1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Image Editing Software Be Banned In The Photo Comp

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by smokey, Sep 30, 2009.

1. smokey

smokey Rockling

Original Quote From Big Cliff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tend to agree with you Alan... tight lines

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Knowing a little about photoshop and what it can and cant do and how difficult it is to use Im more than happy for people to use it and submit thier pictures into the photo comp and I hope noone is thinking of stopping posting thier pics because I like to see the variety. Different peoples skills interest me and Im quite jelous of some of the photography skills that people exhibit here. If I felt that people using photoshop were at an advantage that other forum members couldnt match then I would ban it instantly. My belief is that any advantage in this comp lies with someone who catches a few fish, visits a nice mark etc and thinks of creative ways to photograph them, and GJW is a master at this. The truth of the matter is that every photo that has ever won in the photo comp in the time we have been running it has as far as I can see been a natural point and click picture using nothing other than the cameras settings. Theres maybe been a bit of resizing but that doesnt alter the picture and its required given the sizes of megapixel cameras that are out there these days. PLEASE EVERYONE KEEP POSTING AS THE FORUM NEEDS PICTURES TO STAY INTERESTING.

3. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

I don`t think the use of any photo editing software can actually alter the content of a picture, if it`s a crab the colour or contrast mean nothing compared to what the crab is doing. A picture of someone holding their prize catch is exactly that, a bridge over water with it`s reflection can be taken on most days but the clouds would never be the same. Editing can and does enhance a photo but the picture itself is a one off, as Glenn says point and click or even set up a tripod and wait for the right moment. For me it`s defo the content.

4. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

I agree, the content is extremely important. But lets face it a dogsh't quality shot of some great content may as well not be taken, in the same way that if you do get that amazing pic you've been after (and I have stood around literally well over a hour waiting before) you may as well make it look as good as possible if you can, and add extra quality to the content, which is where Photoshop comes in.

I'd prefer if we left it at that, it's personal opinion and everyone has a right to one :yes: :happy:

Good luck to everyone in this month's comp :happy:

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Must admit I'm not a fan of any enhanced pics entered into the photo comp, but as mentioned already I can just vote for different pics if necessary. Don't get me wrong I actually really appreciate a quality photo but this is a fishing forum not a photography forum. All I'm worried about is if enhanced photos did start winning a few comps then it wouldn't be long before joe bloggs with his standard camera can't be ar#ed entering anymore.

Not having a pop at Superstonic, I think he is a canny lad that takes excellent photos (the brid harbour and seagull pics are great) but I feel any enhancing should be left out of fishing photo comps :happy:

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Its a question of who you put off.

Do you put off the people who dont enhance their images or do you put off people who do (Who I will add are a very small group). It always worries me that when you have this type of discussion you p*ss one group of people off and they stop, which really isnt the ethos of the comp or the wider forum. I think we had something similar before when people were a little upset that other people had better cameras, however we soon got passed that. As Ive already said I want all members to take and post pictures here regardless of how they do it, and as Sam points out, if you dont like an image then dont vote for it. The system is set up to be fair and the result every month reflects the choice of the forum membership.

7. GJW

GJW Rockling

I have a copy of photoshop but i can put hand on heart and say i havent used it on any of my pics on this forum, i have used free version of picassa to maybe crop or straighten a horizon, but never added any effects to enhance picture qaulity, colour etc. apart from a polarizing filter on my camera itself, but then most of my pics are taken on my compact point and shoot August comp the "bass on the fly" taken on the point and shoot in macro mode, i find the DSLR to big to drag about fishing with me anyway..

I too believe its a fishing forum not a photography forum and i believe the pics are judged in the right way..

This is no way a dig at anyone just my opinion, and certainly not at Kev he is a top bloke and a qaulity photographer no doubt about it.

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I have photoshop also and so know the sort of powerful enhancing that can be achieved...ie replacing drab skies with stunning skies ,removing fore ground objects that draw the eye, enhancing colour,correcting exposure etc etc........I have submitted photos in the past with slight exposure correction and comments were made and so the photo's I last submitted were straight from camera.

I'm with Smokey on this one that photo editing software gives an unfair advantage,however most of the overworked shots do stand out as being so.

One thing that I always find strange though regarding the photo comp, is that by its title it is a photo comp and so for me when I see a good fish in a poorly composed badly lit photo and it is congratulated, I have to think why is that poor picture getting the praise ? After all the capture might be an awesome fish but is it really a good photo or a great moment ?

The photo comp has been lacking photos from a wide membership with only a few regularly submitting photos, also fishing reports have been dwindling........why not have a change make the monthly comp one for the best report with pictures.....?

Only a suggestion like.

9. GJW

GJW Rockling

[​IMG]

That pic just taken on the point and shoot in auto, it captures the moment nicely of Matty with his content look with his very first weigh in during a competion and the catch got him 3rd place... :happy:

Anyone who as walked onto Bempton will know its no place for expensive DSLR's and couldnt face the extra weight of carrying it anyway... :laugh:

Tightlines

10. newdave

newdave Guest

plus the cliffs match his hair nicely :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

photoshop is not really an issue though as although the likes of supersonic & jellyworm produce some superb results which border on works of art,those photos just don't attract votes.

that tells me that most people want to see fishing related pictures & sunsets :wink:, but surely its best to let the guys use whatever methods they prefer & let democracy decide what's best.

I also think Jellyworms suggestion has a lot of merit, it might encourage more & better post & fishing reports ?

11. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I think the photos done by Kev look superb and I'd love to have the equipment and ability to create such stunning images myself but i dont normally vote for them - I usually go for photos that capture a fishing moment really well, after all it is a fishing forum. However I dont see why any pictures should be banned as in the end the votes will tell the story

12. carpyken

carpyken New Member

I also think Jellyworms suggestion has a lot of merit, it might encourage more & better post & fishing reports ? Yes like that idea.

But instead of banning software just limit changing of photos to the basic stuff which comes with any photo software then at least they are available to everyone :happy: . For instance you can do all of these online with photobucket -

cropping
    red eye
    hue
    saturation
    brightness
    contrast

I cannot remember, did I once win the photo of the month with a pic stright out of my phone camera :cheesy: ?

13. bucko

bucko New Member

A difficult one as where do you draw the line?
    For instance one mans camera may offer a range of features the others doesn't have.
    I use photoshop on a daily basis at work and while its a great program it can't effect the basics of good photography such as the rule of thirds etc.

14. vtech

vtech Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

It is not a simple one this!.
    I do think jellyworms idea is the way to go for me at least, yet if you look at it another way the skill of the camera operation and editing are all skills as such, and i supose deciding to take the shot and then mabe improve the image you have got is only the begining if you look at it that way.
    And as such if you stop all editing the photographer who thinks like this as and never will be able to finish his photo/ shot.
    I think the keeping it pure aproach is the right thing to do myself. I can see the editing photographers angle i realy can, but leaving well alone is a good leveler and is that way more fair.

15. Supersonic

You're right... how far it can go is infinate. Should I start moaning because I don't live near the sea, so Jellyworm's idea would be a disadvantage to me as I can't get fishing as often as some people, therefore won't put up as many reports and have less chance of winning? Should we close fish of the month competition because some anglers have the ability to get to better marks than others?? Take what you've got and make the best of it.

As Ken said the main tools for improving the look of photographs are available for free on Photobucket. I use no other tools than these for a standard brush up of pics which I put in reports etc. They are available to everyone, and everyone gets software free with their cameras which they can use. In my opinion if you're too lazy to explore these options you cannot begrudge someone who has. I think that penalising someone because they put extra effort into something they are entering in a competition, where the winner is to be democratically chosen from a wide range of photographs is bullsh't. If you don't like it, don't vote for it. Simple.

16. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I don't think that people are winning the pic of the month purely on their skill at using photoshop. Personally I find that some of them are "overdone" to their detriment. Theres no substitute for a good pic and by that it could be the capturing of a moment, which is something that P Shop cannot do. The hall of fame was initially set up to get anglers posting pics with a story behind it, which it still does to a degree. I feel that we might get less pics if they have to have an accompanying story as often there is'nt one, it just happens to be a good picture. I thought supersonics euro tour with accompanying pics was a real good read even though it had nothing to do with fishing. I know it's a fishing site pimarily but I'm still interested in reading/looking at pics from any of our members. As with fishing I think the onus is on others to raise their game rather than level the playing field. Good discussion nonetheless.

17. Supersonic

:yes:

18. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Go to the title of this section ,read it ,then digest it ,need i say more, and i dont meen the title of this post i am talking about the title of this part of thr forum :gum:

19. ohmycod

ohmycod New Member

I use photoshop to tone down highlights and enhance tonal gradients. Makes the picture more pleasing on the eye. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As already stated, the content can't be altered and this is what counts.

20. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

Does it really matter. The simple facts are, some use editing, some don`t, the end result is a picture we all view on our computer screen, not something hung in a gallery. Do our computers not add their own editing, different screen resolution, different colour setting, different types of screen, even the light in the room you use your computer. All these things effect what you see anyway. The question "Should Image Editing Software Be Banned In The Photo Comp" is purely academic, I can`t see any real reason why things need to be changed, surely the fact that members are taking part should be appreciated by all, regardless.