1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Charter Boats Have A Commercial Licence And Be Subject To Quota Rules

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Vulcan, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Vulcan

Vulcan Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Whilst reading the topic about Hugh Fearnley Whittingstalls Marine Conservation Zones I enjoyed the debate and picked up on a few issues, non more so than Smokeys assertion that charter boat owners should be classed as commercial fishermen as they make their living from fishing.

I wonder if any charter skippers could make clear their perception of the situation. Do they see themselves as commercial or pleasure anglers.

Also what do the general readers of this site think. Should charter boats have a licence. Should charter boats have a quota, as Smokey argues small commercial boats are restricted to a couple of boxes of cod a week while charter boats take a couple of boxes an hour.

2. deano72

deano72 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

To start. I would love to go on the boat u go on that can catch a couple of Box s in couple hrs.
    Commercial boat s keep all their fish to sell. Charter boats the fish is for who ever catches it..

3. bucko

bucko New Member

Bang on Dean.
    I can't help feeling the original poster has an agenda and is waiting for a 'bite'.
    And...once again the supermarkets escape the whole debate with their fully stocked fish counters that you never see anyone using.

4. lucy may

lucy may Blenny

Here we go again, not quite sure you have got all of your facts right there fella, "charter boats take a couple of boxes an hour"!! When may I ask did you last go on a charter boat that took a couple of boxes an hour, the charter boats I see at Whitby work hard to give there paying customers a good day out for pleasure, should they have a quota? No in my view, its not the charter boats that are doing the damage, I think you (who ever you are Vulcan) need to look a bit deeper rather than pick on a small sector of people who use the sea, its a big place and there are more than just charter skippers and pleasure anglers in small boats out there! HFW has some good points but I view him with caution!

dave

5. deano72

deano72 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Maybe u right bucko. He looking for lot's of bitez to fill a couple off pages fast lol :laugh:

6. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

I thought the same lads when i read the post.

7. brially

brially Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

as lucy may said I agree ,as an older angler I can see problems with the pleasure anglers going out on boats and on the beach, where will it end. WE arnt commercial anglers, Its a hobby a pass ,time , we arntm the local sea fishermen going for crab,, lobster, earn a living. As much as admire our local fisermen our government is looking after the forign boats,, french,, spanish, russian, what chance have have we got. As to our friend ,hfw,s He might be right in some of things he said, But not on our coast.. Let me put it another way i am 64 years old i have seen it all , the holderness coast is the best, the rock marks better,I still fish and catch.. Nobody can take that away from me
    ,,, Bri,,,

8. I am quite happy to add the 1x12" Pouting I have manged to catch between my last 2 charter trips into the quota !!! and I am sure Mrs U will add her 2 blanks

:embarrass: :embarrass: :embarrass:

9. Tubaluk

Tubaluk New Member

In one word: NO

10. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

This topic has been brought up many times by commercial fishermen in the past but as soon as it was mentioned charterboats get the quota out of the main pot all the screaming would stop in an instant ,there is a lot of charterboats that are over 10mtr they would go into a bigger pott what about track records with your boat some lads have held a licence to charter for years you can argue that ,instead of worrying about charterboats what you should be doing is asking defra is it fair that manchester united who has nothing to do whats so ever with commercial fishing hold something like 26% of toal cod quota allocated un the uk and lease it off to the highest bidder how many tons of cod is that.

Charterboats take anglers to sea for pleaseure they dont put it up on the fish quay to sell plus charterboats dont make money out selling lobsters and crabs and dont make money out of catching salmon and sea trout there are a lot of charteboats tied up most of the time give them quota out of the pott and screams would be insane from the big boys in industry the bottom line is anglers who fish on charterboats do it solely for pleasure we have no DISCARDS and in real terms are only a blip as to what goes on out there in the big sea.

Is leasing quota right or wrong how many ex skippers who sit at home no longer in the industry lease there quota to the higest bidder those are the questions you should be asking DEFRA if charterboats did get a psl and we did ge t quota it would actually mean less for smokey as there would be less in the pott , under 10ss do not get a fair deal with the quota system compaired to the over 10ss it stinks but shouting about charterboats getting a PSL licence it would make a doggy do do of difference infact it just would make things a lot worse for smokey its defra who is your problem.

paul.

11. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

How long do you think the charter boats would last if you couldnt take the fish you caught.
    after spending 20 /30 quid on fuel to get to the coast ,6 quid parking ,then the charter to pay for ,thats a dear day out for most people ,if you couldnt take what you caught home [if you catch anything] iwouldnt give the charter industry 6 months.
    think of what the anglers spend round whitby after the fishing ,cafe.fish n chips,a few pints, guest houses .
    think it would be madness to even contemplate a quota on them.

frank.

12. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Charterboats contribute massively to local economy lads stay over and spend large sums of money in the pubs ,tackle shops restaurants etc a fish caught on rod and line is worth a lot of money to local economy .

paul.

13. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

"what you should be doing is asking defra is it fair that manchester united who has nothing to do whats so ever with commercial fishing hold something like 26% of toal cod quota allocated un the uk and lease it off to the highest bidder how many tons of cod is that."

And even though I know sod all about football, I do know that Man United are owned by a couple Americans.

Roger

14. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Roger manchester united have held cod quota for many years long before the american fellows purchased the club they make vast sums of money leaseing cod quota which truth be know can cause discards on mass as if you are paying top dollor for cod quota you need the best quality cod to go in the box to get the highest price good quality smaller fish get thrown back over the side its called selective grading and its madness.

paul.

15. jethro

jethro New Member

I remember in the 70s and 80s fishing down south (Weymouth, Plymouth etc,,) where the skipper on the charter boats told you that you could only keep 2 fish and the rest was the boats. I don't know if this still happens, but it sure was bad practice for some of the boats and they did'nt stay in business for too long.

16. ndgough

ndgough www.sbac.webs.com - Scarborough boat Angling Club

If charter boats were keeping the catch or selling the catch then yes they should be on a quota.

but as most charter boats only take what customers wants and the rest get put back into the sea (most of the time alive) then they shouldn't be under a quota. also if they get put on a quota in the future i cant see skippers continuing to run their boats as they would have to charge even more.

With fuel prices only ever going up it is already having a strong impact on the pricing of charter boats trips, and the speed and distance skippers are travelling compared to a few years ago.

As Roger Melley said about Manchester united owing a cod quota, this shouldnt be going on and in my opinion quota should only be owned by the fisherman. as this causes some of the unnecessary discards.

17. ndgough

ndgough www.sbac.webs.com - Scarborough boat Angling Club

Worryingly i have heard on several occasions from passengers when i have been crewing on boats. That this is still going on recently and locally.

unfortunately the skippers what do this give the likes of defra a bad impression of charter boats as well as unsatisfied customers.

18. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I cant recall ever been on a charter trip where anyone returned fish, other than undersized ones of course. Either they keep it or give it to a friend. Not that I fish a lot on the boats but I aint ever seen catch and release practiced.

Do they practice catch and release at other ports ??

19. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Most the skippers I know usually give their fish to the customers. I know Rich Cope and Rich Ward do as Ive seen them do it.

20. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

Surprisingly I have anglers who do put their fish back. If anglers chose to do that its entirely up to them.