1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shore pegged gill nets

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bobby, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobby

bobby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I went for a stroll down to one of my favourite fishing spots on saturday morning with the dogs just to have abit of a recky in day light, hopeful of finding some deep holes or maybe leads that could be re used or melted down off i went on the hunt. one of my dogs was showing abit to much interest on a certain spot and wouldnt come when shouted ( nothing new) so off i went to see what he had found, I was quite suprised to see him sniffing a small billet that was entangled in a rather large gill net that had obviously been pegged out the previous low tide!!! Thinking il take the net out and get rid of it got me thinking that maybe it might be getting watched by the fisheries agency for the owner to return so reluctantly i walked away not wanting to risk any unwanted punishment. What would you guys have done if you were in the same situation?

2. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

if there was any good fish to be had , well hmmmm :hungry:

and the net, well what can you do if you hav'nt a knife on you :whistle:

3. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Call me sceptical bobby but has this post been designed to cause a stir?

If you felt so strongly about taking it out, surely you would not only have contacted the fisheries, but also, I would have thought, named the place where it was. Or have you already done this?

You,ve painted a nice picture, apart from the bit where you were surprised to see a billet before a "rather large gill net" but you have left a few grey areas. Perhaps you can fill them in for us first!

4. god ov all cod

god ov all cod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

kept my nose out nothing 2 do with any1 if its not theres

5. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

Get it raided

6. Lobbers

thats what i said benn, but you cant find a sharp bit of slate anywhere :angry:

7. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

I'd have left well alone but reported it - if you take it it's theft, if you cut it up it's criminal damage :whatever:
    You never know - there might be a legitimate reason for it being there :cheesy:

8. steerser

steerser Blenny

The lad hasn't replied, regarding the size of the net.
    Any less than 10 metres long.
    It's perfectly legal.
    How big was the net mate?.

9. Lobbers

if your going to leave a net out like that, be there at low water, to collect your catch, if you cant make the early hours, well some might. i have never personaly came across such nets, but if i did, and found good fish flapping around in the middle of the night, i would do my best to support them till the tide came in :laugh:

10. simmo

simmo stay calm and carry on

the net might be the right mesh size and length but im sure you have 10m of water over it at low water so it should not of been there???

11. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Most users of the above method are most likely to never be seen , let alone leave a net exposed.

Are you sure that it was tethered at the ends? you say it was "pegged", could it be a section of net that had been caught up & overtime washed up? if so this is what can cause problems to all ,fish birds, props & anglers caught up if wading.

The most annoying method is lazy people who lay out individual hooks on the beach, dont retrieve them in time & some dogs (especially greedy labs) end up with hooks in the mouth, not nice.

12. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Quite afew years ago fishing down saltwick nab then went on whitby scaure came across 2 nets shot on the scaure the 1st one had about 9 or 10 sea trout in it the second had about 6 or 7 have you tasted fresh sea trout its lovelly. :yes:

paul.

13. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

Some people have licences to shot them from the shore where was it

14. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

These werent licenced nets ben.

paul.

15. boro roy

boro roy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

we have the same problem on the fylde coast with some nets teatherd from groin to groin,also set lines not checked at low tide either full of dead flatfish? a good filleting knife makes short work of these

16. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Paul,
    years ago on Hummersea a old bloke called "spragg heart" used to make his living from silvers, when we went crabbing down there he used to leave us the flats /dogfish on the scars that were no good to him.

He even used to get Tope sometimes & loads of mackarel, perhaps foo can remember him, many old timers used to use the coast for a bit of beer money.Yes fresh sea trout is very tasty !

17. bobby

bobby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

This thread wasnt created to stir anything up at all intentionaly, the net was well over 10m in length and it was tied at both ends with rope around large boulders just to the left of hummersea steps. I only mentioned the net as i was unhappy leaving it but didnt want to risk anything by moving it, i didnt see the net initialy as it was flat to the scar and wasnt expecting to stumble across it, cant say if there was any decent sized fish in it i just witnessed the small billet :whistle: :whistle:

18. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Remember him well mate along with many others and even ones who challenged and beat the prosecuting authorities on various technicalities (Dixy rip). I can even recall a certain gent who shall remain nameless kicking a close to 20lb bass around the scarr at Hummersea because it had the cheek to tangle his net and prevent silvers going in it. That must of been 20 years ago.
    At this time of year the net in question will almost definitely be a local after a couple of codlings for the pot. I have said it before and I will say it again, anyone who tampers with a net on the scarrs at Skinny, wether with good intentions or otherwise, be prepared for the consequences. You will almost certainly have been watched as the locals do tend to keep an eye out on "outsiders" going over the rocks and with good cause as it has saved a few lives on occasion. Not meaning to create a response here just telling you how it is lads and will almost certainly be the same in any small coastal village throughout the british isles where fish are a way of life and the sea a natural larder.

19. halibut man

halibut man Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice one foo Like you i know who those nets belong to and i think it unwise to touch them.But if you do i will bet my last dollar you will be seen and and there will be trouble.Another thing if you rod lads touch them your cars are very vunerable on the top of those cliffs??

20. god ov all cod

god ov all cod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well sed fellas i know whos they are and totaly agree be aware for the things that will happen wouldnt like 2 be you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.