1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shore Fishing

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Haka007, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Haka007

Haka007 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Better Than All The Rest!

Hi just after a bit of advice if you don't mind, where along the NE Coast is ideal for fishing this time of year I'm meaning the likes of piers and beaches.
    Also what fishes them best night or day?
    I currently fish south gare but have done sandsend beach.
    I know that most places are near enough empty this time of year so plenty time for practice and getting to know the area.
    Thanks guys look forward to any replies.

Sent from my Retro GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

2. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

when conditions warm up a bit, you will have a better chance trying for bass

along the groynes area at Redcar, up to hazelgrove at Saltburn.

you can try light bottom fishing with rag, squid, lug, spratts when the conditions arnt suitable for plugging etc.

when using lures, try early morning prior to daybreak, dusk into darkness for surface poppers etc.

other species like flatties ,billet etc are also available if you want to persue them.

you can also try both the riverside/sandy point sides of the gare for bass& mackerel etc

as you already fish the gare.

others may add to how /best methods for other areas both south & north of the gare for you to try.

theres plenty of scope for you to try.

3. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

We are moving into what is usually our leanest time of the year , although there is still the chance of a good fish , once the peelers start
    showing the fishing will start to pick up , flaties from the shore lines / harbours , cod from the many kelp beds along the north east coast
    right now places like mulgrave ,cowbar , boulby given the right conditions can all do the biz , very good bags have come from boulby
    gulley in April , the jetty at Skinningrove [ take care there ] can give some really good fishing in May for cod using fresh crab baits , then
    of course there should be quite a few Bass showing at several marks along our coast with baits like ragworm / peeler crab once the bait
    fish show up lures can be a very good way to take them

4. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Aye up mate

Best place at the moment for a few fish is your local chippy.

I had a nice cod from the Trawler in Drighlington the other day.

Cheeper than buying bait and half a tank of fuel as well.

LOL

BP

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I would second what has already been said. Feb through to late April is without doubt the least productive period on this coast. Get ready for bass on bait in mid to late April, flounders will come in once the crabs peel and the weather warms up, summer cod will appear mid may if weather is settled.

6. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Runswick bay round by the yaught club at this time of the year can shock you fesh worm i would say best the cod at this time of year tend to be on rock edges near the sand or actually on the sand people tend to stick to the same marks big mistake at this time of year east row at sandsend can throw fish out best around high water on a big tide .

paul.

7. Haka007

Haka007 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Better Than All The Rest!

Re: Re: Shore Fishing

Yea i found saltburn chippy is a beauty.
    Thanks for all the useful advice and tips!!
    I was thinking of getting out next week one day maybe thursday, with the day off make a full day of it. Try dig up me own bait, I'm fancying Runswick to be honest.

Sent from my Retro GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

8. bobby

bobby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

4 of us fished Runswick wed night for 1 rockling, all baits were used, 2 of us at the life boat beach and 2 at the boat house, a guy on holiday came down and said he had tried to fish the last 4 tides high and low and hadn't had a bite and he seemed to know what he was talking about!