1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shore fishing - how many site members have NEVER caught a double figure cod?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by wilky, Oct 10, 2012.

1. wilky

wilky Blenny

Reading Glenn's shore double post makes me green with envy, and I am feeling extremely left out - so here's a post for those that feel left out!

I have been shore fishing for 47 years and never got close. OK most of my fishing has been on the shallow west coast beaches, but to date my best is a measly 4.5lb, and that was about 30 years ago. No brushes with monsters to report either.

2. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

I'm in this club, biggest from shore is 8lb8oz, I been sea fishing over 20 years but never done it seriously, my excuse lol, getting into big time so hope to get a double sometime soon.

3. bucko

bucko New Member

I can't seem to top 10lb even off the boats- had a few close and ling above that figure.
    Its a bit sobering when I've caught bigger trout and salmon than I have cod!
    Still- I am more than happy with a steady stream of 3-8lb fish.

4. jethro

jethro New Member

Best cod from the shore.....6lbs 4oz... I think thats why I don't do much shore fishing these days. I'm basically crap at it. Had more blanks than good sessions.
    I'll stick to boat fishing... :cry:

Jethro

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

me. biggest 9lb 8oz

6. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

I belong in this 1, biggest 8lb10oz off RHBay wall.......before yesterday my 2nd biggest was 7lb2oz, caught 3 exactly same weight...........

7. Tubaluk

Tubaluk New Member

Never caught one in 50 years fishing. The only one have seen in all that time is pictures online or in fishing magazines. Do they really exist? lol.

8. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

As long as you go to the right places and do the right things its only ever a cast away , you arent doing anything different then bang its on , to a large extent
    you are in the lap of the gods , the first one I got was in cowbar gulley , I cast the reel blew up the bait dropped about 15 yards out , then bang a 14 lb took the
    bait , good luck ? destiny ?

9. imonlycoddin

imonlycoddin Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i had my biggest shore cod last year from port mullgrave it was 9lb 5. fingers crossed the double comes this year :pray:

10. Pollock Kid

Pollock Kid New Member

I'm in this club too sadly ! Hopefully not for too long but I ain't guna hold my breath

11. Woodsmanuk

Woodsmanuk @woodsmanuk

This will be my second proper winter, I hope to catch a Cod worth the name, my first.

Fingers x'ed

12. potholer

potholer Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yes i'm in this club too 30 year's fishing my 2 biggest 7lb 7.5oz goldsbrough and 7lb 2.4 bird flight one day i hope a pig come's calling :sad: :sad: :sad:

13. ndgough

ndgough www.sbac.webs.com - Scarborough boat Angling Club

Im in this group too had a 10lb Pollock from the boat and several double ling from the boat but still my best cod from boat is 9lb 8oz and from the shore only half of that.

lost a fish last year on the shore and I am positive it would of been a double from the size of its tail but it wasn't meant to be.

I am going back to the same mark this winter to see if i can finally manage to land one.

14. er.....mmm....I have never caught a cod from the shore !!

:embarrass: :embarrass: :embarrass: :embarrass:

15. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i had the daddy of all cod off blackpool north pier about 25yrs ago easily a 20 , some fool tangled his line around mine as i held it on the surface waiting for the drop net ,the idiot decided to cut his line to help ,the pillock cut mine instead aaarghhh i nearly killed him .went back next tide & had a 6lber

16. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Me in this club as well, 9lb,12oz, caught first cast in a Saltburn club match,
    think it was the year foot and mouth closed the cliff path at Kettleness, ,

i had walked from kettleness to Goldsbrough just, got two fish in my first two casts,
    the other was 7lb,4oz, weighed in about five hours after they were caught ,

a good couple of pound of sh1te in my fish bag :sad:

17. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Nearly killed him ? Bloody hell I would have done life over that, what a doil.

18. snap off!

snap off! Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

howdo, why do you all seem disappointed at the fish you have had thers some nice sized ones mentioned there, my biggest

cod of the shore is 8lb 4, from hillstones, in november 2009, it hit me like a train givin my little arms a work out, i was

chuffed to bits, (still am) it only takes one cast to catch the double,

19. gibby

gibby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

mine is a 8lb 60z down hawsker north

20. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

exactly the same story for me, apart from the location ...my abu9000 twin speed blew up in a very strong headwind at balcary flat rock in the early 80's when i started fishing.... untangled the nest and noticed my line was vertical ... i pulled a 14lb er from below my feet.... my one and only double...
    cheers
    Paul

ooops.....really this should be in the other post about who has caught a double!!!! sorry...