1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shore Fishing - How Many Site Members Have Ever Caught A Double Figure Cod.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 9, 2012.

1. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

That was my first double figure Cod from the shore last night. 11lb 7oz form Kettleness.
    Cheers Col.

2. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

nice one col mint fish matey

3. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Me but i had to go to Norway.

Mick.

4. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

There is double figure cod all over the place

paul.

5. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

Except on my rod

6. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

You never know benn it could be another ship double.

paul.

7. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

Hopefully bud

8. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

Don't give him any silly ideas Paul.

9. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

Watch this space 20lber coming up

10. pippen

pippen Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I like your optimisim Ben but it's got my name all our it a nice 20lber lol some will defo get one this year

11. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

i did'nt know your name is lobbers scott, you've allready had one of my port pigs , the 20 is mine :yes:

12. woody

woody New Member

I cheated 26,12 from norway and 14,6 from norway , im going to be silly and predict that someone gets a 20 this season watch this space .......

13. nicky

nicky Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cheers Ian will not forget the big boys in a hurry i will still be telling the storys when im in th old peoples home :laugh:

14. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

15. Baramundi Bob

16. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Not me yet but i live in hope......

17. seanyrooroo

seanyrooroo Pig Hunter

15th of october 1998

Lovely sea running from the south east. I was 18 and when my dad offered me the oportunity of a trip up the coast I jumped at it. Back then I wasnt as clued up and bait always consisted of what I'd collected during the summer and shop bought worms. We arrived at Cambois around 8pm, it was 1hr till low water. This was the first time we had fished this mark and walking along the beach we could see there were piles of good stamped fish laying next to most people boxes. My mouth was watering and I set up so quick i missed 2 rings out when threading my line through lol. Needless to say I cracked off first cast. My dad passed his competative genes onto me and I wasnt impressed as he pulled a 3lber in on his first chuck and then gloatingly announced one - nil. The cod seemed to disappear and be replaced by coalies for an hour or so. I had around a dozen in no time but my dad couldnt buy one haha. As the tide started flooding in I decided to try an all bait cocktail. I put a lot of every bait we had onto my 4/0 pennel and my dad was laughing his ass of at the bait which dwarfed my 6oz lead. I belted it for all i was worth and put the rod into the stand. About 10 minutes later I had a small rattle and I picked up the rod. "Coalie" said my dad as I waited for a more positive bite. It rattled again but not huge and sensing another coalie I struck and at first thought I was fast. Then it dawned that I was fishing sand, so I pulled again only this time it pulled back. Ive got weed I thought as i wound as hard as I could. Then the weed started nodding its head and swimming off to the right. Ive got a good fish on here I said to my dad. No, its just a coalie and some weed he laughed. Around 20yds out the coalie and weed started thrashing its huge dorsals and tail about as it panicked in shollow water. My dad started to wade out muttering something like f***ing coalie and weed, suddenly he froze and then shouted f**kin hell. At this point i couldnt see what was going on but could feel the fish going mental. He bent down into the surf and picked up a monster. As he walked back he was just laughing and swearing his head off at me. I didnt really feel anything other than pain in my arms. He walked right up to me and literally threw the fish at me. As it lay there on the sand I couldnt believe the size of it. A guy from our left came over and congratulated me and then weighed it for me. 12lb 8oz. I was over the moon and i couldnt stop looking at it or talking about it. My dad was disgusted and that made it even sweeter. 7lbs bigger than his pb still to this day lol. I'm sure theres an old printed photo at my mothers of me with it but I havent seen it in years

23rd January 2008

A lad I fish with regular now had only been fishing a couple of months when he asked me to go out one wild Wednseday night. No mate, I dont want to go out fishing, its blowing a gale from the S/W the sea is flat, its a waste of time I told him. But its crap fishing alone he whined. He wouldnt stop pestering me so I decided to humour him and join him for a couple of hours. On arrival at horden beach the sea was flat as hell and the wind was howling. I baited up and chucked in and went over to help my mate. I didnt really bother looking at my rod tip as I wasnt expecting much. I used 2/0 hooks to stop me catching little stuff and tried to keep my worm baits quite big. I remember my first 3 casts going well over a 100yds with an almighty tailwind. On my 4th chuck I noticed a few rattles and picked up the rod, even with a strong wind I could feel the fish return and I struck. Fish on I said to my mate but its not very big. In came a nice plump winter flounder around 1lb 8oz, with both 2/0 hooks in its rse. I unclipped my rig and clipped my next one on, blasting it to the horizon. I sat on my box and left my mate watching the rods while I tried to unhook the flounder. Not one minute later my mate started screaming Sean,Sean. My initial though was a good old whitey rattle on my tip but when I looked up my rod was rocking its way out of the stand. I struck staright from the rest and straight away I knew this was no flounder lol. This is big I said to my mate, as my rod repeatedly lunged over and over. The fish started to kite off to the left, around 30yds further left than I had cast. The sea was flat and I wasnt expecting cod and by the way it fought I was convinced it was a good bass. The area in front shallows to just a couple of feet of water and as the fish came closer three huge dorsals appeared to let me know that it was cod. I asked my mate to pull it onto the beach for me and in his inexperience he grabbed my rod tip. I screamed at him to get off it and just as he did the fish turned seawards and starting thrashing like hell in one last attempt at freedom. I turned its head and walked backwards up the beach until it was safely on the sand in front. My mate was practically doing back flips and I was no better a couple of minutes later when it sank in. All the commotion had attracted two lads further down the beach, they ran up and joined in swearing at the size of it lol. I certainly wasnt fishing for it and it was just purely a case of right place right time!! I didnt get it weighed till the next evening and it weighed in at 10lb 10oz. It may have given my pb a run for its money when first caught. I managed another mop a little later just to add insult to injury for my mate, who only managed a pin whitey and a tiny flounder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7th February 2009

Cold wouldnt describe how the weather was this day, Baltic perhaps would be a better description. It was -6 when we set off late afternoon to Cambois. Heavy blizzards in a biting Northerly wind made for uncomfortable fishing. We decided on the pier as we were wary of weed on Cambois beach. After two hours of freezing conditions and loads of weed we were hacked off and just about ready to head home early. As we came off the pier and drove away we all looked at how perfect the beach looked, it was nearing 2 hours before low and the perfect time to fish it. We stopped and I went down and chucked an unbaited trace out and left it 5 minutes. No weed so we all unpacked our gear again and started fishing. My first bait was in the water no more than 2 minutes and weed pulled my rod out of the stand, covering my reel with sand. My language was blue. Cold, angry and to be quite honest Id had enough and was contemplating just packing up when I had an epiphany. I decided to fish the rock edges to get over the top of the weed. I left the lads without even speaking and stomped off to the rocks. First cast while waiting for my favourite ledge to be exposed I managed a small mop which I returned. 2nd cast on my prefered ledge and I had a small pull down and the rod stayed down. Picking up my rod it rattled and I struck. I was only fishing around 60yds out and the ground is exceptionally heavy. I just pumped and wound for all my life was worth and prayed my gear would hold out. I wasnt sure on the size of the fish until i got it into a deep gulley on my left hand side. I could see a nice fat little cod shaking its head. I waited for the swell to lift the fish onto the flat edge in front of me and when I tried to grab it the fish rolled over and back into the sea on the right hand side. I kept my head and got the fish back into the gulley on the left and again used the swell to lift the fish. This time I practically jumped on it and put my foot on top of it to stop it getting away. I picked it up, took it back to where my box was and put it down. My phone was ringing over and over in my chest pocket of my waders but I ignored it and put my pre baited trace back out. I dried my hands and answered the phone to my mate. He asked if Id just pulled a fish in as they could see something going on from a couple hundred yds away. Yes, I have mate, I replied. Any size? He said. Dunno mate about 9-10lb I replied and he hung up. I joke you not I practically turned round and my mate was there behind me lol. My mate popped it on the scales and they read 10lb 13oz. Double number 3 and it felt just as good as the first. I took another couple of fish and lost another about 6lb at my feet before calling it a night. Its funny how such a bad session can come good if you persevere enough. I always remeber never feeling cold again for the rest of the night after landing it lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Baramundi Bob

Cheers for that great write up there Seanyroo.

19. Kevin Thompson

Kevin Thompson New Member

Three for me, can't remember the dates.
    First one was from Hayburn Wyke many years ago. I remember it well as I had managed to gather a large edible peeler in the summer and had been saving it to catch my first double. I can't remember what match we were fishing but it was a night match and I was fishing with my brother Ian. The forecast predicted good conditions and the tide was perfect for our favourite spot at Hayburn Wyke so I took the edible in the hope it would produce the goods. A few casts later and there I was with my first double on the rocks landed by Ian and caught on the crab I had been saving, I can still remember the feeling now.
    My second was caught in a local club match in January from the submarine gulley, Speeton completely on my own (how I like to fish). I have spent many hours down there over the years and it is one of my favourite places to fish, as much for the memories as anything else as it is where I learnt a lot about club fishing and it has contributed a lot to my successful seasons. It was the same day as an open match on a Sunday, I think the Ship Open, but I had opted to fish my club match as I was in with a very good chance of winning the aggregates and did not want to compromise my chances of winning. The mark I fished I had not fished so early in the tide before but I had not had any success anywhere else so went there early. I remember baiting with cart, dog crab and worm and when I cast I thought that has gone further than normal. The bite was tiny but enough to get me interested. I picked the rod up and it went away in the tide, I struck into it and knew it was a good fish. The ground there is very rough so it was a tough getting it in but when I saw it in the white rocks and boulders I knew it was a double. When weighed it was around 11lb. The fish would have won the open, i think Paul Medd won with a fish 10lb from Tynemouth pier? I wasn't bothered though, as the fish consolidated my lead at the top of the aggregates and I cleaned up the trophies that year. To me fishing is not about the money, it is about putting your name on the trophies that have so much heritage and history.
    The third was about fours years ago from Saltwick, again I was fishing my local club match and had driven up to look at a mark before the match. The movement was perfect but the state of the tide was not right but I knew it would be in the last hour and half of my match. I went elsewhere and caught nothing so returned later for darkness. Second cast I had a good bite and missed it. I couldn't believe it as I knew it was a good fish. Two casts later I had an almost identical bite and thought, this is the same fish! This time I struck straight into the fish and when I landed it I knew it was a double. Both bites were on big edible and mussel baits. This fish was satisfying as it taught me I was making progress and was starting to understand marks and how to fish them.

20. simon22

simon22 Rockling

The 2 doubles i had were both on sea otter. First was 2010 i think. Feb and the sea was like glass. First time i had used shads . Paul took us out to the nine mile in 10 drops had 10 fish on the 11th drop hooked onto a fish on shad and squid head. I knew it was bigger as i could not reel and line was taken from reel. Went 13.02. Second was this years uptiding festivel. Very last cast of the day five mins to go very tiny bit which i took for a bleg. Wound down rod went over and fish hung in the tide. Got it up went 13.04. Lost best cod by 8oz but came second