1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shore Fishing - How Many Site Members Have Ever Caught A Double Figure Cod.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Capt Caves Man

Capt Caves Man Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have caught 4

1st and biggest 16lb 3oz from Ravenscar 28th Jan 1995
    11lb 1oz Saltwick 27th Dec 1995
    10lb 4oz South Hawsker 25th Jan 2000
    11lb 12oz Marine Drive 24th Jan 2012.

Would imagine most of the big fish come out after Christmas and before end of Jan 7 out of my top ten fish have. Had a twelve year wait for my 4th double and many hours fishing in that time. Possibly lost a couple off in that time who knows.

2. simon22

simon22 Rockling

A double, lol lol. Never had a cod from the shore, not many in stockport

3. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

19 doubles, mainly ten pounders, cant get one over 13lb, i could sit here and write stories about lost monsters, glenn will recall one monster in the early nineties i lost off whitby west.

ive had 7 over 10lb off saltburn pier, 5 off whitby west, 3 off east pier, 3 of port mullgrave, 1 cowbar jetty.

in one year(not one winter), i had five doubles, the first came from saltburn pier in january, big nor grounswell, 11lb 9oz, beached, next cast lost a 15lb plusser, then another a few weeks later 10lb 10oz off whitby west, then a totall unexpected double again off west pier, but it was late april, i went on whitby west after a good northerly, and caught an 11lb 7oz in broad daylight, it was a female with two big spent roe sacks in its saggy belly, would have bean 14lb pluss a few weeks earlier before it had spawned. then i had two doubles later in the year down port, one sat night and one sunday night in club match 10lb 8oz and 10lb 15oz, the latter in me club match. a year or two earlier i had two doubles off whitby west in two nights, evrybodies scales went into those fishes mouths on the pier, because it was all "that ten pound paul cant have had another", but he had :yes:
    one of my best was an 11pound goldfish off east pier in june, followed by 9pounder ten mins later, both propper red
    i could go on, my last doubler was off the red darlek in 2007, ive bean very close several times, even stupidly lost obvious doubles since, but number 20 is a long time coming. i dont fish anywhere near the amount of hours i used to, its all about the amount of time you put in, i have been very lucky and very unlucky with big cod, the last five years very unlucky, but i know number twenty will come.

i never thought of just taking a picture of a kodak, nice one ramrod, i have loads of big fish pics to do, theres loads of me with doubles on this site , lobbers pics etc, but when i have time i will get to work taking pics of pics :yes:

my first is the most memorable though, 19 years ago off whitby west, 10lb 4oz weighed at whitby tackle on a big scale they had hanging off the seeling in the shop. i had caught loads of cod that year from saltburn pier, sandsend carpark, and whitby west, so not being too clued up i kept on fishing, as long as there was sea i was out. i had'nt had fish for ages but was still keen, it was may by now but a big northerly put me on the west pier, i parked up behind the lighthouse so i did'nt come back to a car covered in seaweed(i'd learned that by now), as i walked on a bloke with all the gear stopped me and said" your braver than me, here you go", he stuffed a big bundle of newspaper in my hand, "good yellows them lad", to me he just gave me a massive wrap of lug. i set up on the end , got soaked a number of times, but nomatter how much lug i put on the hook, i was crabbed off. then just before high water as daylight was creeping in, my rod tip started moving. ooohh thats different, i started to reel in, nod nod, i had this fish at the side of the pier, how i landed it is well hmmm. but it was washed right up the pier, i have several bleeding line cuts, i get the fish out of the water, the top of a wave hits it, and it swings like a peendulum, slicing deeper into my finger, but the hook hoolds, bit by bit it gets closer, when i swung it onto the boards, well that was it a bit of dancing, but mainly , couldnt take my eyes off it, bloody monster , i walked off the pier that morning with the fish in my hand, proud as punch all the way to whitby tackle shop to get it weighed, then had a big greasy brekkie in bills next door :yes:

4. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

What you should have paul was drop net they became popular in the late 70ss big fish started to get landed but i myself didnt bother and lost many well into double figures myself and andy marr fished a club match one night on bernies ledge in the 70ss and got smashed 5 times couldnt get them out of the water incredible reallly but i stopped fishing the cliffs at sandsend and fished saltwick more simply because if you got a big fish you could land it and it started to pay off .

paul.

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=28644.0

6. kingsa2

kingsa2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

This is my one and only so far, caught at Port the date on the pic is accurate.

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx280/kingsa2/DSCN2174.jpg

This winter I think will get me my second, nothing wrong with being an optimist is there!

7. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

There should be a drop net on the peir at all times its big fish place,

paul.

8. Bernie

Bernie Blenny

Re Glenn's comment about the late Eric Thompson he had a hand in my capture of my biggest - a 14lber off Whitby East Pier extension (remember that mark?) back in the late 70s. It was late afternoon on Boxing Day, a big sea and as I went onto the pier I passed Eric who said he'd just lost a big fish dropped off and had left a pile of mussel where he'd hooked it quite close in on a big ball of mussel. I put a big ball of his mussel on and got it (assuming it was the same fish) 1st cast!

I had 45lb line on then because a few years before I'd lost a bigger fish there - got it half way up before the snood snapped :wounded:. It was found by a dog walker next day dead on the scaur with my hook in it and officially weighed at Whitby Angling at 18lb !

I also had one 10lb from Runswick beach, 10lb from Rabbit Holes and 14lb from Dungeness back then all on lugworm.

Biggest fish I saw was I witnessed Willy Hodgson get a 23lber from Sandsend Beach in the early 70s which was pretty amazing, fishing in a hole which was fast running out of water on the last of the ebb.

Along with the East Pier Saltwick was always rated as a big fish spot (Big Cod's success there in September was remarkable) but then again as he says it had the advantage of being at sea level so you've a good chance of landing them. Watersplatter had a spate of doubles from RHB sea wall when it was first built and washed out worms etc were attracting them but he used to take a drop net.

9. Baramundi Bob

well done Pippin, welcome to a very exclusive club.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=28969.0

10. clifftoprunner1

clifftoprunner1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

4 for me last one in whitby open this year 12lb exactly

had 2 in one match back in the 80,s both about 11lb and one about 8lb same match 3 fish for 30lb as a junior won the junior aggregate with 180lb that year the good old days

lost one absolute monster couple of years ago hook must of gone rite into its stomach and pulled a part regurgitated codling from its stomach pure white the skin had gone would of been over a 1lb and a half mop it must of eaten it whole maybe couple of days earlier lost it close in it was v v big :sad: :sad:

11. bigcod31

bigcod31 Peter Mcfarlane kaskazi dorado

Yes had a few from the north east coast mainly Whitley Bay Area back in the 90s one of 11.5lb from crawleys and another of 25.1/4lb from Whitley prom but the biggest going back to the mid 80s when I used to make my winter jaunts over to the famous balcary flat rock before it used to get overcrowded a great fish of 31 1/4 lb a fish of a lifetime. :tease:

12. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Never had an official double my best 9lb 12oz
    but i did witness a VERY BIG COD of 39lb caught at Rasscaroll in scotland
    wish i was into photography then,
    think it was in the early 90,s i bumped into the fella again a couple of years back up the mull and he remembered me watching

i was on my way to ballcary at the time and caught a dab on a a size 8/0 :surprise: with 6 big blacks on the hook

13. nicky

nicky Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I had never caught a doble figured Cod from the shore untill 2010 when i went over to Skarnsundet fish camp with Phil Dale.From the first night till the last i manged 6 doubles in the 5 days i was there 14lb 14oz,16lb 11oz,16lb 12oz,28lb 4oz,45lb and 48lb 7oz .I then managed another one the year after 25lb 4oz.So thats 7 doubles in Norway but none on my home home turf till last November when i got one out in a local open at 10lb 4oz then again in another open this October at 13lb 7oz i did hear people say once you get your first they keep coming and i have found this to be true :cheesy:
    Heres a few pictures of the pigs :wink:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello Peter,
    I remember your fish from Whitley Prom......an absolute cracker for our coastline. I can also remember bumping into you at Balcary a few times, you and your mate used to take a stove and a kettle and put a brew on....all very civilised.....I'm sure that was you I'm thinking about.

Regards Ian.

15. bigcod31

bigcod31 Peter Mcfarlane kaskazi dorado

Sure was Ian, I just remember that bloody hill with the 31lb fish strapped to my rucksack :happy:

16. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

you have lived the dream :yes: :yes: :yes:

17. Baramundi Bob

Superb Matey, well done and thanks for sharing.

18. cod.ling1973

cod.ling1973 I will cast more than 100 yards one day :-)

Ive just got a PB 17lb 3 1/2oz cod from port mulgrave report and pics to follow after ive finished looking at it :surprise:

Tight lines
    John "buzzin" dixon

19. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello Nicky, some tremendous fish and photos there. Those real big fish from Norway are something very special........memories that will stay with you forever.

Regards Ian

20. Joe

Joe Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i have just had my first double yesterday from arbroath 10.15oz at bodding bait was cart and squid