1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shore Fishing - How Many Site Members Have Ever Caught A Double Figure Cod.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Have you ever caught a double figure cod ? If so how big ?, how many ? Where From ?, what Year ?. Have you ever hooked and lost a monster ?

I remember every bit of information about the 2 I have caught, as if it were last night. There must be some amazing stories out there. Do you have the pictures to verify your catch ? If so lets see them ?

2. pippen

pippen Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Ye a 10lb cod from hpool marina bout 8-9 years ago on rag n clam the next night my dad got a 15lb in the same spot good times in there :wink:

3. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

just the one for me .
    robin hoods bay over low on squid and mussel.
    just seen a lad up the scar from where me and a mate were fishing wind a ten lber in and as he lifted the snood with the fish on he went arse over t-- onto the deck ,after checking he was ok i went back to my pal and said what a cracking fish and i would go arse over t-- for one like that my line went slack ,i reeled in and it went slack again so i wound like mad and connected with the fish,it was like a twin of the one the lad just had .
    had plenty of fish close to doubles from marine drive but for me the acropods have ruined it so dont rate it now unless your related to a mountain goat.

frank.

4. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I had a 20lb cod caught on a baited muppet on tut uttly,s boat north star,
    1980 , at that time it wasn,t anything new getting a 20lber

most boats got very many in a summer season :yes:

5. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

thought it was from the shore harry ,me jumping the gun again,had plenty of bigger fish from the boat but the ten from the shore means the most to me ,they just feel different on a beachcaster and its more about trackin em down when your walking after them. [only my opinion].

frank.

6. Steve

Steve Rockling

10lb 4oz from bempton. early october about 10years ago. took two of us 20 mins to get it up the cliff. didnt even have a pole with us. it came up through the rings of my nemesis diablo. as soon as it bit i knew it was a good fish as it set off to filey.
    there was us on plateau and two others on big railings. they heard the cheer as it landed on the cliff.

about a month later i lost a fish 20ft from the top which we estimate to be half as big again. had two lads hand balling it up on the pole this time. my pole has a bend in it now.

7. bow1

bow1 Rockling

just the one last october 10.5 lb runswick.had a few mops and got the tiniest of bites,thought whitey or rockling.Hit it and it took of up the beach.took bout 15 min to get it to edge,had to follow it south.Sage jumped in and threw it to sand.shaking like shititin dog for hours

8. robq

robq Rockling

I waited more than 20 years to catch a cod bigger than 8lb !!

Then in 2006 I had my 1st from east newton at 12lb 8 oz,
    [​IMG]

then another a year or so later at 11lb from rectory :yes:
    [​IMG]

then my best ever last year at 14lb 8oz from vicky dock in the humber
    [​IMG]

and my 1st rock caught double in July this year from thornwick at 10lb on the dot :happy:[​IMG]

9. LERCH

LERCH Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just the one for me in January this year off Saltburn pier 10lb 2oz.We where getting weed and my rod just pulled down like weed does so reeled in and it wasn't till got it to the pier i seen it on the surface no fight one bit. Just hope i get some more now

10. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Port Mulgrave 1974 , 16 lb cod, several 10-12 lb also from Port.

Big seas produced some good doubles over the years, all caught

on black lug/mussel cocktails.

Skinnygrove jetty 12lb cod december 1988, in daylight, frozen lug.

Cattersea beach, 11 lb cod, near clay point , caught with gulley worms

caughed up from previous cod along with "wine gum" type sooker?.

Lost a few from the old saltburn pier on the lift, caused by bright lights that

seem to make them shake their heads a bit.

you always remember the special times over the years, but port always seems to

hold its own where doubles are concerned. Do you think that they come in certain

time cycles ie: every seven years ? seem to have heard that that time cycle is

one of the reasons that produce a bumper season?

11. glassback

glassback Blenny

i had a 10.8oz on the last day of scarborough festival from bempton thats when you could fish all of bempton in festivals.
    i had a 13.4oz from ravenscaur to win seabirds open that must of been 10 years back .
    and i had 2 doubles in the same week from burniston in filey club matches
    1 from sanantonios and the other from vaseys pier 1 monday night and 1 wednesday night i had 4 fish each night for 23ib.
    not sure how long back that was probably all within a few years of each other.
    and ive had 2 doubles from holderness beaches about 3o years ago 1 from ulrome and 1 from cowden i remember same week i had 4 eight pounders 2 nine pounders and six 5 and 6 pounders in the same week
    mick wright also had a 20 pounder the same week

12. cps

cps Rockling

sat and watched that one come up bemo , first corner, dont know how many i have had 10 maybe havent had one for a good few years though ship open the last i think dead same weight as ramrod joint 1st place had 2 in 2 sucsesive trip around christmas 1996 one from the brig on boxingday then one the next day in the white heart match from boulby, remeber that day bernards lad nick westgarth had a 16 disco won with a 10 and a 6 ian russel had a 12 and there was a few more to boot snow everywhere only me mont killer and fhopper down there lovley sea

13. carl

carl Blenny

11lb cod from dimlington 1st cast then packed up as thought arnt gunna better that tonight :embarrass: :embarrass: lol

14. jerzy

jerzy New Member

managed to land one 19lb 6oz from port mulgrave many moons ago, also had a 10 lb 3oz from the cliffs at sandsend, had plenty close to the magic figure but just not quite there.

15. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I have had 20 doubles from the shore , my best was from Kettleness and weighed 18 .5 lb , I had 5 in one week , 3 in one session that was from the rocks in
    Loch Long many years ago , Ive had 3 off the cliff tops best 13lb and no doubt air mailed a couple , the thing is I havent had a double since the 1990 s , ive seen
    a few caught around me , at times you cant work it out

16. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Last March 2012 in Havag Fritad Norway. Three of us went and fished from the shore for a full week. Couple of better fish were lost including some from me but i got this fella which was my first doubler and the only one caught all week. Still wind my mate up as he is a very good angler and did not get one--mind he had his line stripped from his reel on one sesh by what we think was a Halibut. Baits used were just bluey. I always promised my self i would release my first doubler but we had none for tea so he went in the pan.
    [​IMG]

Mick.

17. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

ps he wieghed 11lb 2 oz.

18. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I,ve had a few doubles over the years, some of them already seen on the site. The biggest, and my first as far as i know hasn,t. It weighed 21lb 4oz.

Caught at cloughton next to big rock. I,ve had a bit of stick over it though, as it came off close in but I was spawney enough to still get it.
    The pics won,t be great as i,ve just photo,d the photos. The second pic was taken at the entrance of the Red Lion at Cloughton just before weighing it. The first in the bath prior to weighing it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plug hole in the bath helps with the perspective. I remember it,s girth being exactly the same as its length. I also still remember it quite clearly really. Its the only double I,ve caught out of competition and even though I,ve had a couple over 19lb, and a number of others, this one was special to me.

[​IMG]

This is exactly where it was caught. I took his picture, of my son Paul, in the summer and caught the fish after, in December.

19. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Cracking fish i,m hoping for an English doubler this season. Lost a couple of big ones when boat fishing from Whitby on the wrecks.

Plus i,m back in Norway Feb 2013 so looking for a decent fish over there again.
    Mick.

20. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

I've had 1 off coffee pot first time I ever fished there 10.8lb 2010 ish

1 from port to win ship open same year 12.15lb and also lost one the same size 2casts after a lad found one with a hook snood in it a day after wich weighed 14lb maybe the fish i lost

i alsolost one that was easily 15lb on a flat calm night on Whitby west pier when my anti reverse went and my line snapped then I had one that took a whole whiting when I was whiting fishing on sandsend beach and it let go in the surf a good double we watched it swim away as we chased it into the surf but it had gone then

a week later I was fishing sewer hole on sandsend cliffs I had 3 7lbers then I hooked a fish that I would say was easily into 20s it went mental it made the 7lbers feel like mops I got it to the bottom of the cliff as it was well into the ebb so was gonna go down and get it but it had different ideas and made a run for it towards car park and snapped me but she was definitely a monster mental all those in 1 year

I couldn't believe it shame I never landed them all I also hooked one on west pier that was a stupidly big monster as it just ran and ran taking like I got it back a little way before it snapped me the bloke next to me said no it must of been a snag he didn't believe it was a fish until about a hour later he hooked the same fish it also went mental then snapped him shame we never saw that one that was a awesome fish then I had one last year at runswick 10.4lb