1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shore Fishing At The Shetlands ???

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Getting the feelers out very early for next summers Whitby Bass Club annual jolly. One possibility is the Shetlands. Has anyone any experience of shore fishing there ? Not boat, not kayak, but shore fishing.

Possibilities look amazing with shelter available from all directions. Lots of headlands and inlets. Must be some monsters in there.

2. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

My mate from grimsby lives in the orkney islands glenn if thsts a possibility??? He has just got into fishing himself and been trying to point him in right direction he knows sll the locals up there......bowt 22 In total ::) I could ask him if its ok yo pass his number on to you do you can get a few points of contact ect....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

3. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I haven't been Glenn its a very windy place but the good news is it has rock edges , cliffs and beaches pointing in every direction on the map so
    you should always be able to find a sheltered mark , im sure it would give superb sport for those anglers that prepared to put themselves out
    a bit , go for it

4. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Never been, but heard it is absolutely first class, with serious quality cod.
    You can you tube and see a guy catching a cod on a lure rod, close in, that would give any of our comp winners a run for their money.
    I am intending to go at some stage, that is for sure.
    I imagine it is like Norway or Iceland but much, much cheaper, so you might be able to afford to get pissed of an evening, which you ain't doing in those other two places!

5. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Bloody hell man..if you go much further north you 'll need Husky's to carry your gear... :scare:.. :laugh:

6. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Re: Shore Fishing At The Shetlands ???

I've heard the midges get bigger the further north you go......>:D

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

7. Baramundi Bob

Dont mention fuxking midges.

Its not the cod Im interested in really. I want a big coalfish.

8. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Glen
    How bad were the midges on your recent trip to skye,
    you say ;dont mention the midges; so i think you had a bad experience with them.
    done stacks of fishing round the mull and on the eastern side of bonny scotland and never had much bother but this thing about midges seems to come up regular ,looked on youtube and it looks bad and would not want to travel up and then be faced with pesky midges in my face everytime i wanted to wet a line.
    is it right that when you are right on the coast they are not as bad.

frank

9. smokey

smokey Rockling

SOOOOOOOOOO last year Glenn :wink:

10. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi there,
    I was in Skye the same week as the Whitby guys, though in the south, so can give my side of the answer.
    When they are in your face, in numbers, they could drive a sane man mad, but I only had it bad two times in my week.
    You can usually get away from them even when around, by getting a bit away from vegetation and stagnant water, so on a beach with a breeze in your face you would not even know they were around. If you are casting from a that wet spongy type ground they have up there, you will last about 5-10 minutes.
    I found evenings could be bad. And some days were worse than others.
    On the good news front, they are only irritating whilst you are in the thick of them, as they do not bring you up in 'bites' that itch, like Mosquitos do. So, as soon as you close the door on them, you would not know you had been in them.
    Upshot is they are man annoying when you are swarmed by them, but you can get away from them.
    Hope that helps.

11. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

Book it I'm in

12. Baramundi Bob

Youre misses would kill ya

13. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

what we used to do to help get past the scourge of the midges was we used to cut the leg off some nylons , don't nick the wives ! we used to pull it over our head and tuck it well in around your neck , lighting a camp fire then putting some greenery on keeps them away

14. Davie l

Davie l Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Make sure they are clean first!!

You may end up with a rather pungent smell in the air.

David

15. oneeyed

oneeyed Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Eat plenty of garlic and smoke Cuban cigars gets rid of them fast as they hate garlic that's why the Scottish people don't mind them. The Cuban cigars you look like one of the A team