1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ship spotting.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by navmanfish, Apr 10, 2018.

1. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Recent viewing of said site has seen 2/3 fishing vessels around ravenscar to filey grounds

Could be where cod etc following herrings /sandeels etc or are they scallopers ?.

Been tracking a couple of scallopers out of h/pool recently they head south past huntcliffe

Its OK for finding new ground when the potters start ,good visual data for what's out there.

2. cryo

cryo Blenny

I thought scalloping was severely limited this year with only a few permits allowed in the NEast sector? and any scalloper will ruin the shingle ground and seriously deplete any fish present. Scalloping has ruined the ground off the East Scottish coast then wrecked the West Scottish inshore ground and they are now trying to ruin the ground off the NEast coast but hopefully the East coast fisheries will put in some controls to limit the short term gain fishermen.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  3. Clement

Clement Blenny

Time to call on "Dan the Pollock" the intrepid enforcer!

4. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Lets hope that the Guardian is keeping a beady eye on them, worse than big rock hoppers are those scallopers for decimating the sea bed

5. navmanfish

Don't know for definite but the scallopers not to drag inside 6 miles ?

I think big cod posted a few years ago how a lot of good wreck marks were now

Flattened.natural collapse of older wrecks inevitable but wanton damage?

Some older wrecks are classed as war graves etc.

Need to know how its affecting party boat returns.

6. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

it will have a detremental effect they ruin the seabed and dont give a shit should be banned
    from inshore waters

7. cryo

cryo Blenny

They also don't give a shit about working inside the limit if they think they can get away with it. Although thinking about it they don't give a shit about anything but profit without getting caught. As to enforcement the environmental guys are a lot more interested in sitting in their car and then pestering me when I come back from shrimping and crabbing expeditions than enforcing the law where there may be a slight risk of getting wet or threatened. Had one last year stop me down the gare with 1/4 bucket of brown shrimp and then proceeded to spout a total lot of sh1te, it was obvious he knew very little and then drove past two guys with probably 2 cwt of winkles in two onion bags although I personally wouldn't have questioned them as to the legality of their take but then I'm not employed to enforce such things. I must also note that I've never been stopped when its raining although they have been parked up in the area. When they start charging for a sea fishing licence I will be sending a few vids of their shore enforcement team sat in their cars looking at their phones and not at the sea or people working the shore.

Ken.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  8. northseafun

northseafun Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

9. Howard

Howard Blenny

They have already Knackered the Scarborough grounds and wrecks. The fishing went right downhill when they started a few yrs ago. We rarely go that way anymore. The damage has already been done. Whitby ground harder and rougher so should not get there attention.

10. Steve

Steve Rockling

its that whats knackered it at flamborough too howard

11. marlin2

marlin2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

is that a scalpers boat in Whitby today.

12. navmanfish

Re : was that a scalloped in Whitby to day,

Scores on the doors @ 19:10 tonight.

Venture,our heritage,out of h/pool just off Runswick both scallopers as depicted on tracker,

Sardis Louise, fishing towards scbro, only boat I can backtrack from Whitby earlier in the day.

Guardian,emulate,Emmanuel showing being in port.

Maybe you saw sardia Louise earlier?