1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shimano Ultegra Query

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by craig t, Sep 20, 2011.

1. craig t

craig t Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

After reading countless previous posts on fixed spool reels and which was best i opted for an ultegra xsb wifey wouldnt let me miss a mortgage payment for a 6000t :laugh:.
    Well the reel arrived today and am very pleased with it but i have noticed i can move the main spool shaft in and out quite a lot almost as if its not engaged just wondered if any of the lads who have one can shed any light on it or have i got a duff un
    Cheers Craig

2. Jimthefloat

Jimthefloat Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

This reel has a double drag. The large silver lever is the baitrunner adjustment. And the small wheel in the middle is the drag adjustment.
    Turn the large silver lever anti-clockwise till it stops. Then keep turning the small drag adjustment wheel anticlockwise until the top drag unit comes off the reel.
    Put the unit back on the reel, turn the large silver lever clockwise till it stops. Then turn the small drag adjustment wheel clockwise to set the drag.

3. craig t

craig t Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks for that jim mines not the freespool model its the instant drag version just find it odd that the i can hold the spool and the whole thing moves a good inch an half any more ideas all fixed spools ive had before once the drags screwed down the spool dosent move.

4. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

sounds like the shaft is not engaged properly,dont think you should have any movement in the shaft up and down and definately not 1 1/2 inch.
    take it back to the shop ,see if other reels have the same movement,none of mine do and i have loads including shimanos.

frank.