1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shetland Island Boat Fishing - Aches pains & some proper good fishing, Sept 2014

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by tatch1, Sep 19, 2014.

1. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sea Fishing At The Shetland Islands

Related Reading
    Friday morning & the sunshine bus arrived full of happy chappies all ready to do battle with a double figure fish or two ;D got my gear loaded & we were off to Shetland with a stop or two on the way for grub.

Pete came up with the idea of going to Glasgow angling as we had plenty of time so in we went (be rude not to) & bought loads of gear we didn't need but being fishermen we had to have ::) for them that haven't been that is some serious sized shop its huge like walking into a supermarket.

So a few pounds lighter on cash & a few pounds heavier with tackle off we went again. We arrived in Aberdeen & still had loads of time so into the pub for a beer or two it was.

We met brothers Bruce & peter in there who were on our boat. A great couple of lads they turned out to be after a beer or two & plenty laughs off again on to the ferry for more beer & grub have a snooze up early for breakfast loads of it which was very good for ferry food.

Then off we went again for the other ferry to yell. We Arrived at our digs to unload our gear then shot off to the boat where Kenny our skipper was waiting aboard Oberon which was where we found out there were to be eleven of us onboard.

A bit naughty but we managed First drop chippie peter straight into an absolute belter of a fish which was making him struggle & pull all manner of faces with the strain but boy did it make him smile when it hit the deck 30lber first chuck ooops drop ::) :) a happier chappie you've never seen.

I never thought I would see a thirty in my life so what a sight. Rods were bent over all round the boat as everyone hit cod from 15lb to upper twenties single double treble shots & tam up front had a quadruple hit on one drop the pain on his face said it all needless to say he chopped a lure or two off next drop good job too because then the coalies arrived & boy were they serious size.

My biggest coalie had been about 7lb now all of a sudden I had a fish that turned out to be 25lb on the end intent on spooling me you just have to hold on & let them go then gain line where you can the lads had warned me about them beforehand god job too they were huge god knows how stricky went on with his double shots he was getting 26lb 27lb then 27lb 28lb 29lb.

The Scottish lads tam Colin Jim + brothers peter & Bruce & Chris from Evesham all into top twenties coalies Kenny decided to get us out of the coalies :) & we tried a different spot a few ling came up but not many then it was time for in to recuperate for Sunday.

A Quick change & off to the pub for a very good meal & lots of beer with the islanders who turned out to be a really friendly bunch of beer monsters :D ;D ;D just what the doctor ordered ::) ;D.

Sunday came & I thought I had seen the best but was pleasantly surprised after a really arm wrenching battle by a 32lb cod thudding down on to the deck ;D ;D ;D what a happie chappie I was the day continued to produce massive cod & coalies then came time for the turbot.

That was to be the only disappointment none brought aboard although both Stevie & Chris lost a fish :( so it was our second day came to an end with eleven grinning but aching blokes & a grinning skipper (who I decided to rename Kenny the torturer) heading in to fillet fish & get it on ice what an experience

The best weekend ever with the best possible company (well nearly as it seemed strange not having Andrew with us get yourself well for the next one matey)

A very big thanks to stricky for organising it all & getting us all safely there & back in one piece

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: Aches pains & some proper good fishing Shetland style September 2014

Awesome mate. Cant wait for our trip next summer :) Thanks for the quality report and pictures.

3. Misso

Misso Blenny

Wow dream fishing...just out of interest what is the price range for a weekend like yours all in ?

4. Bigbadbob

Bigbadbob Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fished off a boat called Oberon which operates from yell in July ,took us out 7 miles above the uk , very fast boat , unbelievable fishing over the weekend, around a ton and a half of cod between 5 of us biggest 28lb, we didn't fancy the ferry so flew Manchester aberdeen then sombourgh, £202 for flights return , only drawback was not bringing fish back but next time we will do ferry and bring it all . If you enjoy no stop action it's the place to be !

Attached Files:

5. STRICKY

STRICKY Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Each time we go up there the fishing surpasses itself. We have not been fortunate enough to find the big turbot on the banks .But whose bothered when you land doubles of 29 and 27 coalfish. great report Tatch well done

6. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Wow!
    That looks fish heaven.
    I am going!

7. Misso

Misso Blenny

Already looking to arrange long weekend..

But for me the question is why the fishing in the Shetlands ( our waters ) is as good as fishing in Norway with big cod and plenty of them, is it down to deep water or is it down to all the northern charter fleet that leave peter head sail over these waters to fish further out towards Norway? ???????????

8. ch1pp1e

ch1pp1e Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice report Tatch great trip good company and well the fishing excellent, I am never going down with 3 hooks again lol.
    As for price aberdeen to lerwick ferry return including cabin 5 of us and van worked out about £175 each
    Fishing including digs £100 a day
    Then of course fuel costs to aberdeen and back and ferry to Yell about £5each
    And lots of beer money lol.

9. david blake

david blake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

yes tatch a great doo the photos are great aswell. saves me putting a post on

10. SteveLee

SteveLee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Excellent read. Cracking job on the fishing

11. pavel1983

pavel1983 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Shetland Island Boat Fishing - Aches pains & some proper good fishing, Sept 2014

If somebody will be organising a trip fot thr next year, Im on. All my friends are not that mad to go there, so I would be happy to join other group.

Tap tap from HM 1S

12. The Ace

The Ace Fish On!

Wow some great fish there guys! I'm also up for it if someone needs to make up the numbers for a trip!

Tex