1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharkatag Shakedown

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Lindisfarne, Jun 15, 2009.

1. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi All i missed out last year as you lot where coming home as i was just starting my three weeks holiday we stayed at new England bay caravan park for the full three weeks the weather was great caught loads of fish deadlyfish (rich) caught his first tope when he came up for the weekend so this year Ive booked the same time as SharkAtag is on so i might need a boat fishing partner as i dont know if rich is coming up for that (he likes to keep me in suspenders) Ha Ha if we get the same weather as last year then boy should we have a ball great report and pictures the chap with the skate thats a awsome sight so until we meet in scotland take care cos we care tightlines Alain

2. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

I am seriously tempted with this one. Just a bit wary though as never fished for sharks etc...!!!

Would need some new gear....

Ian

3. captain cod eye

captain cod eye Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Looks like i'm picking this years holidays. ! Just seems like pure bliss.

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I think you will be ok, scaifey catches tope on his spinning rod

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Get yourself there Ian, theres a lot of us kayakers and we have a right scream :wink: :cheesy:

Ken

6. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

I am seriously considering it... It's only 325 miles and 6 1/2 hour drive!!

Worth it though I reckon :)

7. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi All if any one is thimking of going along to sharkAtag and hasent got the Right gear then drop me a line and i will lend you what you need i also have a pair of 50lb class rods and reels should you go skate fishing as long as the tackle borrowed is returned in the same condition as when lent if id of known some lads where going stake fishing i would of asked if i could go along i would think its 190/ 200 miles from drummore to oban and york to oban is about 300 miles not too far you might think but my wife drivers a 4x4 pulling my boat and i drive a 4x4 pulling the caravan so ill settle for drummore im not gready roll on june might have to organise a lads trip skate fishing ? who s up for that tightlines Alain

8. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

That's a very kind offer Alain.

However, I don't like borrowing incase I damage it!! Can anyone give me a rough list of equipment I'll need?

9. vrbanana

vrbanana Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Are all those who are going kayakers or do you get some shore anglers fishing as well?

10. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Ian if you are just after the tope then a one or a pair of uptiders is all you need you can spend as much as you like on rods and reels if you go beach casting then use the same reels if its boat fishing you do again use the reels you can use boat rods for tope but its not as sporting you can buy uptide rods from about £40 upto £225 you will need a 4 to 10oz one this is a good allround one to have you can go lighter 2 to 8 oz but i would stick with the 4 to 10 main line 18 to 20 lb shockleader 60lb you can buy tope traces at ardwell marine think thay where £1.50 each or you can buy the materials IE 150lb trace line 200lb swivels and 7/0 hooks dont forget to crush the barbs down i use 2 turn uni knot's to tye the biting trace to swivels and hooks tightlines Alain

11. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

HI vrbanana there is a channel that runs from new england bay right across to no 4 bell buoy you might reach it at low water with a good cast but a better idea would be a cheap (kids inflatable) row your baits out and wait this is something I'm going to do this next June there is a chap on the forum with a inflatable for sale (that would be the dogs dangly bits) to have i have mates who have caught tope out of inflatables but one off the beach would be something else paddle out with your rubby dubby drop it in the channel with your bait paddle back and wait wait wait zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz fish on bloddy hell but if the tope dont show there is all sorts to try for the mull of galloway is fantastic fishing you dont need a boat kayak or inflatable to enjoy the fishing its just another string to your bow tightlines Alain

12. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

Thanks Alain..

13. IanB

IanB Blenny

I remember reading this last year but worth a second look, Glenn - I thought this would have really appealed to you, arn't you going, it looks like fun

14. vrbanana

I have a Prowler but I can’t stop in it for more than a few yards so it’s got to go up for sale, I had a balance problem a few years ago and thought I was back to 100%, but a few unplanned swimming lessons have proved that I’m not.

A mate wants to go on the trip, I thought I’d go along and do some shore fishing for whatever there was knocking about, just thought I’d be “Billy no mates” if there weren’t any other shore anglers going

15. Baramundi Bob

Thats a shame about your balance mate. Can nothing be done to rectify the problem ?? Seems a shame to miss out on what is a fantastic way to fish.

16. Baramundi Bob

I think I might be able to afford one fishing hol on my own which would probably be a bit of shore fishing at the Mull of galloway. I fancy getting amongst the bass and pollack like Garry, Dav and the lads.

17. carpyken

carpyken New Member

There is a place just near Garlieston were you would be able to target the tope & smoothound from the shore, we were anchored up no more than 100 yards from it last year and catching. Its just into Wigtown bay, I'm sure we will be there again this year and if you were lucky enough I'm sure one of us yakkers would tow your bait out :cheesy:

18. IanB

IanB Blenny

Hi vrbanana, last time i fished that bit of coast we were hounded (pardon the pun) by doggies and small thornies, mackerel bait is a must !

Yes Glenn some brilliant fishing to be had, we fished a match up there some years ago and the species caught in 12 hours was unreal, we had doggies, thornies, cod, poor cod, mackerel, coalies, pollock, and a bloody big conger that won the match.

19. vrbanana

Apparently not, that’s one of the reasons why I took up fishing again, I had to sell the car I was building to race because I started to spew after 5/6 laps :vomit: :vomit:

I was going to see about some sort of stabilizers but from what I read they aren’t suitable + I’d look like a 40 year old bloke riding a trike :embarrass: :laugh:

Is it worth asking a few more shore anglers and make it an all round event????

20. vrbanana

I’ll tag along then, get my mate to take my bait in the yak and drop it where I want it :laugh: