1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharkatag Shakedown

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Lindisfarne, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

What can I say, I think everyone was totally blown away by the response and support this event received. The turnout was absolutely fantastic and those who made the long journey were rewarded with a taste of some fantastic Scottish weather. The fishing was patchy at times but after the dust has settled it seems there’s no shortage of success stories to be told.

It all kicked off for most of us on Thursday afternoon in the camping field on the Sand’s of Luce caravan park. The site was filling up rapidly, some of the lads had made an early start and were already out on the water. By early evening the bulk had arrived and the tagging kits and welcome packs were distributed out to those taking part.

The orginanisers of the event were fortunate enough to have the support of the Coast Guard and the Port Patrick RNLI, so a visit from the local sea safety officer was welcomed by all. Some safety advice was given out and a bit of valuable knowledge was exchanged .

[​IMG]

Soon after this the statutory lager drinking stance was assumed and frivolities commenced, this went on a little longer than planned. So much so that as Friday morning dawned it became clear that the empty bottle and can pile seemed larger than some of our tents, infact much bigger than Alans rabbit hutch.... :laugh:

Sore heads aside Friday morning was an early start. We had been asked to attend the launch of Sharkatag at Drummore. There was extensive media coverage, BBC Breakfast news and the like were already set up and conducting interviews when we arrived at 7AM. Our very own Simon Everett took the stage, live in front of 2 million viewers. Who the hell phoned him up in the middle of his interview?

I would watch your backs he’s gunning for you… :laugh: :laugh:…….. Priceless…….

Joking aside, Simon made a cracking job and got the message over to millions. The responses that followed were all very positive. After all the whole concept of this event was to raise public awareness to the years of over expoitation of our native Scottish shark species.

A procession of kayaks, boats,tractors and helpers then made their way down the sand to the launch point, all under the watchfull eye of the BBC TV camera’s . I did note a few people with their hoods up with their backs to the camera, strange at first I thought but if your holiday request form is denied then needs must, you can‘t be seen on national television when your supposed to be in bed with the flu can you?….. :blindfold:

[​IMG]

The proceedings got underway, the camera crew left on one of Ian’s boats “On yer Marks” and the kayakers broke up into smaller groups to spread out around the Mull in the search of the elusive Tope.

The majority of us chose to launch from Ardwell bay on day one. This a nice easy launch spot and if the Tope are in the bay it can provide hectic sport.

One hour in and Curly had set the hook home for his first run of the day. A tope around the 15lb mark was soon boated, tagged and swiftly released. This was followed by a TBR just short of 10lb, then a spotted Ray…. It was rapidly turning into the Curlyatag event. Meanwhile the rest of us were finding sport very slow. A few of the boats were having better luck but it was becoming clear that there was a distinct lack of fish in the upper reaches of the bay. The fish that did show seemed very reluctant to take a hold, instead they were playing with the baits and often dropping them at the side of the boat. A lot of lads were reporting dropped baits and screaming runs that just didn’t develop.

Mid afternoon and time for a re-think. We made our way back to the launch site, the wind was freshening from the SE and it was time to stretch our legs. Port Logan was mentioned as an option for us to try. With the promise of a bit of shelter from the land we were soon making a move ready for our second hit of the day. We had planned to fish there for an hour or so……….not to be though, it was 9.30 before we came off the water. Everyone had a very enjoyable evening, no sharks to tag here but an unbelievable array of species.

In the few hours we fished we encountered Grey Gurnard, Haddock, Codling, Whiting, Coalfish, Pollock, Dab, Red Gurnard, Herring, Dog fish, Mackerel, Ling and a dropped Plaice….Ken !!!!!!

Spud thought this was an electric eel.... more like an electric cable... :laugh: :laugh: I saw the lights flicker in Ireland....

[​IMG]

Port Logan Herring for Ray, well done on that one........

[​IMG]

Back to the site and back on the lash, well for some anyway …lol…. I phoned Ian at Drummore for the days catches and it soon become evident that the majority of the fish on Friday had been taken from Wigton Bay. Armed with that information most of the lads had made the decision to head in that direction on the Saturday morning. A few were going to try down at Drummore and some others were heading towards Whithorn, again we had all spread out to locate the fish.

It was a lovely morning and the first few Smoothies turned up, no biggies here but nice of them to put in appearance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The flood soon kicked in and the clearer water brought a few Tope up into the shallows. Loz was first to connect and successfully tagged and released a respectable fish of 32lb. He followed it soon after with another nearer 22lb. Ken and Cameron also made the grade with a couple of smaller fish leaving the rest of reporting a few dropped runs and missed opertunities.

Mission accomplished

[​IMG]

The weather had deteriorated slightly by now and a fresh Southerly breeze had steadily picked up. The surface was cutting up a little making it a bit uncomfortable at anchor. We decided to seek a bit of shelter on the South side of the bay as the iminent threat of a tide over wind stuation would have made things even worse. It was a hard paddle over the bay against wind and tide, made even worse by the fact that the wind had eased by the time the tide started to ebb…typical…… :whistle: :whistle:

[​IMG]

The mark at the other side seemed equally productive for some of us anyway... Loz proceeded to add another two to his score sheet giving him a tally of four for the day…. Luck ?…… Skill?….. Possibly the latter I would say….. :educated:

He's in again...........

[​IMG]

A good end to another fine day as we made our way back to the site for a BBQ and a few more tinnies….. The other groups had also had a good time, John, Helen, Paul and James were to busy making their television debut to catch Tope but that’s another story for them to tell….lol….

Why does Stuart want a kayak when he has this.... :surprise:

[​IMG]

The group of us that made for Wigton Bay had made a good decision as the Luce Bay report for the Saturday was not great. The fish seemed to have moved off a bit and were very difficult to locate, strange beasts really. I spoke to one lad that had 30 Tope the weekend before within a mile of our camp site.

Sunday morning, again a few of us were nursing hangovers, the pile of empties out side Kens van was bigger than ever…. :laugh:…. This was to be a quieter day and some, including myself ,done a bit of tidying up and made tracks for home. Others of course had more important matters, as there were unsettled scores to address back in Wigton Bay. I’m sure Ken or Simon will fill in the gaps for me on this one but I have heard stories of a double figure Smooth Hound lost at the side and another Tope for Ken.

[​IMG]

Loz, Hatter, Dave, Spud and Stargaizer had tags to use up so they went up to the Sound of Jura and managed to pin them in a few Common Skate… jammy buggers…. :yes: :yes:

Well that was sharkatag 2009, roll on 2010. 180 anglers, 24 of which were kayakers and 200 fish tagged, can't be bad for a weekends work.... The event is embryonic and with all your continued support it will continue to grow over the next few years.

SACN and the organising committee would like to thank all those who took part and indeed any registered members of SACN will soon be receiving their official thank you e-mail and certificate.

Neil.

2. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

crackin read that neil :yes: well done lads :cheesy:

3. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Great report and pics mate :yes: looks like you had a quality time :happy:

4. carpyken

carpyken New Member

A brilliant report Neil......and what a fantastic weekend, so well organised, got to thank you and the rest of the SSACN lads for that.

Will put a few pics up and add more about Sunday as soon as the camera dries out and decides to boot up - other than that I will have to get a card reader sorted.

Was great keeping in touch with Chris, Mart & Co on Teaser - know they had a really good weekend with some fantastic fish brought to the deck, well done you lot, carnt wait to see the pics.

Will add more later, didn't get in until 5.30 this morning and up for work at 8am, shattered so off to bed...

Ken

5. cps

cps Rockling

A cracking week end, got back home at 7 tonight , thought we better sample some of the isle of whithorn's pollock fishing thismorning befor we left
    taged 30 including spur dog to 20lb huss to 12lb and a good few tope not masive fish we managed a couple nearing the 40lb mark on sunday on a of shore bank that stuart told us about [thanks for that stuart ] along with 12 spurdog and a dozon huss most of them doubles :happy:
    managed a few on saturday, and were just in the middle of a hot spell just as reel deal turned up with the camra crew and simonon her,all 3 of us had one each one after another for the camra, makes a change from them swiming the other way as soon as the lense caps come of
    pictures to folow if we can ever get them of micks new camra :confused:

6. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

thats a great read neil. well done to you all. :yes: :yes:

7. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

well done lads, looks like a great time

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

Sounds like it was a great weekend , well done everyone...

9. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Good report and some good photo,s ,i saw simons interview while i was having my morning cupa before going to work ,he did an excelent job getting the point accross,well done to all who took part :yes:

10. cps

cps Rockling

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    had these in my phone most are in micks camera
    also had a bass thimorning before we left took the species count to 15 i think
    cod bass mackis thorback tope spurdog bullhuss dogfish gray gurnard tub gurnard dab smoothound pollock coalfish and a poorcod think we only missed conger and wrasse of the list for the entire species in our waters, what a fab place

11. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

nice fish there cps. :yes:

looking forward to seeing everyone else pictures.

12. mww

mww Rockling

...you forgot whiting (microscopic) & sandeel...

Brilliant weekend....think my facial skin will be coming off in ribbons tomorrow!!

Special thanks to the organisers - great job!!

Mart

13. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Fantastic report as always Niel with great pics to boot. Also looks like CPS, Mart and co had a quality weekend too. Well done to you all.

14. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

It was a cracking weekend, one for the diary next year. Everything about sharkatag was just perfect for good meet. A big thanks to all who organised it.

15. newdave

newdave Guest

great report & photos as always, i love the one of the shark wrestler. hope you got my apologies for absence, maybe next year :yes:

16. GJW

GJW Rockling

Cracking report and looks like you all managed a bit of action, well done to you all, really glad you all had a great time... :cool: :cool:

17. ssacn

ssacn Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

All,

Just to say thanks really - we really do appreciate the commitment of those attending and supporting Sharkatag and though any excuse is a good excuse if you get to go fishing, the kind of unselfishness shown by all during Sharkatag, shows real commitment to your sport and to the conservation of endangered species.

We'd appreciate any photos, along with permission to use them, especially if they show the spirit of Sharkatag; if you could email them to contact@ssacn.org that would be great.

Once again, thanks to all those who took part and/or have supported the Sharkatag.

18. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Managed to retrieve my pictures so here you go

Curly, Newyacker and myself out on the water thursday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our safety briefing with the RNLI

[​IMG]

Launching with our Lozz friday morning and his rather 'trick' kevlar Dorado

[​IMG]

Out on the water and as soon as i get to Curly I find him with a rather nice thorny

[​IMG]

One of the highlights for me was launching from Ardwell Bay that evening, fishing with baited jiggers, we had whiting, pollock, small coddling, gurnard and yes I bounced a rather large plaice off for it only to land on my foot and then curtail it back down into the depths...oh and of course the haddock..

[​IMG]

Our Spud chilling

[​IMG]

Neil returning back up to his drift point

[​IMG]

We all had a few small coddling

[​IMG]

Saturday saw us making the long drive around to Wigtown bay were we had a few tope, albiet mine being a fun size one...

[​IMG]

Lozz with a better fish

[​IMG]

The saturday night de-brief :whistle: and bbq

[​IMG]

Sunday again sw us back in Wigtown bay, quite a slow day really but the weather was lovely

Simon latched into a huge smoothy, had it by the side of the yak but lost it in the struggle

[​IMG]

waiting and waiting and waiting

[​IMG]

Time for a break....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back on the water and finally i was rewarded with a big nodding bite and a good run, eventually landing this fellow, again not a huge fish but very welcome...

[​IMG]

As the sun was nearly setting it was time for home but not before spending half an hour on the feathers to collect bait for the freezer at home.

Ken

19. thebigman

thebigman New Member

Great stuff there Neil and Ken, sets the atmosphere well.

20. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

dam fine pictures ken. nice report with them as well. looks like you had a good time while you were there and not just the fishing. few bad heads??