1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharkatag 2009 - kayak Fishing

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Jan 7, 2009.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Is it the Queen's in the isle of whithorn or the one in Drummore, i know a few have stopped at the one in drummore and have had some spooky experience's it aparatly haunted... :scare: :scare:

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

3. mww

mww Rockling

>>now all we have to decide is weather its me mick or mart that has to kip in the cot

I'm more worried what Mummy & Daddy might get up to while I'm in the cot!! :scare: :surprise:

Mart

4. cps

cps Rockling

just dawned on me how much cr@@p we take with us for one days fishing when we know where we are going, :surprise: god know how were going to get all marts gear in the boat for 4 days on un fished by us waters :confused:

5. mww

mww Rockling

...not much space at all, as I've just chopped all my rods to bits after todays Brid 2nd day comp!! :angry: a handline will do....

Mart

6. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Another email from SSACN

<!--[if !vml]-->SSACN Sharkatag 2009

Solway, South West Scotland, 12-14 June 2009

All,

You'll have seen it on the web for a while now, but it's time to formally announce Sharkatag 2009 and give everyone the opportunity to sign up.

The event will run from the 12th to the 14th of June – we are looking to tag as many fish as possible from shore, kayak or boat in order to highlight the urgent need for shark, ray and skate conservation in Scottish waters, increase the public awareness of sea angling and raise some funds for SSACN.

Joining in is easy, a simple form to fill in and only £10 per person to pay to help cover the costs of tags, tagging kits and suchlike - More details and Registration here. We are hoping to attract over 200 volunteer sea anglers over the three day period.

Each angler taking part will receive a Participants Pack with details about the weekend; SSACN tope and small shark handling best practice guides; a list of suggested launch sites and fishing spots; full tagging instructions, fish return forms and the first 100 to sign up will receive a Sharkatag tackle box sticker and also a pack of 6/0 tope/ray hooks each which have been kindly donated by Mustad.

Just recently Fisheries Minister Lochhead said “Our scientists tell us that some shark populations are critically endangered, and we need to respond to that advice.” This is not news to Scottish sea anglers, the severe decline in the stocks of several species of shark has been apparent for the last two decades.

In the past the voices of anglers have been ignored by governments who rejected the claims as being only based on anecdotal evidence and that they require research based evidence, yet they have never put programmes in place to gather the necessary data for sharks. SSACN's tagging programmes will help fill that gap by gathering valuable data regarding the growth rate, migration, non-natural predation, population and stock fluctuations of various species.

You can help us - Sign up for the event / donate space on your boat / help coordinate it / donate tackle - anything at all - we have already had tremendous interest from the media - TV, radio as well as the general and angling press - you can make Sharkatag a success.

Thanks and regards

7. mww

mww Rockling

...now sorted.....after realising I'd booked the wrong weekend :crazy: managed to rectify that fairly painlessly :whistle:, now booked in for the event as well, so we're definitely going.... :happy:

Must break the news to Mrs W at some stage.... :scare:

Mart

8. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

when we have been to the mull we use that tackle shop at ardwell,he is an ok bloke doesn't feed you a load of twaddle,he has a picture of runswick bay in his shop and i asked him how come he has that picture ,apparently he use to live down this way :yes: and he still has his norhen accent,

9. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Noticed the /sharkatag page has been updated. Dont forget you can register online and pay your tenner via paypal. There are also t-shirts and caps available to order :happy:

http://www.ssacn.org/sharkatag/

Ken

10. carpyken

carpyken New Member

another update from Neil....

Sharkatag is now getting closer and a few of you have now registered. I think there's still a lot of people that are intending to go that have yet to commit to the registration. If your going get yourself registered here.........

http://www.ssacn.org/sharkatag/sharkatag-registration/

We have the campsite booked at Sandhead so there's loads of room for those wanting to pitch their tents for a couple of nights.

If you have any questions on the event just send me a PM or post them up on here. If I can't answer I'm sure Stuart or Willie will look in with an answer.

A lot of people have asked about bait availability. There should be Mackerel in the bay so the Tope bait is sorted. If anyone wants to target Smuts, and needs crab, there is a possibility that this can also be arranged. We would need to know in advance though to book a delivery to the camp site.

Neil.

11. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

If anyone wants to book bait in advance here's the details........... Davie will deliver what you need to the camp site at Sandhead, just give him a call....

[​IMG]

Neil.

12. carpyken

carpyken New Member

So looking forward to this one Neil, our CPS and Mart are bringing there boat across, I know a few of us yakkers are well up for it - any one else is still more than welcome to get there name down. What can be better than a long weekend over at the Mull fishing for tope and anything else that swims, going to rub up to our Gary for a few hints on were the big bass are :happy:

The campsite is booked and there is space so if your interested get your name down asp.

Ken

13. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Bump

30 days to go

register here.......

http://www.ssacn.org/sharkatag/sharkatag-registration/

14. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Just had a mail from Neil asking if I could remind all those that are attending Sharkatag to get registered as soon as possible. He spoke to Ian Burret this afternoon and he was telling me that the RNLI are keen for final numbers so they can organise resources for the weekend.

He also goes on to say 'Only 18 sleeps to go and there's no Mackerel in the bay yet so let's hope for some settled weather soon. There's a few Tope showing though, Ian had 25 last Monday from the Ardwell Buoy, that's only 1 mile form our camp site......'

Campings sorted, I'll bring the cadac, think there are a fair few coming up from Anglers Afloat, should be a laugh with some good screaming runs too

Ken

15. raymo

raymo New Member

Registered & payed my tenner also.....

16. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

looking forward to reading the report and seeing the pictures from this :yes: :yes:

good luck to you all ans safe yaking

17. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Be good to have you there Raymo, who else is going off here?

Ken

18. spud

spud New Member

and me :happy:

19. newdave

newdave Guest

registered and paid me tenner, now not able to go due to being 10,000 miles away :angry: good luck to all

20. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well i will go for you then dave :whistle: :cheesy: