1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharkatag 2009 - kayak Fishing

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Jan 7, 2009.

1. cps

cps Rockling

trophy's got two bunks down stairs so we will have to draw straws determin who the unlucky one is that has to b&b in the pub

2. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Neils put a map together with tags showing a few venues etc..... interesting reading :happy:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=104753389959038949619.000460271e10c648b7080&ll=54.90662,-4.993286&spn=0.457129,1.153564&z=10

Ken

3. mww

mww Rockling

Thanks Ken, interesting info there...

Mart

4. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Good to see some of you lads planning to come up to Luce Bay for the Sharkatag event. It's a long way off yet but it looks like it could be a big weekend. As Simon pointed out if the weather goes against us there are some good Pike venue's we could target. The saving grace is that the geography of the Mull usually allows you to get afloat somewhere, providing the wind's not too strong.

The event is timed to coincide with the run of Pack Tope up into the bay. Like everywhere else the venue blows hot and cold. The map page I have knocked up is a bit slap dash and I'm still working on it. If any of you lads can add anything that may help let me know. Luce bay is not exactly in my back garden either, a drive to Whitby would be quicker for me .

If all the interest we have had comes to fruition this could be a cracking event, Kayaking, fishing, camping and of course the odd pint or two, what better way to spend a weekend in June. :yes:

Neil.

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Just another quick update from Neil and SSACN..............

Sharkatag2009

Your chance to help Scottish Sharks

12-13-14 June 2009

As many anglers appreciate through personal experience, the stocks of several species of shark in Scottish waters have been seriously depleted; Sharkatag2009 is an organised tagging event aimed at gathering the evidential data necessary to get the Scottish Government to ensure fisheries management encompasses the conservation of Scottish sharks.

Sharkatag2009 is to being run to coincide with the World Oceans Day festival being held in Dumfries and Galloway in the South West of Scotland and will be centred around Drummore, Sandhead and the Isle of Whithorn.

Sharkatag is NOT a competition, but to help cover our costs we are asking for a £10 per person registration fee; you can register and sign up at www.ssacn.org/sharkatag/. If you won't be attending Sharkatag but would like to support it, you can make a donation directly through Paypal, or through the web page.

Many organisations and groups have already shown initial interest, we are hoping to see somewhere around 100 craft and 300 anglers take part over the three days, so Sharkatag2009 should also help highlight the economic benefits of sea angling to the region.

Neil.

6. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Registered & payed my tenner

7. spud

spud New Member

Registered & payed my tenner also

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Aye, looking forward to it. Will get myself registered as I can't wait to try and catch my first Tope (specially from the yak!) :cheesy:

9. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Looking forward to it Spud, will be a laugh, the forum crashed and we lost your original post and pic so feel free to post it again :wink: . Hows the family mate, looking forward to catching up this spring - this winter has been far too long already :happy:

Will be great Sam, will have to get you down Holderness too this summer :happy:

10. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Oh yes! Count me in Ken, you'll have to be our guide for the day though :wink:

11. spud

spud New Member

Not been out since last year Ken getting some work done on the house between now and the end of April. Will be back out on the yak in time for the first run of tope in May :cheesy:

Tope on the Kayak better than sex from what i remember :surprise: :surprise: :surprise:
    [​IMG]

12. carpyken

carpyken New Member

A few more details from Neil...........

I have had correspondence today from Ian Burret of SSACN.

He is asking if we can share tagging kits in groups, rather than each of us being issued a kit. The kits come in at around £40.00 each so it would make sense for us to buddy up and share the resources.

Groups of four or five kayaks should be able to share a single kit and help each other out with tagging and measuring etc.

He is also wondering what sort of numbers are likely to be in attendance as well. It's still a bit early to confirm exact numbers but at the moment I think we have between 15 and 25 interested kayakers.

I'm going to get a price for the campsite at Sandhead next week and see if I can get a wee bit of group discount.

Neil.

Dont forget, you can register for this event now, costs a tenner......

www.ssacn.org/sharkatag/

Ken

13. newdave

newdave Guest

I am a defo for this if back, i am in kens group just send me the bill :yes:

14. ssacn

ssacn Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Neil - can I put a link to this from the sharkatag pages please - it would be a great help.

Regards

steveb

15. mww

mww Rockling

Booked the hotel for the Thursday to Sunday nights - Queens Arms Hotel - got a family room for the 3 of us...just need to decide who gets the cot!! :laugh: Hope cps & the Captain don't snore...like I don't!!

Only need to register now...tomorrow's job!!

Hopefully see some of you up there.

Mart

16. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Fantastic Mart, be great to see you guys over there :happy: . Should be a really good bash, like yourselves I'm going to turn it into a long weekend :cheesy:

Ken

17. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Another message from Neil,

The site is now booked, it's nice and simple, if your going, turn up and pay your money on arrival. It's going to be £15.00 per night, that gives you use of all the park facilities. So no need for deposits or confirming exact numbers. There's plenty room for everyone.

http://www.sandsofluceholidaypark.co.uk/

Neil.

18. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Go for it Steve.........

Neil.

19. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Just out of interest, I have a tagging kit already (because I was/am part of the UK Shark Tagging Scheme) and have a good supply of tags, plastic ones for the tope.

As a point of interest for the kayak teams....filling in the tagging forms on the water is a nightmare. Instead, when we were tagging off W. Wales, Richi had a brilliant idea...when we got home he gave me a divers slate at the next time we met. This is brilliant as the "pencil" will write underwater and so you don't smudge/lose your information. All you need to do is record the tag number (the last 4 digits will do as they run concurrently in a batch) and then the capture details: sex, length, girth, (weight? Weigh slings on a kayak OK for small fish, awkward with big fish that you can't lift easily.) condition and any parasites present. - The info from the tag card basically, all you need are the figures. Then you can fill the cards in later in the pub (where you are again likely to smudge/get them wet as you spill your beer!)

Just a practical thing that has surfaced...get yourself a divers slate to take with you to record your fish and the tag number matching to each one, rather than taking the cards out on the water.

20. cps

cps Rockling

us big boat angler need a bit more cumfort so mart booked a familiy room at a pub in ilse of whithorn Queen's arms i think , now all we have to decide is weather its me mick or mart that has to kip in the cot