1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharkatag 2009 - kayak Fishing

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Jan 7, 2009.

1. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Sharkatag 2009

Just had a Pm from Neil regarding this event, could be a whole heap of fun :cheesy:

Sharkatag2009 is a shark tagging event following on from the successful spurdog ‘tagathon’ SSACN held around Loch Sunart in Autumn 2008; however, for Sharkatag2009 the main target will be tope and the location around the Mull of Galloway.

The event runs from the 12th to the 14th of June 2009 – it is not a competition - its main aims are to tag as many fish as possible from the shore and boat; to highlight the urgent need for shark, ray and skate conservation in Scottish waters, and to raise the public awareness of sea angling.

[​IMG]

He assures us you won't be camping under your yak in the tide line and there is proper camping facilities at Sandhead Caravan park :cheesy:

details here:

http://www.ssacn.org/sharkatag/

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Sounds like a potential venue change for the long weekend........I ll see what rob thinks after his honeymoon !

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Sound good doesn't it :wink:

4. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

would love to join ya on that one ken :)

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

You more than welcome Phil, know Spawney and Matty are well up for it too :happy: Bring your lures to mate, Dorado is gonna be there, I'm sure we can put them all too good use, some nice bass to be had in the Mull apparently :wink:

6. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

i think i may need a boat for the lures ken lol

7. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Got a Pm from Steve, a member of SSACN, I'm sure he wont mind me post his comments...

Thanks for showing interest.

Our Spurdog tagathon up in Loch Sunart at the back end of last year went pretty well given the location and time of year with a really good turnout and some reasonable catches. It was covered in our Autumn 08 Lifelines newsletter which you can download from the 'tabbed area' on our front page.

As Dumfries and Galloway is much further south and it'll be midsummer we are expecting a terrific turnout - it would be really great if some of you guys from Yorkshire could make it.

We're just going through the phase of finalising and checking all the details etc and then we'll be publishing all the details - meanwhile, if you'd like to drop us a quick line at contact@ssacn.org I'll make sure you go on the 'interested' list.

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Count me in for sure, sounds like it'll be a great time :yes: bring it on!

9. Dorado

Dorado New Member

There is also some good pike fishing close by if the weather turns sour....sorry, it's Scotland,so that should be dour I suppose.

10. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Well I guess it would be rude not to do a bit of Pikin whilst I'm there :wink:

11. spud

spud New Member

Stick me down for it please Ken :cheesy:

12. cps

cps Rockling

mww asked if i would be up for it, long way to drag the trophy, but it could be a good chance to ram all you yakers at once and sink the lot of you :laugh: :laugh:

seriously though we may well if there is a half decent beach or slip to launch from

13. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

ooh sounds like fightin talk to me lol

14. newdave

newdave Guest

no problem at all chris, plenty of good launch sites, I will dig out the info for you.

Dave

15. carpyken

carpyken New Member

The main event is set around boats, its only this year they are considering the yak, should be a scream Chris, now if you could just go between us all delivering bait, sandwiches and cups of tea :canadian:

16. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

You seem to be hanging out with the Yakkers a fair bit Chris. Do I sense that you and mart will soon be joining the flotilla with a nice new yak each ??

17. newdave

newdave Guest

18. mww

mww Rockling

We're thinking yakking's something that we can probably do when we're a bit old for proper boat fishing....!!!!

...now THAT'S fighting talk!!!

seriously, really quite interested in making the trip with cps & the Captain...I've emailed Steve, & will ring Stewart this week if I get chance...will let you know what they say.

Mart

19. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Just got a little bit more info, reproduced with the kind permission of Neil. The camping is booked for those that want it ( i've provisionally told Neil 6 but if theres more/less it won't be a problem) - Chris, Mart you welcome to camp with us, I'm sure there will be room on the field for the Trophy.

Neil wrote:

It's got the makings of a good weekend. The good old summer weather will play it's part no doubt, but there's usually somewhere settled enough to get afloat.

I have spoken to the owners of Sandhead touring park and they have said it will be fine for us to take over the camping site for the weekend. They have all the facilities we need and a bar for those of you that drink.

The beach adjoins the site so for an upper Luce Bay launch you won't even need the car. There's Tope, Thornback , the odd Smut and the usual small stuff available from there. The smaller pack Tope run up into the shallows of the bay, 10 to 20 feet at that time of year. They make fantastic sport on float fished gear in the shallow water.

A short 20 min drive down the Mull will take you to any of the other marks including Port Logan and Ardwell back bay on the Irish Sea side.

If anyone else is pitching at Sandhead could you let me know and I'll book us in as a group. I said I would give him a better idea of numbers by the end of February.

Looking forward to it already ...

Neil.

Sounds great doesn't it :happy:

Ken

20. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

that sounds excellent, I can't wait