1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shads For Boat Fishing In 2013

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Sea Fishing with Shads - Information And Advice

Going back several years now we were led to believe that the only shad that would catch you fish at Whitby was the 4" Storm Swim Shads, in Blue.

[​IMG]

Then for some bizarre reason, Storm stopped making them in Blue. Would you believe it, people started using other colours and they all worked. Pink was the new blue, Firetiger won the summer festival for John Wilcock, Infact all colours worked - who would have imagined that.

Then came the Berkley Hollow Belly. These things were awesome and seemed to be picking out the bigger fish, but they were pricey and soon went out of favour.

Over the next few years we tried and had good results with all types of shads in all manner of colour and sizes. Sidewinder, Daiwa, Tsunami, and many more.

This has got me thinking about what is the shad to use in 2013 ? what are the favoured makes and colours now ?

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/fishing-with-shads

2. dezzy

dezzy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Shads For Boat Fishing In 2012

Rhubarb n custard was best colour for me last year also the Fluoro orange worked well also

3. Baramundi Bob

Sidewinders ??

4. dezzy

dezzy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yeah can't remember what make tho ill hav a look in my box tomorrow

5. rupert

rupert Blenny

Although it's hard to believe, I find the smaller shads the most effective - the 3" storm are deadly for cod and pollack. :yes:

Don't fret about big fish ignoring small lures, they won't. The hooks on 3" storm shads are pretty strong too for the size of the lure.

Whether it's got something to do with the drop speed, when fishing them, or whether they 'match the hatch' better I don't know, but these and other small soft lures really do work and frequently outfish bigger soft lures.

3" Storm are not that easy to buy in the UK, but they are available online from a few suppliers including AGM linked off this site. I've done well on sardine, yellow and black stripe and 'bones' shads. I daresay other colours might work just as well.

Try 'em in 2013!

http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/

6. Baramundi Bob

Ive got hundreds of packs of 3inch storms, behind the washer.

7. Baramundi Bob

Ive done very well on this one Rupert :

http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/matzuo-tournament-curly-shad-pink-prism-5pcs-p-663.html

8. bucko

bucko New Member

Going with the small rubber theme- the smallest Redgill Evolutions in bubblegum pink did well for me in 2012, especially when the pollock were plucking at larger shads and jellyworms.
    But, if the truth be known- I did best on twin tails in 2012. On a hopper rig and 1oz jighead for the cod or just on a plain jig hook for the pollock. The orange 'tiger' ones were the top scorer but yellow had its days too.

9. rupert

rupert Blenny

Why are they stuck there?

Have you not given that size a swim?

10. Baramundi Bob

I havent Rupert. Like you mentioned, I was scarred of the hook size. But Ill drag them out.

11. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Some days those 3" are deadly glen and seem to work better than the 4" but the hooks does pose a problem with bigger fish now if you are talking hooks on a shad setup the 5% berkley jigheads are an unbeleivable hook and will hold any thing i still love them with the hollowbellys a deadly lure.

paul.

12. Baramundi Bob

So can you still buy hollow bellies?

13. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

yes glenn we are currently importing them from germany.

i was off yesterday with trevor freeman and all of our fish were caught on the 5" hollow belly.

tried storm shads, sidewinders but they didnt want to know yesterday

http://www.whitbyanglingsupplies.com/Berkley-Hollow-Belly-Swim-Shad

14. jody

jody New Member

I did well last season with 3 bubble gum pink worms bound to a jig head

15. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Tsunami did really good for me a mackerel pattern, but just starting this year I used many different shads. I used 3" side winders in a white/clear pattern and I managed my first pollock and a few after that.
    The side winder turbo tails did ok some days too colours that worked best seemed to change each trip.
    I have been getting stocked up through winter on different sizes and colours to try.
    One thing I am going to try is a bulldawg lure, a cheaper make but they are an awsome pike lure and have out fished every pike lure I have used. See if they are better than shads.
    Mike

16. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Has anyone used Savage Gear 3-d herring shads?

If so, are they more effective than ordinary shads ?

17. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

I agree I love the 3" storms, Ive had fish upto 18lb on them onboard. but there are days they outfish everything. my favourite all round lure last year was the 4" sidewinder sandeel in rhubarb and custard. the tsunami white/ red head fished well too on the hire gear, again 4" sandeel pattern. there were some nice bass lures in whitby angling that fished brilliantly too but the hooks werent that great on them. blue and also pink worked well.

18. jethro

jethro New Member

Hollowbellies Pearl 5" or the Sidewinder Super shads solid rhubarb and custard did well for me but had a good day on the old favourite Storm blue 4" as well.

19. carpyken

carpyken New Member

How are you guys actually working these shads? I only ask because I do well with just long quick jigging with most fish coming on the drop down, I know Paul recommends simply just winding up several times before dropping back down.

Must admit I used to use the 4 inch Storm Shads but last year I used sidewinders a lot more.

Ken

20. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

I use Hollowbellies a lot, but whatever I use I tend to just jig, bouncing my lead of the bottom. Sometimes when I bring the lead up it can be deformed with a flat bottom after bouncing off the hard ground so much.

Tackle loses can be higher though.