1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting lobster pots from a boat

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Newfish, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Newfish

Newfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Anyone give me any advice ? Got a 16ft boat in scarborough harbour and a few pots. Set one out on the weekend and the buggers snagged !

Cant retrieve it / don't quite know how, do I need to use an Alderney ring & a bouy to pull it up ?

Anyone give me any advice how to set single pots up ? Do I need an anchor / what weighs the pots down etc. ~

Thanks in advance !!!

Rich

2. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

pots weighted down by the steel fixed to them then you need a buoy and a length of rope
    and need to remember where you put then go back every couple of days max and rebait
    why singles why not a string

3. Newfish

Cheers JC,

I didnt want to get them all stuck just incase .

Someone told me to secure them with a small anchor but now I have got one of my pots stuck with the anchor attached !!

So a string of pots with rebar attached to the pots should do it with no anchor ?

Dont suppose you have any idea on how to retrieve the snagged pot & anchor by any chance ?

Cheers

Rich

4. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Our pots have window weights in you can use a anchor /weight to secure bottom.

As you seem to be pleasure potting have a string of pots with a chamber pot either end as these

Keep the rest weighted.

Single pots have a use inside or from the beach in holes holding lobsters.

Be careful trying to use boat to lift stuck pot you could endanger yourself.

Ask a potter with hauler to retrieve it for you.

Replacing tag will cost you a fiver.

5. Newfish

That's my worry,

Left it with a buoy in south bay in scarborough. Was getting a little dangerous trying to free it thought i'd leave it a day or two then come back to it see if its free'd up.

What weight do you use ? and abit of a newbie question but what is a chamber pot ? Is that like a parlour pot ?

I'd feel cheeky asking a potter to free it like don't know any of em in the harbour. Always a start though aye ?

6. Newfish

was also thinking of setting a buoy lower down on the rope on a lower tide to see if the rising tide would free it too and do a bit of fishing in the mean time !

7. Newfish

I think its got stuck in a hole tbh, expensive mistake with the anchor aswell like ! Lesson learned !

• Like Like x 1
  8. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

good luck on the retreive bud but could put it down to experience
    ive weighted pots with rail splice plates if you can get any try local scrappy

9. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Chamber,parlour,Yankee pot all similar.

Window weights vary in weight.

Longer ones break in half by using bolster chisel or mash hammer,these are cast.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rafa akbar

rafa akbar New Member

Thank you for sharing your information, and it will be very useful for all