1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seine netting sandeels. Any net makers around?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by rusty1, Mar 3, 2008.

1. rusty1

rusty1 New Member

Alright chaps.

Im looking to invest in a seine net for the spring/summer to get my hands on a reliable source of live eels. I was getting a good few last year in the push net but it was always hit and miss (with a lot of missing). I have a few spots which they should be relatively easy to net from with a seine net but I'm having loadsa trouble finding a decent net at a decent price.

The ones Ive found are pretty expensive 400+ or the cheap cr*p on ebay which look like theyre made from garden netting. I did have a search about for places you can buy netting from but it all seems to be bulk orders and theres nowhere you could buy it in small enough quantities to make it worthwhile just knocking up a single 20/30m net.

Just wondered if anyone knew any friendly local net builders who might knock one up? or have made one themselves and can offer any advice? or anything else you think might be relevant :happy:

Cheers
    Phil

2. bucko

bucko Guest

Can't help you with the net mate but I watched some lads in Wales last year fishing very small (size 10-12) very whispy feathers down the side of the jetty and bringing up 4 every go.
    Could work just as well up here.

3. i tried that last summer off whitby pier, was fishing for makkkies and kept foul hooking really good size launce so purchased some really small feathers but i couldnt hook any :confused:

4. steerser

steerser Blenny

i could make you a net mate, but really the £400 price tag would be about right for the type of net you are after...
    been having a look around and came across these http://www.sovereignsuperbaits.co.uk/Other_Products/Livebaiting/Livebait_Catching/Livebait_Nets/livebait_nets.html
    i would say, they are up to the job, but even if they are a bit flimsy they are a lot easier to repair, than to make..

5. rusty1

rusty1 New Member

Cheers Steerser, those ones dont look to bad. Do you recon theyd be easy to modify with a few weights and floats? The only thing that worries me is the larger one is 17mm net size, id think this may be a bit large for sandeels, could easily be wrong tho. What would you think about a combination of the two with the 8mm next in the central section as a fish bag?

Cheers again

6. steerser

steerser Blenny

shouldn't be a problem to modify it. weights, floats whatever suits.
    as for the mesh size personally i think it would be alright, once you have tension on the net,with the tide against it, those meshes will close to half that size.
    the wings of a seine are for herding fish to the center of the net, rather than
    actually catching/holding fish.
    if fish are escaping through the bag/codend then you could stitch a bit of smaller meshed netting round it.

7. phillgray

phillgray New Member

give this place a ring helped me out with some net
    http://www.netmanufacturers.co.uk/pro-tec/new/fishing_equip_main.htm

8. rusty1

rusty1 New Member

Cheers lads,

Ill have a look on payday and see what I can knock together. It isnt something thats going to get a load of use but it would be good to have to get sandeels when needed. Its not like I need anything thats going to get me thousands every go.

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

If you do get thousands phil i,ll take em off ure hands ...... :happy:

10. woody

woody New Member

if you do manage to get a few phil imagine if you could keep them live for scotland absolute dynamite :cheesy:

11. rusty1

rusty1 New Member

Exactly woody, Id hazard a guess I could keep a few hundred at a time in my tank. Theyre quite easy transport in cold newspaper/sand/sea weed on ice. Would be dynamite up in SW scotland for the pollock and bass.

I bet you'd get a surprise with them around here too

12. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

is there no legal requirements for nettin sandeels though?? :suspious:

13. Dav

Dav Rockling

Is there ?

14. rusty1

rusty1 New Member

I dont think theres any legal requirements aslong as it isnt a commercial venture. It's gotta be worth checking beforehand tho'