1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secrecy Ignorance, And Outright Lies - Whats Your Opinion ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

I do keep smiling and hauling. Last year I was actually talking to a bloke on the end of the west pier about myself for a good half hour, I was well wrapped up for the cold and we started talking and he got on about me and what people were saying, especially about cowbar and one thing stuck in my mind what he said. He went on there one night after reading a post on here about me catching a few fish and he was joined by another ten anglers all saying the same thing, "that lobbers caught some nice cod on ere last night, we should be in for a fish or two", he told me how people where muttering on about that lobbers is full of shit and there's no way he caught them fish in that picture off here and how come not one of us has had a fish. He then told me that when there was only two of them left on there that I had posted that the fish came bang on high water so he stuck it out and bang on high water he got a six and half pounder and the other lad had two five pounders. So I said to him nice one mate on sticking it out. What's your name by the way And I said I'm lobbers nice to meet ya fella. Funny as fek he was all over the shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 magic crystals shine bright with this one Jedi

2. craigyb

craigyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Haha brilliant ;D

3. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

luv it m8 luv it ;D
    Wot it must be like to be famous lobbers lol
    They even talk bout u dwn ere on the holderness,lobbers this lobbers that unreal rn't they........

4. goaty

goaty Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Glenn that was a day for me to remember, about winter 2011?. I'd only started sea fishing about a year before, in that time i'd caught next to nothing and i remember that without the info on this forum i wouldn't have known where to begin. I know for about a month before i came round i was just reading everything i could on here about Hawsker and that it was a top place to fish. Kept thinking i need to give this mark a try, but how to find the right place to park and the getdown rope i knew that wouldn't be so easy.
    So that Saturday landed up at your house for some cart. Never ever had met you before, Got talking, bought some cart and you showed me one of your rigs and explained how it worked. Then i mentioned about trying to find Hawsker and you were like "hey i know i'll take you there now and show you where it is!" I just couldn't believe it. About 15 minutes later and we were looking over the cliff! To go out of your way to help me like that was something i will always remember.
    Was incredibly generous of you, absolutely no secrecy involved there and hopefully one day i can do something similar for someone else who is struggling abit.

Julian

5. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Makes you both sound cool, in my eyes.
    Helping others gives one a great feeling. Everybody should try it.
    And, as seen, it is properly appreciated and remembered too.

6. goaty

goaty Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yeah and again i have to say meeting Les last Sunday on Sandsend cliffs was another day i will never forget. He has to be one of the friendliest, most helpfull and knowledgeable anglers you could hope to have the privilege of fishing next to!
    I know this thread is about people keeping what they know about marks secret and not sharing information and being generally misleading but i think this guy is the epitome of the exact opposite!
    He covered every mark on the cliffs in detail explaining what time of / size of tide and sea conditions were best to fish each place including exactly where to cast and how long to fish before moving on to the next spot.
    I know that literally some of the marks he explained about i would have had to fish constantly for maybe a month on different tides to work out the info he told me in 5 or 10minutes! For someone like me who lives about 100miles away, to say when we got back to the carpark my head was rammed full with priceless golden nuggets of info would be quite an understatement!
    Living so far inland puts you at a dissadvantage to some extent, for me it makes me determined to make the most out of every trip over, to give it 100% with everything. To learn some more everytime. To be able to drive back home thinking i couldn't of done any more, fish or no fish.
    I don't have very much experience yet and i've never caught anything worth shouting about. But if i was fishing and and someone asked me a question or needed help i would do my best to help them. I know its experience that you really need to do well at this game and you can't just buy a packet of that in a fishing shop. For Les to help me like he did, to the point of sharing not just his experience but also his sandwich, (i was starving!) i will always remember and be very gratefull.
    Yeah helping someone out does give you a good feeling.
    I guess a million times more than being deliberately secretive because a complete stranger, (who is simply trying their best), asked you politely whats the best time to fish your favourite mark.

Julian

7. bow1

bow1 Rockling

hi Julian that's some trip you make from skipton,my wife and family are from there,lovely place but too far from the sea!!!!

8. fishergirl

fishergirl Blenny

I think it can be great to share information to help newbies find your feet, but do find it funny when local anglers turn up in crowds to fish a mark that fished well the previous day. It's the downside to social forums; anglers who spend years fishing the same marks over and over in different seas, tides and weather to find the best combination develop their favourite marks and I don't see anything wrong with them wanting to keep it a secret by not posting online. Don't think it's necessary to lie face to face to someone though whilst your stood fishing with a bag if fish behind you. Casting distance and bait will have as big an influence on whether you catch a fish as the right sea/tide will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. david blake

david blake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i think alot of us danglers are a bit like politicians dont trust all you hear ;)

10. Davyred

Davyred Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi lads

Just like to add my two penneth.

I don't post my catch reports on here as its a bit out of your way (Sunderland), but regularly post on NESA.

I think all forums are becoming the same. I'm with the fish follower theory. I don't mind posting my catches as I know that, ordinarily, the fish won't be there the next tide. I think its all a feature of life today, especially younger anglers. They want the info, and they want it now. When I started (40 years ago), there was no internet so you had to try marks out for yourself and keep diaries and collate the info. These days, they think pressing a mouse button can replace all that, where good anglers know differnetly.

What has started to hack me off is the amount of smart a*** comments you get when you post. On my last trip out, I had 13 fish to over 8lb (which was returned) for a total of over 40lb. I posted the details and added that I also lost a fish 7lb+ on the lift. Got a comment along the lines of how did I know it was that big?? No well done or nothing.

This has been a great site for me, found out loads of good info not just about the Whitby area, but also The MoG.

The only time I won't reveal a precise mark is when I'm at the MoG, as the Pollack fishing has been decimated by the take home brigade, and I don't want them all over the bass marks either.

There are some great posters on here whose reports I always look forward to reading, and I just think its a shame that people find the need to lie, or not post at all.