1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secrecy Ignorance, And Outright Lies - Whats Your Opinion ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 9, 2013.

1. simon22

simon22 Rockling

I fished the west one night (or tried) was there at low good sea on. 2 locals came and basicly bulloed me off the end!! Not backwards in come forwards but 2 v one is bad oddss so left!. I would still like to find the big man who threttened my 70 year old dad one night on the peir as they felt they should have his spot !!!! No room for that sort of dick imo. By the way u know who you are and can always pm me

2. robq

robq Rockling

I dislike the lying side of things ::)

If someone asks you where you've been and you dont want to tell them, just grin at them or give a sly wink ;D or just give a very vague location !

Dont lie though ::)

I share info about where I have been catching with people who share info with me :)

I like a 2 way street when it comes to sharing info :)

Unfortunately there are some selfish twats out there that just take take take ::) iv gone to the trouble of writing long pms giving advice on various things in the past amd often not even had a simple thanks or reply ::)

3. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

Fish following can also b very dangerous ,I've seen it first hand , we one nite had a good bag ov fish and put a post on the forum saying where we had been ,the next nite we were at the same mark then out of the blue about 6 lights came over the cliff top nearly walking off the edge it took them a hour to get down to the shore ,clearly they didn't have a clue where they were going could ov been a fatality that nite a was cringing watching them get down !!frightening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. jonnyhaddock

jonnyhaddock eric the viking

there is over 2600 members on the holderness site and over 800 have zero posts :eek: :eek:
    what does that tell you

5. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

I think a lot of anglers have gained massively with imformation which has been put up on this site there is more pros than cons on here a vast of imformation there will allways be people who keep things to themsleves and probably they have at sometime been told about a few spots there is one thing in life you never stop learning .

Even the top anglers in our regeion at some time were shown marks some people feed of other people but wont tell other people a thing but most lads will share imformation like i said one mark will fish one night the next night or even next tide its rubbish .

paul.

6. riley.

riley. Blenny

Think it's the way ppl have been brought up around here , I'm happy to mention any mark when asked as I feel no need to lie ,everyday a different day

7. GJW

GJW Rockling

I have read this topic and feel maybe I should contribute my thoughts.. I have not posted much of late not because anyone has told me not too, or I am being all secretive, simply that I have been lacking a bit of motivation and enthusiasm or maybe just lazy. Yes I have been out catching a few here and there but nothing out of the ordinary and sure you have all seen it before so feel why would anyone want to see half a dozen mops laid on a rock, plus the effort of uploading photos to photo-bucket etc is a pain when you don't have a great deal of time on your hands. When I travel whether it be abroad or in the UK I always try to put a topic on, It has been met with mostly positive remarks and hope it has encourage a few anglers to venture further a field, occasionally its been met with the odd negative comment like (Why do you have to go to Scotland to catch a few 6lbers?) truth is I don't, but its a change of scenery and somewhere I love to be whether its fishing or not, so no harm in sharing it is there?

I know match fishing is a bit different and its about having something in your bag that will give you that bit of an edge on the next person, whether that be having better baits, better marks, casting distance, so i see why match anglers are not likely to give there spot they fished away so freely just like you wouldn't give your best bait to your opponent.. Maybe the forum has or is becoming competitive, people wont say were they fished simply because they are afraid others will come along and take there glory. I am sure most anglers are willing to help, some will always give away more than others but I guess its the same in all areas of life.. I personally just think that anglers are going out and catching a few fish and don't think its exciting enough to warrant spending time writing and uploading pictures, for a few people to comment well done or nice bag of fish... Just my opinion.. Tight lines and big cod to you all.

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Garry my friend, be safe in the knowledge that your posts about Scotland have motivated a great many of us. Without your posts I think Id be sat watching my rod tip left of Runswick still.

9. Baramundi Bob

This isnt good Simon. Its your personal choice what you do and dont divulge, but trying to influence others isnt on mate. You also have forgot how much help I gave you and the information I told you about Sandsend cliffs whilst helping you pull your first decent fish up there.

10. cincinatti

cincinatti Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That's disgraceful behaviour towards an elderly Gent.. using his size to itimidate someone, like i said to a bloke who once said to me said 'i'm 6ft 5 and 17 st.. To which i replied i'm 6'1 and not afraid of heights!!

11. crazy horse

crazy horse Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

not sure how long the sites been going but when i first found the site an sat reading the stories an reports from many ov the guys who have added there views to this post ,cant remember many marks been named but the read was non the less for it ,as glen an others say no one has to give marks away to make a very interesting an enjoyable topic unless you are only on here for that reason ,which is very sad imo an to quote ray the baton is passed along every so often ,no offence intended its gone from the A team runners to the b team strollers.my self it takes little to pee me off an one ov my first reports were try as i did to sound as the rock numpty i was in the hope ov kind responses was taken slightly wrong an was greeted with a couple (not all) ov slightly sarcastic replys because ide not written the post as i now wished,,which in tale has always put me on the back foot were as posting comes,,on the other hand i learnt more in 2 years from glassback then i had in the pevious 25 ,that deffo would not ov happened if it hadnt been for the forum..its much better to say nothing imo then lie ,on a lighter note if bullshit was bait we would all be using it just some use bigger baits then others..

12. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

glen yes I have learnt off the site a great deal of the knowledge I have in the short time I've been shore fishing ,but the last 2-3 years I've reaped the rewards from a lot of hard work ,
    LI've gained a lot of knowledge of my own due to hard work,like I said sussing marks out ,what mark fishes at a certain tide digging steps in ,putting ropes down cliffs for access ,
    so it's all not take glen and lads are phoning and texting me for info which I gladly tell them ,
    I don't keep anything secretive and I defo don't tell lies if someone asks me I tell them ,
    glen that nite on simmy with lobbers I pulled a 9lber out and the next nite was my last nite off before I had to go back to work so no fishing for a week that's why I asked Paul not to put it on the forum as when a good fish is caught people do fish follower look at Lobbers 13lber on cowbar jetty next nite it was like Blackpool!!
    leads flying over peoples heads!!and john Paul's 17lb from port
    people were coming from all over the country to port on flat calm seas trying to catch its brother!!!
    Someone is going to get seriously hurt on this coast because lads don't no where they are going it is frightening ,
    or by the way I went to simmy the next night and it was s""""e so there's another lesson learnt !! Another day another tide !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

To be honest I understand why people may not want information divulged, whether match or pleasure fishing, so to avoid the mass onslaught of fish followers the next evening. I get that, whether its a correct attitude or not, I understand the reasons why..... buts its not just a single mark that fishes well constantly.

I prefer to fish the quieter marks away from the maddening crowds and can appreciate why people may want to keep things this way, especially following a decent run of fish. However, what I don't agree with is falsifying marks to put people off. As said above on some previous posts, give a generalised location as oppose to an exact position if need be. I see some pictures on facebook groups where people are going to lengths to try and put people off the marks and I just don't get this....why bother posting at all? why cover a fish in sand then run back onto the pier to photograph it?? I couldn't be @rsed.

But like mentioned previously, every tide is different...... If you have had a few fish then why not let people know, I think its the larger fish that attracts the followers as oppose to the bag. I enjoy reading catch reports, whether its a blank or a full bag.

I don't fish the area extensively but I have learnt a lot from this site and got some good information from a handful of people and I hope one day I can share with others also. I've done a great deal of coarse fishing across the region and can hopefully help people out where I can with this in the time being.

In a nutshell I think you're always going to get the secrecy but its the trust that shouldn't be jeopardised amongst anglers.

14. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Some of you lot should work for the ministry of intelligence for cod fishing.

This must be the 'CODGATE SCANDAL'

Heads will roll off the end of Whitby West when you are named and shamed.

I predict defections on mass to the other side (Lancashire :eek: ).

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

15. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

I didn’t respond to this thread immediately to hopefully give it some thought and what follows is only MY beliefs.
    I belong to a generation that put most of the ropes down, cut the paths, cut ledges, etc that most of the present day anglers take for granted. It was our lot to do this because we had access to transport something not many people in this area had at the time, before this we used the buses to get where we wanted to go.
    We made these paths etc not just to get at new marks but to get away from everyone else and hopefully give us an edge in the matches. There was secrecy and still is but there was lots of SHARED information between ourselves and still is but you tended to share the information with people who were also like minded and willing to cut paths, put ropes down etc not to people who just want to know everything without putting any effort in at all, you certainly did not share with strangers.

Now everything has changed information flows relatively freely through media like this site which I think overall is a change for the better..

The secrecy coming from club and match anglers is only to be expected they are COMPETITORS and look to find an advantage anyway they can,(see if Red Bull will pass onto Ferrari what pit stops they are going to make) they don’t want to share information about where they make their catches only to find the next time conditions are replicated they cannot get to the same place for the crowds. (We used to think Goldsbrough was crowded if there was 4 anglers there).These same people are usually very forthcoming with technical info and are in the main responsible for the leaps forwards regarding tackle, rigs etc.

Regarding my own contributions re catch reports I don’t consider catching a few mops worth reporting and don’t really consider anything less than a 20lb bag or double figure fish worth mentioning but don’t forget back in the day these were commonplace, I don’t own a mobile phone and can’t be arsed with photobucket etc
    For the record I fished Sunday in the Cloughton match on Sandsend Cliffs caught two fish one about 3lb and one 1.1/2lb nothing remarkable, I am sure there was more but that bloody wind killed it, did meet a good guy up there called Julian (Goaty) who regularly travels all the way from Skipton and fishes right through the night he’d been fishing since 8.30 the previous night, he deserves a medal.

Sorry for the length of the post. Take care.
    Les.

16. Baramundi Bob

Julian is a lovelly lad Les, he will remember I drove him to Hawsker in my own time and showed him the way down. A total gent and very very greatful. Nice to hear your back out fishing and enjoying it by the sounds of it.

Sadly I think club fishing by and large is dreadful. It has to be the most unsocial thing Ive ever been a part of. Even after a match, half the lads would go home sulking cos they never caught anything and the rest would sit in ones and 2 at seperate tables barely acknowledging the existence of anyone else. I even have friends Im considering cutting out of my life for the simple reason I find their behaviour totally ignorant, which I have to say is true of so many in the club scene, its appauling.

17. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

I suppose it goes with the times, it was totally different in my day, back to the pub regardless whether you caught out a couple of pints then a good laugh and general piss take, best part of the night, the majority all sat round the same table.
    Even better were the open matches in the Pier Inn and The Beach at Sandsend great times sessions and people.
    Occasionally even Mart cracked a smile. ;D ;D ;D

18. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Some eye opening stories in this thread .

I do agree that match and especially club fishing brings out the worst sometimes in anglers. But then it could be a whole topic on its own "the plus's and pitfalls of club fishing"

I don t like people lying about catches or locations but I also don' t like people telling others how much they should reveal. A lot of people have received a great deal of help from sites like this one and for me they should put back at least something every now and then.
    The holderness site was mentioned as having 800 members with zero posts........ There will always be lurkers, I don t mind the sit in silence types, if you don t want people to know what your up to you don t have to post but once you do you can t really expect to keep that to a chosen few, social networking sites are not about that.
    What annoys me is when people demand exact locations of catches yet those people contribute little, do nothing to further their own angling knowledge and so remain forever demanding but rarely achieving. Not so much on here but a very common occurance on the Holderness site to the detriment of quality reports yet one liners like " caught a cod here" get applause..... Followed by a stampede to the venue for them then to all blank!

I ve club fished the last 4 years and it did definitely effected my approach to fishing and not in a positive way. Fishing when I didn t want to, keeping quiet about catches etc. I met some great people during my club fishing spell but this year I ve breathed a sigh of relief and have enjoyed my fishing more than I have in a long time now I ve made the decision to have a break..... I might have another go who knows. .

I have received a massive amount of help from the great lads on here in particular Robq a knowledgable angler and a great mate, Glenn for the site and some golden nuggets of information over the years, Iain (Quint) always keen to drop by and show me a few spots to try, Ramrod again helpful but the one influence who a while ago encouraged me to think not follow...... I m still thinking but Don t seem to be getting anywhere lol along with many others who are great anglers and definitely not secretive..... Perhaps careful with what they share is more accurate.

I ve been guilty of not posting reports because I ve not really done much to report about, I ve been putting lots of hours in at two marks in the dark trying to learn them and with no photos and only the odd better fish I suppose it wouldn t make great reading. But then again the majority of the longer term members are also not posting many reports............ Is it just that just about everything has been reported and unless it has some thing unusual we think it wouldn t be worth reading? I don t know......

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

19. Lynn_M

Lynn_M Its all about fast bikes & fishing !!!! :-)))))

Now thats what i call a bloody good day , doing something which you have a passion for then getting together with like minded people for a few beers and good banter ;D 8) ;D

20. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

completely the opposite of my experiences in my 2 years as a Whitby club member. Most people went back to the pub, and everyone was friendly, chatted to me etc. yes not everyone was totally open about where they had fished etc but to be honest i felt wrong asking and would rather figure things out for myself, and of course there were little groups of mates etc but thats the same in anything like this isnt it?