1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secrecy Ignorance, And Outright Lies - Whats Your Opinion ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

It cant have gone UN-noticed that were in the middle of the best cod fishing season in the past 10 years yet we barely have a single cod fishing report from any of the regulars, despite you all whinging like mad in summer about the amount of kayak reports.

Just a couple of stories Ive been told confirms to me that Winter Cod Fishing anglers on this coast are amongst the most secretive there are.

I understand there are other dynamics at play and a lot of people have switched over to Facebook for their sharing of pictures etc, but even there I see the same things at play. I can fully understand the facebook thing, its easy and you get instant gratification from your mates. But where that leaves your data and information in 5 or 10 years time I dont know. Most things on there seem to be forgotten in hours. Ill go into some of my observations below.

My observations are obviously based on my own perceptions but this is what Im seeing and being told :

I spoke with a good friend on Saturday who told me a story of fishing Robin Hoods Bay a couple of weeks ago. He approached an angler in Sewer Hole who initially would not even talk to him despite the fact they know each other. Eventually he got a few words out of him and dared to ask how many fish he had caught. No reply was forthcoming. My friends words to me were "Glenn its getting worse"

A couple of weeks I spoke to my old mate Lobbers. Usually very enthusiastic about the site Paul has been very quiet this autumn. He told me of a night at Staithes where he was practically begged not to put a catch report on site. I think that particular mark is now known as "East of Berlin"

Closer to home I even have supposed friends who want to lie to everyone, myself included. I cant recall which one did it, and I think its now been removed, but around a month or so back one of them posted on Whitby Angling Supplies Page that they had had a stack of cod from Runswick Bay. I found it pretty strange as I know they are obsessed with Robin Hoods Bay and in particular South Hawsker and the left of Bay. When I made inquiries I was told they had faked the report to put people off the scent.

Those are just a few examples of what i have witnessed personally. What goes on out there must be multiplied 10 fold. To be honest i have no room to speak as Ive done it all myself before and I understand fully what goes on with you all.

Like I said at the start. Im not too concerned. I rarely Winter fish myself these days for various reasons. Also it would never have mattered anyway as I always did my own thing and cant think of many times that I read a report so I could go fish where the fish were caught. I always believed as I do now that its better to predict than to follow. Im also not concerned about the impact on the site because despite the lack of reports there are still masses of readers coming via Google and driven in by social media marketing. Ive always based the site on quality rather than quantity which is now paying dividends.

I guess the reason for my topic, is, to give you something to debate. Do you think I make it up ? Have you ever witnessed lies or being asked to keep things quite ? Do you believe it to be a good or bad practice ? What do you think of Facebook ?

2. Lynn_M

Lynn_M Its all about fast bikes & fishing !!!! :-)))))

Unless ive missed it im suprised there have not been a few reports put up about whitby west, considering it was heaving Sat night :-\

I see threads getting put up , plenty of views but not alot of interaction between forum members and little banter yet when we see fellow fishers out and about they are always chatty and more than happy to speak to you.

Share the love people, im sure theres plenty of fish for all ;)

3. fishface1

fishface1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

not sure about the rock marks but the local places skinny saltburn etc is packed next tide if any decent bags are caught so most i no keep quiet

4. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

You know my views on secrecy Glenn I have made it plain on many occasions --- I CANT BE DONE
    WITH IT --- along with Our Chosen Mark etc etc , along with those that are purely readers and wont
    reply to peoples posts , and the flannel merchants , dreamers etc

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I haven't fished a lot lately, only the one session on sat night when i only managed 2.

I will quite happily tell people where i caught fish . BUT.. and you can call me selfish if you want, if I was thinking of going to the same spot the next night due to conditions being right for it, I wont put it on here because I know that the place would be rammed.

I don't mind company but i don't like fishing crowded spots, hence why i don't fish whitby west etc. I'll quite happily say where i got fish if I'm not going the next night due to conditions not being right.

6. cincinatti

cincinatti Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I'm sure it does go on. when i used to fish for carp some lengths people would go to hide knowledge was unbelievable. Trouble is people follow trends, so if a mark is producing you see a surge of anglers hitting these spots, much to the annoyance of anglers who regularly fish there, this leads to smoke screens which is understandable. I've had in the past in Norfolk where other anglers set up only yards from where i was fishing because i'd had a few, happened to me at Runswick where 3 anglers set up and promptly started casting over my line and tangling me up,i swore and thought about having a go but i called it a day and went home. It's a shame!

7. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

I honestly dont know why people are so secret any good angler will tell you each spot has its best conditions and very often if you go to a spot the night after a certain spot has fished well very often the conditions arent the same and its crap the horse has bolted makes me laugh.

Typical example a lot of yesrs ago i was on the west on tuesday afternoon this is in the 80ss had 41 codlings off the west peir non stop action couldnt keep up with 2 rods next day night club match the swell had dropped right down where did all the members go on the west peir had east row beck to myself at sandsend perfect for it weighed in 29lb that night some long faces back at the weighin.

paul.

8. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

This year i've noticed quite a radical change in the way that this site seems to be heading in terms of its openness and helpfulness to the point of completely going out of its way for the good of all who contribute and read the information and posts that appear on these pages. It's been like a breath of fresh air. So well done and thank you for all the contributors to this site who have a helpful and positive attitude. This year I've learned loads from everyone on this site and I hope that I can say I have put a bit back where I can.

I've never been able to understand the secrecy thing when it comes to sea angling, particularly on our East Coast.
    If you are one of those people into this ridiculous secrecy thing then I guess that you are just a bit sad and I can't be doing with you - GET A LIFE!

BP

9. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

Glen yes it was me who asked lobbers not to put a pic on that nite as I was going t fish the same spot the next nite , due to working shifts I carnt get out as much as I would love to and we all don't like fishing in crowds , I will quite happily help anyone and point them in the right direction , but I myself am a still a newcomer compared to some ov you lads !, yes I've put a lot ov my spare time in walking the shores sussing marks out , digging steps , putting ropes in and it has payed off for me and jape this year , yeh a don't post as much as I used to as a lot ov lads don't and we all no why we hate fishing shoulder to shoulder with other anglers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. robq

robq Rockling

I am not saying its right or wrong to keep your fishing to yourself, i am sure as you have admitted yourself Glenn that we all go through phases where we are quieter than others.

One thing that I dont think will ever change, is that the vast majority of north east rock anglers are secretive FACT !!

Maybe its down to the amount and type of club fishing ( I.E rover ) that goes on 2 or 3 times a week for most clubs ?

Rightly or wrongly some of those anglers will believe that they have an edge and will want to keep it rather than share it ???

Only a suggestion :)

11. Lynn_M

Lynn_M Its all about fast bikes & fishing !!!! :-)))))

One thing i didnt mention is that for all those that have given me advice and the amount of good reading on the website i cant thank you enough ;D

Been inland makes it difficult to get across as much as we would like to, so it makes it that little bit harder to learn marks as it would to a newbie living on the coast.

If i lived over there i dont think id spend much time in the house lol ;D

12. smokey

smokey Rockling

It's rife in club fishing glenn and it will never change,rightly or wrongly.
    I still remember clearly to this day being a 15 year old junior in filey club at a night weigh in,i always tried to glean info from where the adults had been as you do as a keen youngster.
    I won't mention names but he is VERY well known in filey club,i knew damn well where he'd fished as I'd seen him but asked him anyway,he outright bullsh1tted me which as a young un at the time made me stand back and think,the same angler tried intimidating me off "his" mark the same year,i stood my ground and told him where to go which he didn't like.

Fast forward 10 or so years and I got taken down little bay in the Yorkshire 4's by Jamie stavely, I went back there in the next filey match and 2 minutes before the match starts the friendly filey angler turns up giving me sh1tty comments telling me I was "in his spot",which anyone who knows little bay will know is a p1ss take as the hole is 500 yards or more long,long story short he set up right next to me,he ended up with 2 nits for 3lb and I ended up with 8 fish for 20lb+,you couldn't of written it,it fooking destroyed him.

There is pro's and con's for both arguments I can very well understand someone who has learned the hard way and put hour upon hour into marks to get the bigger picture won't post about it on the internet and in my opinion I totally agree as it's not just the members on here who get to see it but all the lazy freeloaders who never join the site but can still get all the info for no effort.

Another thing to mention is the people who slate people for not revealing things like on this thread,every man woman and child has the right to do as they please or say as they please and nobody no matter how holy they think they are has the right to slate them for it.
    People who know me know if I'm talking face to face to them I will tell them what I know(which isn't much compared to others) but on the other hand I wouldn't give detailed info on here,what's wrong with that?? maybe I just need to GET A LIFE...

13. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

that last paragraph is absolutely spot on Smokey.

14. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

Yeh al 2nd that Matty!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. craigyb

craigyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I was told while fishing the rocks a few weeks back that Glenn is the biggest culprit of creating a smoke screen ::) whether or not this is true I don't know.....

16. bobby

bobby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Last November 6 of us went to Arbroath and i took the time to take photos and write a report on this forum when i got home which took alot of time as im not very good with computers, the thread was locked for no reason what so ever, this year we had a cracking time catching alot of cod and everybody said whats the point in doing a thread for it to be locked again, thats why i dont do catch reports anymore! nothing to do with secrecy.

17. bow1

bow1 Rockling

eas just thinking. bout this this morning.i agree the amount of reports and contributions from old regulars has fallen dramatically and the cooment about a lot of views on topucs and no interaction was raised by mad mic to me ladt night bout a horden thread,our lical beach.400plus views and only 2 or 3 contrubutors.

whilst im way behind rest of lads in catches this year i do post em.uncluding venue.i cant be doing secrecy myself.
    however i agree bout marks being swamped and i too dont like crowds so i can see where people are coming from but posting a repirt with a few non descript pics,not giving venue away cant harm.

I know its part of club fishing but on a social site as this I don't see need for creating misinformation or smokescreens,either tell us where you've been or don't its up to the individual but misleading people???it dosent help people learn where as if they pick a mark themselves and are successful or not that's a different learning experience.

after all we all like to look at fishy fotos and see people doing well so come on putt up reports....u dont have to give game away if u prefer not too.it makes for a more interesting site....

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

18. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I wouldn't want to comment on individuals because it's up to them what they do. Perhaps the amount of cod about has had a negative affect on posts. In the last few years half a dozen cod would have been a good haul, this year it's unremarkable.

What I tend to forget, and probably a few others, is that not all members are seasoned anglers. The better you become the harder it is to be impressed and this year a few mops just dosn't cut the mustard. I was at boulby yesterday fishing the match with quite a few others, I had 6 cod for a decent ish bag and never even weighed in, along with most of the others. It was uninpressive, considering a 27lb bag was weighed in and loads of fish over 5lb.

The site is a bit like a relay, with people posting then after a while handing over the baton to others. Mabe its maxed out. The secrecy has always been a problem and does little to help or encourage others which is a shame if you consider the big picture, but fish followers can be a pain in the arse too, some are a waste of a good hole if there is a match on.

The upside is, conditions and tides are forever changing, and the fish swim so in reality, certainly regarding cod, a post dosn't give many secrets away. As I,ve said before, there's not a mark anywhere on this coast where a good fish, good bag, or a match hasn't been won from. They all produce, knowing when to be there is the key.

Another point is, you don't have to name your mark if you don't want to unless its one of the participation posts ie fifty cod challenge.

19. smokey

smokey Rockling

You should be a politician ramroot,a very diplomatic post ;D

I had 5 out of cayton Friday night in a very quick session,it's only the 2nd time I've slung a lead in anger in the last 2 years and like you said,i had 5 fish for about 14lb and wasn't overly impressed,it was a biggie I was after.

On a side note glenn,posting pics nowadays is an absolute ballache,is there no way of making the forum so a photo can be copy and pasted direct from your pics,i tend to think it won't be possible but if it was I would post more pics and reports,it's just that p/bucket is a pain in the arse these days :-X

20. bow1

bow1 Rockling

I thought that bout foto buckrt and am no computer whiz,it took me ages to get on tapatalk but its real easy fro there mate.

also glenn is there not a way of blocking out the lurkers who spend all time looking but not contributing I think not but as I said im no computer whiz.

also I know its fishing well and appreciate seasoned anglers not being impressed by half dozen mops buit a lot of lads would be over the moon with thet ,me included.wed still like to hear about it so come on lads ,please!!!