1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sea urchin today

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by mr lee, Nov 20, 2011.

Tags:
  1. mr lee

mr lee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Si and me went out with peter on Sea Urchin today and Mick. An early start was greeted with clouds of low fog which made driving down to the harbour interesting as we passed over the top of the moors. Once parked and onboard we were off with a group of Polish lads and one other fella. The sea was flat calm as we left the harbour and the sun was just starting to show it's red top over the horizon as we passed the bellbouy.

The initial plan was uptiding but Peter phoned us the day before to say it wasn't producing and we would be working over ground instead. No problem to us at all though. As we steamed out it was a choice over bait or hokkias etc. Si and me chose bait and we were soon into fish a few miles off. I landed a ling which had decided to wrap itself all round my line and tie itself into knots. That was fun unhooking it. :suspious:

A steady show of codling, whiting and ling were boarded before we moved further out and the same again, ling and codling. We eventually went out to about 9 mile I think where a few more fish were found but again, ling was the main fish to be landed. I had a take which was a big one and bent the rod round that far I thought it was going to snap. A short fight of reeling line in and losing line as the ling took some back ensued. As I started to finally wind it in there was a sudden release of pressure on the rod and the fish was gone. :cry: Damned thing chewed through my rig and escaped. I can honestly say, I have never had a fish pull and take line like that one did. A bit disappointed but hey ho...it happens.

As we finally came back in an alert came over the radio to a small boat just outside of the harbour taking on water quicker than they could bail it out. From where we were it looked like a fire as we could see red flames over it. It turned out to be a flare being waved though as there was no fire to be seen but as we got close the RNLI turned up to take over cover of the small arvor style boat which had gone to help. it looked like they towed it in though so hopefully all onboard were safe and well and didn't lose their boat. It did look rather choppy though for such a small boat to us.

Just want to say a massive thanks to Peter and Mick who worked hard to find us fish on a slow day. From the radio chatter we could hear most other boats were having similar luck to us. Not a massive bag day but a bloody good fun day with some cracking weather to suit. I also found out a large lings favourite food......My thumb! :hurt: damn did that hurt when I was unhooking it and the bloody thing turned and had a taste. We live and learn though. No pictures i'm afraid.

Thanks Peter and Mick. We'll be back soon for another top day!

Lee

2. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Good report Lee was the new skipper not bothered about fishing the uptide comp.

Sorry to hear you lost a good fish I did the same on board sea otter last year after Paul had mentioned my traces being to light at 80lb mono and he was spot on a ling bit right through it.

3. mr lee

Yeah Peter would have loved to have fished the comp but the fish were just so thin it would have been a very poor day. I think most of the skippers ended up wrecking or drifting over ground.

It was decided to give the anglers a better and more fruitful days fishing and catching rather than a lot of blanking I believe.

4. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

I bet a few would have been gutted if they only had brought uptiding gear.

5. mr lee

We made a few uptiding rigs up last night but to be fair, Peter did ring everybody to let them know of his decision yesterday evening, so fortunately everybody brought the right gear. I just tend to leave all my crap in one box anyway so i'm covered for allsorts of fishing.

Or is it that i'm a lazy sod and don't like sorting out my tackle box? :laugh:

6. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

7. Seeing as you mention fish biting through 80lb trace (ouch !!) does anyone ever use metal traces ? as you might for Pike Fishing ?

8. wilky

wilky Blenny

Probably 3,4 years ago I had a couple of 36h trips on Chieftain, and both times I got bite offs on home made rippers attached to big pirks. The rippers were made out of that thick green twine I think you can still get in the tackle shops for the purpose. Unlike Mr Lee I only managed to hang onto the fish for a couple of seconds before the action was terminated. I dont think a shark would have got through that stuff as quickly.

9. david blake

david blake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

halibut allso have sharp teeth so was it ling :wink:

10. Simon L

Simon L Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yeah big thanks to Pete for the trip out :) I got some good cod so i,m a happy bunny :) See you on the next trip out ;)