1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sea Urchin Comes To Whitby - 1960's

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

2. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not quite sure, is the old Midland bank in the background a pub now?

3. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Boots corner on the left and behind sea urchin is road up to flowergate on the right and baxtergate infront of sea urchin going right .

paul.

4. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

Must be on his way to Whitby Angling Supplies.
    Cheers Col.

5. Baramundi Bob

Its going the opposite direction Col

6. Baramundi Bob

If im right, the buildings on the left are now demolished and its kiddies corner.

7. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Glen there was a fishing tackle shop on that block it was arthur humbles i went in when i was a kid when boots corner was demolished he moved over the bridge to where greens restaurant is there was a wet fish shop on that block right next to bridge which is out of sight it was winks as you can see cars went up and down baxtergate in those days as you can just see the road goes left round the corner past sea urchin onto new quay road and past the angel.

paul.

8. Baramundi Bob

Am i right in thinking there was 2 way traffic on the bridge too ?

9. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Yes there 2 way traffic and heavy lorries went over that bridge in the early 70ss i lumped fish onto wagons on the fish market terry from hull would sometimes have his big wagon loaded with fish 100ss and 100s of boxes i wouldnt like to think just what weight he was carrying but it was a lot more than the 15 tons permitted .

paul.

10. mike33

mike33 New Member

Glenn...........there is the cannon (painted white) on boots corner........the one I showed you the other week its just above kiddies corner now.....people were always crashing into it :laugh:, I not sure but I think you could drive up Golden Lion Bank in them days.

Mike

11. barrymac

barrymac Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

where the sign for midland bank is is that the road that leads to the singing kettle cafe?

12. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

There must have been lots of honest,rich fishermen in Whitby back then,3 banks in less than 50 yards :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:.I hear they keep their cash under the floorboards and mattresses these days :suspious: :suspious: :suspious:

13. ian wils

ian wils Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

boots corner. there used to be a big ironmongers there think it was called carver weirs bill blythmen worked there and a large second hand shop owned by someone called irish jack. the sea urchin used to moor just down river of the bridge house opposite woolworths and it belonged if am not wrong to john porteus who was caretaker of whitby west school now caedmon. they used it as a dive boat .

14. Bernie

Bernie Blenny

Kiddies corner at the back of that Boots used to be a good spot when I was young. It got packed with kids - you could get a pennock virtually every cast float fishing , quite often flounder, and if you cast a ledger by the pontoons there were big eels. It was impossible to get some of them in if they got their tails round the old woodwork. :yes: