1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sea sickness

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by wildcard, Aug 13, 2008.

1. wildcard

wildcard Guest

I agree with what steerser says though that some of it must be in the mind. One of the cures is to take the helm of the boat and be skipper for a while. I sometimes suffer from car sickness on long journeys while a front seat passenger, but never when I'm driving.

wildcard

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Well having taken a break from rig tying I ve found this thread really interesting as in the past I have suffered occasionally from sea sickness.On the kayak it hasn t bothered me at all.

From the bit of reading I ve just done on the topic ( a quick flick through an doctors report for the Royal Airforce on motion sickness), it would appear that both Dave and Steerser are right in a way.

Motionsickness apparently is caused by the disparity of information the brain is receiving.Ie. the eyes are telling the brain that the body isn't moving but the inner ear is. That disparity then causes the feeling of sickness and all the other associated symtoms.

So the " all in the mind" isn't quite right,but neither is "its all to do with the inner ear" it is the miss match of information both sensory organs are providing the brain.Hence why the onset can be reduced by looking at the horizon...because then your eyes also detect the motion the same as your ear does....fascinating...I never thought that much about it but reading that does make sense.
    Oh and the report also stated there is no known actual prevention but the symptoms can be reduced with ginger or taking Sturgeron.

Very interesting thread .

Cheers Jellyworm.

3. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

I can vouch for Stugeron. Use them and no bother at all. Went out at seahouses last Thursday on a touristy trip with novices. Did not take any tablets and spewed my ring up. Did not spoil fishing but wished i had took the tablets. Mind i was right next to the exhaust and breating in diesel fumes. Skipper refused to switch off the engine on our drifts as boat would have flooded.
    Mick.

4. Hammy

Hammy New Member

Not something I suffer from thank goodness, but keeping your eyes on the horizon like jelly says definately helps,
    I did once feel a bit ill on a north sea ferry on the way to holland, but I reckon that was more due to the three bottles of wine I'd put down me. I did take great joy in consuming a massive greasy fried breakfast in the morning, whilst people looked on with green faces, hehehe. :evil:
    I apologise for laughing, I know it's a pretty horrible thing for those that get it. :yes:

5. runner

runner New Member

seasickness is not a pleasant experience, you feel drained
    and just want to get off the boat.
    i find by going to the toilet for both a pee and poo before
    setting out helps alot as well.
    keeping busy and looking at the horizon helps to.

6. warrior

warrior New Member

tried sea legs & was sick i swear by kwells they r brill.& yes it,s 2 do with the fluied in ur inner ear. me 2 sea sick in bath..wish there was a cure ... :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: