1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sea Sickness Remedy?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by FireFly, Jun 11, 2010.

1. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

Hi Guys
    Probably been asked a few times but here goes.

I have the chance to get over to Wales in a few weeks and get aboard a mates boat, the only trouble is, years ago I was always sea sick. Didn't bother me, just had a quick sarnie and a drink of coffee to give the stomach something to work on BUT it upset everyone else!!! :yes: :embarrass: :yes:

So what do you take before a trip if you need to and how effective do you find the remedy, if it works at all?
    cheers

2. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

I have my sea legs but if i were to recommend anything it would stugeron tablets. all chemists stock them and they have worked great for me when needed
    hope they work for you and you have a good trip out :yes:

3. smokey

smokey Rockling

Stugeron tablets have a very good reputation,but like anything they won't work for 100%of people.
    Ginger is supposed to be very good as well mate so maybe worth a go.
    One thing i will say is don't be spending too much time sitting down looking at the deck of the boat or kneeling on the floor to rig up,this is a sure fire way of making you barf.Keep your eyes on the horizon as much as you can.

All the best and i know exacly how you feel,i used to be very green behind the gills and there is no worse feeling ... tight lines

4. Stevie

Stevie Blenny

Have some jam sarnies. Taste the same going down as coming up. :vomit: :laugh:

5. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

best advice i would recommend is not to go sea fishing with deadlylookingfishead he makes me sick Ha Ha hi Rich if its your mates boat take the helm this can work because you are concentrating on something else if that fails do you puke when steaming out or on the drift if steaming out lie flat on the deck looking up if on the drift then don't stare at the water keep your head high and keep looking round should you get a fish on again dont stare at the water i was watching my lad fishing on my boat two or three years ago all was well until he got a fish on then he was reeling in and looking at the water as the fish came up just as it broke surface it was met by him puking ERRR that one whent back ive also found its only when its a flat sea best of luck with the fishing tightlines Alain

6. rabbi2

rabbi2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The two top brands are Stugeron and Quells, both stocked by any chemist but remember to take them 1 hour before you sail, both last up to 8hrs.

No good taking them when you are feeling sick as they won't work.
    Cheers
    keith

7. jacfodder

jacfodder Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi firefly
    There's only one cure for seasickness and thats length of time at sea. Dont drink the night before and have a light breakfast. Take the tablets half an hour before you go out and mainly, take plenty of liquids with you (not beer) :vomit:

After being sick have a drink yes it will come back but it will give your stomach something to work on and spray your mates with :laugh:
    The last thing you want is stage two, retching and bringing bile up.
    Dont forget to shout HUeeey.

8. oddjob

oddjob Blenny

big wedge of jamaica ginger cake and a flask of strong black coffeee.. grandad swore by it an he never got sick... then again maybe he had sea legs an just liked coffee and cake :laugh:

9. Piscator

Piscator Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

... and if you're on Warfarin, Stugeron (containing Cinnarizine) won't affect it.

10. GRAWLER

GRAWLER Guest

I used to get sea sick until a friend of a friend is a serious diver he goes out diving every weekend and he used to always throw up, sometimes having to go back to shore after spending £100's on a dive boat for the day
    he found this cure from an american diving buddy.
    they are a small stick on patch which you stick behind your ear the night before going on the sea and which last upto 3 days
    they are only available on prescription they are called SCOPODERM TTS (only in packs of two, so get your doctor to perscribe 10)
    i have tried every tablet & band etc i can get my hands on. these are the only things that
    worked for me.
    having had my kayak for a year now i don't have any more sea sickness. you soon gain your sealegs!

11. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

Thanks for all the replies lads, it really is appreciated.

I used go out regular over 25 years ago but NEVER got my sea legs, just the old cup of coffee and sarnie every time I shouted for Hugheeeee or Raaaaaalph!
    I will try the tablets or maybe see my doctor, I am on aspirin but not warfarin thank goodness so I see him fairly regular anyway and are due a visit anytime now.

I will post a few pic's etc if we get out and I don't see why not. He reckons he is going to take me to a place they call the 'bass banks' so should be interesting seeing as in the last couple of weeks they have been pulling out bass from 5lb up to 12lb and it is ONLY the start of the season!!! Yippee. :happy:

Looking foward to the end of July Foo!
    Thanks and tight lines to all.

12. hughiep

hughiep Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Ginger Biscuits.

13. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Jam and bread sandwiches they taste the same coming up as they do going down

14. brocky

brocky Hot Rod !!!

cheers for the replies lads haha i keep feeling abit sick when i'm out in my yak, maybe its because i'm not catching but yea :canadian: my first session i had to paddle back in and the second i was abit better so hopefully i'm gaining my sea legs might have to try some of them tablets just in case :wink: :yes: i don't want this to put an end to my kayaking.

cheers lee

15. Hairybeast

Hairybeast Blenny

never been sea sick myself, have seen quite afew go green, then grey, roll over and bring their stomach linnings up, well that's what it sounds like, cccclllllaaarrrennnnnccccceee. I am the joker that stands beside you when you are being sick eating bacon and egg butties. Have been told that diluted orange juice works very well, and this by some who where sea sick at the slightest movement of a rocking chair.

16. bassman

bassman Administrator

Got to agree with the jam remedy, big spoon full first thing on a morning and the taste is just the same on its way back up

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

17. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Stugeron works for me. You take 2 an hour before you go then 1 every six hours.

Mick.

18. mr motorola

mr motorola New Member

Don't stare at the water , look at the horizon.
    Keep your mind occupied , don't dwell or even think about the churnings in your stomach / mind.
    Have a laugh with the lads (great cure if you ask me)

And if you really do feel like groundbaiting then it's paramount that you replenish fluids no matter if you will throw them back up keep the water going back down , dehydration on top of sea-sickness isn't very nice...i've seen it many a time while out fishing.

TBH , if i'm really honest , i think sea-sickness is all in the mind..one bad trip leaves scars in the mind and they surface once you're back on open water. If you think you're going to be sick then your mind will believe it.

I hope you have a cracking trip mate and can't wait for the report.....remember DRINK WATER!!!!

19. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

It's all to do with you're inner ear mate so you can get used to it or in a lot of cases not.Best bet is to get something down yer neck so you have something to hoy up saves going to the bile bit :vomit:

20. Tommy

Tommy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Best ever cure for sea sickness is to stand under a tree.
    Tommy.