1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sea Licence

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by lochbois, Aug 19, 2010.

Tags:
  1. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I have been cut of again by NTL but im back haveing paid what they want. :happy:
    I see that they are still talks to charge sea anglers to fish in England.
    Dave and Nick will do anything to get our money . I wish somebody would get other water users and even the walkers who use the river banks ect to contribute something to pay for our seas and rivers.
    We all know nothings for free ,unless you are a poacher, but i get annoyed when anglers always have to fork out all the time :sad:pB

2. esoxuk

esoxuk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Ive had an EA lisense for many years and as yet I have never really found out how much the money it raises is actually put back into angling. The same will happen with a sea lisense, all it will do is replace some government funding and disapear down a black hole.
    Maybe the National Lottery should be run by the government and the proceeds used to coversuch requirements.... but then again they would never pay up to the winners :laugh:

3. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

i thought i'd read somewhere that cameron was all for the free fishing to continue....? could be wrong mind :)

4. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

I pay my licence fees every year but very rarely freshwater fish nowadays.( maybe 5 times a season max.) It is quite surprising how much work goes on over winter etc at local fisheries that licence fees help towards the cost of.
    I would never support the actioning of a sea fishing licence as it goes against everything I believe in, However, I would support some sort of "pay-to-fish" venture on some of the local piers and structures as I believe this would eradicate the the litter droppers and general undesirables from the fishing scene.

5. hughiep

hughiep Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

He did in sea Angler just after he got in power.....but when has any politician ever told the truth ?

6. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

totaly agree i would happily pay to fish off piers and jettys as i belive it would stop a lot of the chavs and litter droppers in the summer messing them up and giving all anglers a bad name but i would not pay to fish rock marks or beaches not a chance

7. grimreaper

grimreaper Blenny

If you pay to fish off piers and jettys then you would find that a risk assesment would be done ?? then what?? paying for sea fishing would be the end of sea fishing I think.

8. lochbois

lochbois Guest

i like to do a spot of winter fishing sea fishing when the rivers finish.
    Do you think anglers who do the same as me, would be willing to pay an extra pound on their freshwater licence if they knew it would improve our coastal waters around Britain.PB

9. burtyme

burtyme Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I remember fishing the south gare as a kid with my dad, and the Tees & hartlepool port authority man coming along and checking the pier/behavior/litter etc and collecting a small fee for fishing on a daily basis. Or you could pay at the start of the season for a annual permit. I don't remember ANY pi$$ heads being on the pier when you had to pay!! Could be a good idea to bring that back, but would not be happy paying to fish on the beach etc.

10. Tommy

Tommy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I don’t believe that we as sea anglers should have to pay for a licence to fish, but that does not mean that I don’t believe that sea anglers should not be licensed. Just like hobby shell fishermen are licensed. They don’t have to pay for there licence (the same as commercial fishermen) but at least the authorities do then have an idea how many hobby fishermen they have in there district and the same authorities should be able to take that licence off ay offenders. No licence no fish. It would also give sea anglers some accountability as of how many numbers of us there are and who fishes where in regards to regions.
    I would expect that there could be a small fee paid for postage etc.
    Tommy.

11. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Seem to have distant memories of trying to sneak past the turnstile at saltburn pier to avoid paying, lol,and I also have some recollection of having to pay a small fee to access the extensions at Whitby in the distant past but I could be mistaking that with the Gare.

12. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I seem to remember that turnstile at saltburn pier. wasnt the shelter on the end also.Bet that was a funny old job to do. With some funny tails to tell :happy:pB

13. madmickyb

madmickyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

when i was on holiday a couple of years ago you had to pay to fish off the pier at Llandudno theres a small extension at the end of the pier and its the only place fishing is aloud not that i botherd !!...

tightlines ...mick

14. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

To get a licence for nothing would be a massive mistake for sea anglers in this country the start of a very big slippery slope for a start how long would it be for nothing any licence you purchase in this country costs money the admin alone would be the first exuse ask any commercial fishermen what they think about licences the under 10ss for starters which are mostly potters would shoot you down in flames the only reason you would want any authority to know how many anglers there are would be to generate some sort or regulation on sea angling it would be loading a gun for them and they would also charge you for the privalge we went all out a few years ago to get it stopped why would you want to pay for a licence when all you would get is nothing in return it would be jobs body for somebody sat in an office and start of some sort of restriction on people who wander down to the sea and wet a line lets just leave it that way there arent many things that are free in this country and to have sea angling licence would be a disaster for all sea anglers in this country there freedom to fish in the the sea that ranges for the kiddies on bootes corner to man fishing off the rocks would be taken away to get a licence would be a restriction to your freedom when you arent doing anybody any harm.

paul.

15. ijakk

ijakk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well even if a sea lisence is introduced there would be zero funding to enforce it, if the fresh water license is anything to go by. I've been a fresh water fisherman for over 25 year and ive always had a license in that time, how many times have I been checked by an EA enforcement officer? Not once in 25 years and I go fishing 2-3 times a week, I'm stArting to think they have got something against me, maybe i should put them on my Xmas card list hmm. Even though the EA do get some stick from fishermen at times, the fisheries department both marine and fresh water, do some good and much needed work, strange that fresh water fishermen don't complain more about having to fund both departments, fresh water anglers certainly spend just as much time moaning on about various issues, otters, cormorants, kayak trespassing, water abstraction, pollution etc etc but mostly where have my fish gone ,who's going to put them back and when, at least when you pay a license to the EA you have someone to blame when it all goes tits up.

16. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Any chance of those fishing reports with pictures you keep promising us Tommy ?

17. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

18. fishermanbob

fishermanbob Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I always remember when i was a young lad having to pay some old guy to fish on the gare carnt remember how much it was 25p i think then all ov a sudden you had to get your ticket from the THPA in the town , we peddled there on our bikes with rods and waders tied to the crossbar only to have to peddle back to the boro get our permit and peddle back !!!!!! arr the gud old days

19. Tommy

Hi big cod. I totally agree with you. Read my post again. I never mentioned paying for a licence. Could you please tell us all how much a hobby fisherman (limited shell fisherman) has to pay for his licence? Or commercial fishermen come to that? And do you think that the limited shell fishing regulations for hobby fishermen are knot backed by commercial fishermen or hobby fishermen themselves. Local bodies (fisheries committees etc) have a duty (historically) to recreational fishermen who have fished the sea for a hobby for decades, the same as they have a duty to commercial fishermen. Fisheries officers have told me on numerous occasions that the licensing of recreational shell fishermen was one of the major steps forward in protecting there hobby and the fragile shell fishery that so many people really on.
    I believe that if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear from a licensing scheme. One that will cost you nothing. With the soon introduction of the marine bill in all areas and there stance on accountability from all shareholders a licensing scheme of some sort is inevitable. I hope (like you) that it will not cost us anything.
    Many regards Tommy.

20. Tommy

I don’t take a camera with me but next time I go fishing I promise you a report.
    Tommy