1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sea Fishing On The Isle Of Skye With The Whitby Bass Club

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by Baramundi Bob, Jul 20, 2013.

1. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Re: Sea Fishing On The Isle Of Skye With The Whitby Bass Club

I'd watch that, but it would have to be after 9pm, and I would need a bigger telly to fit them all in, looking at that group shot!

Will

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

2. cps

cps Rockling

only down side to going there for a week is you could drive and walk round for a week just taking all the views in, would need a second week to do some fishing
    but that's Scotland :yes: just a nice place to be [when it don't rain and blow :laugh:]

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Certainly would agree there Chris. To be honest I havent fished a right lot, just sat back enjoyed the views and took some photos. Its just so amazing words could not do it justice. The downside is the midges.

4. Baramundi Bob

Wait till you see Kev's Video, its awesome, minus a few dodgy bits I think the Skye tourist board would be really interested.

5. Baramundi Bob

https://www.facebook.com/glenn.kilpatrick.whitby/media_set?set=a.10201356648660268.1073741834.1295209724&type=1

6. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

7. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

8. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Looks like a right load of Pollocks to me!

BP

9. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just got back myself, and concur with some comments here - that one cannot even begin to do it justice in a week. Not even close.
    I drove to all corners of the island and now want to go back and fish some of the amazing beaches I saw but hardly had a chance on - wrong set-ups, no bait, no time, slightly wrong conditions, etc. etc..

I dropped Baramundi a PM to tell the guys about Talisker beach. Honestly, it just took your breath away. A storm beach, black and white sand, terraces to the south and shear cliffs of 100m to the north, with an extraordinary waterfall down it.

Gulleys. Rocky marks. You name it. Only had a few casts, but I imagine a dream for bass on the right day. I fished it with Panic and Top Prey's and imagined that I was probably the first to do so, ever! Bit flat, and no bites, and only 30 mins, but still...
    As Bob says, no lures of any descriptions in tackle shops.

I stayed in a thatched cottage in Elgol, the most incredible place. The fishing was out of this world, but I could only manage a few sessions with taking in the rest of the island.

As I left, I chatted with the owner, who has just stopped commercially shrimp fishing (I imagine because he does so well from his four thatched cottages rented out non-stop).

He told me that they caught 'barn door' skates in Slapin Loch just to the south of the headland in the winter, and within casting of land.

He said they were so big they closed the nets and stopped his boat. He said that, even with four burley fishermen, they could hardly drag them into the boat.

Iain, who does Skye's shore fishing website works on the tourist boats in Elgol, is a great guy, and right up for giving advice.
    I am making plans to rent a place for a year up there with my dog, to fish it and write a book or something.

It is just out of this world beautiful, and even the drive up there and back feels like a pleasure (unlike security in our airports and a cramped flight to a piss hole).

And, might have been lucky, I know, but still came back with a Caribbean tan, and I kid not.
    Just excellent.

Everybody should go even if just once, and even if you only intend a little bit of getting a hook wet. On the right day, there is honestly no where that compares.

I have been plenty of places and the girl I went with has travelled extensively in 66 countries!!

10. Baramundi Bob

Hi Lipslicker, Imreally pleased you have enjoyed your time on this wonderful Island and I thank you for taking the time to pm me some info. Sadly we wernt able to use it as there was just so many fishing options on our radar.

A week on such an amaqzing Island just isnt enough. I cant think of anywhere in the world I have been that is more scenic and that includes Lake Garda, Como and the Northern coasts of Italy which were my favourite places. The only thing that will keep me from coming here more often is the midges which at times have been torture.

11. Baramundi Bob

12. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yes, I had the odd midge induced strop, flap and run for cover, but only in a few places. When bad, torture, but at least you do not suffer after, like with mozzies. Only whilst in a haze of the blighters, and only two evenings.
    Tried that Avon stuff and not sure it did anything?

13. Baramundi Bob

14. Baramundi Bob

15. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

They say every picture tell's a story,and what story's you'll one day tell your kid's grand kid's etc.it's been a a great journey for all of us yes even though we are not actually there it feel's like we'r part of it all with you,between you you have helped put skye on the map no doubt about that I for one have put it on my "must visit " list,so a massive well done to one n all for taking the time and effort to keep us all updated......brilliant stuff lad's really enjoying reading your report's :yes:......mick...... :cool:

16. cps

cps Rockling

I thught the same when we went to crinan skate fishing, I enjojed the last couple of hours drive more that catching the skate , that area around jura is fantastic midges aren't so fantastic though

17. Dav

Dav Rockling

Looks like the Buena vista Whitby bass club are having a superb fishing break . Some of them pics are absoloutly stunning glen Thanks for hopting out of fishing to bring back some great pics . Nice one

18. Baramundi Bob

shad video is now on the facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201419602874084&set=vb.211560138890758&type=2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whitby-Sea-Anglers/211560138890758

19. Davie l

Davie l Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

What if you dont have facebook?

20. Baramundi Bob

Click the link anyway, the page is open to non members.