1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing Marks Sea Fishing On the Isle Of Skye In Winter

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Glenn Kilpatrick, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

Submitted by email to whitbyseaanglers2@gmail.com

Dear Glenn,

I'm planning a trip to the isle of skye in February 2016. We have been to Skye many times. Summer fishing was great from Neist Point (lots of mackeral) with feathers and spinners as bait.

Do you have any experience on fishing from the shore in wintertime?

Possible fishing at neist point.
    We stay in a cottage at the sealoch in Dunvegan.

What fish around?
    What artificial bait to use?
    What to expect?
    How much weith on?

Please get back to me!

Thank you!

Tom (Belgium)

2. Glenn Kilpatrick

My personal response id Ive never fished there in Winter but Ive been told by people who have, that the pollack are there all year round and happy to take the usual artificials all year round too.

I know from looking at catch reports from other islands that the big skate there can be caught in shallow water 40ft, in mid winter, so perhaps thats something to think about too.

3. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

There are also good catches of cod from neist point following a good swell.

I would imagine there would be plenty of whitings from the shallower beaches aswel

• Like Like x 1
  4. Glenn Kilpatrick

Facebook reply from here.

Alan Godward
    - Tom, I fished at Staffin, Novemeber 2014, I parked up at Garrafad and walked around the cove over some rough Rocky ground, so sturdy boots are a must. Looking on Google maps close up it looks like a foot. My set-up was simlpy half ounce lead with jelly worm. A local postman said that is all that is needed at this Mark, he wasn't wrong. I caught two Pollack, which I saw both take the worm as the water is so clear. Both caught on the turn of the tide.