1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SEA FISHING IN NORWAY - Husoy (Norway) 4th-11th July 2009 - Cod, Haddock etc

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by Shadrap, Jul 14, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Arrived back saturday morning from a weeks fishing in Husoy where the weather and lack of GPS/Sounder for 4 days did their best to make things difficult for us.Husoy is located in the Oyfjorden on the Island of Senja. [​IMG].
    This was our digs for the week and although not very palacial looking from the outside,inside it had everything we needed including a useful drying room. [​IMG]
    And this was our boat(blue/silver aluminium ) [​IMG]
    We arrived about 6.30pm on 4th July in high spirits that were well and truly dampened by the wet weather and poor visibility and the fact that the host told us the GPS/Sounder unit on the boat was u/s but a spare was coming monday.The lads were keen to get fishing but due to the wind whistling down the fjord we were force to fish well inside and tucked in close to the shore.However we managed a coalie around the 7lb mark and a haddock so at least we didnt totally blank. [​IMG]
    Back at the palace I had to have a re-think on where to fish due to the weather and no GPS/Sounder so having looked at the chart decided we would fish tucked into the southside of the fjord.Day 2,3 and 4 were very similar with a fresh wind blowing into the fjord but we dashed to the far side and found a little shelter close in and started to take some reasonable fish in water no more than 100ft and sometimes a lot less [​IMG]
    Yours truly with a nice fish touching double figures,fish of this size were being regularly caught so things weren't too bad but we were itching to get to the better marks I had plotted. [​IMG]
    Next was a nice lively pussycat for my mate Wayne taking the scales down past 16lb(watch the thumb matey :hurt:) Just to show Rob hadn't come along just to admire the scenery he managed this after it followed his jellyworm fished on one of Mouldies "halibut special" leadheads to the surface (an amazing site to see) before turning and swimming back down.Quick thinking Rob dropped back down and the fish took on its way to the bottom taking line from the reel at a rate of knots as it sung in the wind.After several dives back to the bottom Rob brought the fish to the boat where it weighed over 16lb. [​IMG]
    Tuesday morning took me back to my time on the lifeboat when one of the guys spotted a red flare from a boat about 50m from going aground in about a 1.5m swell.A towing bridle and rope of sorts were rigged and we went to the vessel,as the tow was passed the guy (I think they were Croatians) asked in good English "what knot do I tie?" I was tempted to say a bimini loop but something along the lines of "any f**k**g knot as long as it doesn't come undone" came out.The size and weight of the boat made it difficult to get its head round into the sea but eventually she came round and we were heading away from the shore and with a bit more hard work we got it turned to run down the fjord towards Husoy.Well done again guys you did a good job keeping the ropes clear of the prop and engine cover when we were turning it.By the way we never did get the crate of beer the guy promised :laugh:[​IMG]
    After all the excitement we decided to moor up and have something to eat and maybe try later or do a bit of shore fishing but at about 5pm it was like Christmas the GPS/Sounder unit arrived so it was a quick hour afloat to familiarise ourselves then a bit of shore fishing catching coalies and codling.As we fished the wind was decreasing so we decided to head out to the mouth of the fjord for a try at one of the marks further out.The pictures tell the tale. . . [​IMG]
    First up was John with a fish that took the scales down around 23lb and his PB.
    Then it was Wayne (more jam than Hartleys) who was in . . . [​IMG]
    This fish fell to a coalie deadbait and rattled the scales down to well over 35lb another PB,we are sure its the fish I lost a few minutes earlier as it had a fresh tear mark in its lip.Well done mate you earned that one :vomit: .Then to rub salt into an already gaping wound Rob gets this fella that took the scales to nearly 21lb yet another PB [​IMG]
    I couldn't buy a fish,the dummy was well and truly out,rumour has it it broke a street light in Husoy about 5 miles away :baby: Next night it was agreed we would try a mark further off still but on the way out we noticed the sea was alive with coalies breaking surface "this is it " we thought,the big fish are underneath having a feeding frenzy.Not so we tried all depths,methods,in amongst the coalies around the edges and couldn't touch a fish so it was off to the next mark where we were taking double figure fish almost every drop for around an hour.I then persuaded the lads it was time for "the mark" so we steamed back in and over the side went my coalie deadbait,say no more . . .[​IMG]
    There is a god after all :pray: not a PB but I reckon it was well over 20lb and I wanted to get it back in as quickly as I could and it was a pleasure to see it swim off.The gods must have been smiling on us that night because as we were heading back in we noticed a lot of gull activity in one of the bays in the fjord.I knocked the boat out of gear and it drifted into the birds,with good visibility under water it was possible to see cod,haddock and coalies hammering into the baitfish at times no more than 6ft below the surface.This is something you have to see to believe it was like been in an aquarium at feeding time.The spinning rods were soon put to good use providing excellent sport. . .[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [left][left][/left][/left]​
    Here's a few more fishy shots [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    And a couple of when the weather was trying to spoil it [​IMG][​IMG]
    And a few for those of you who like your fishing to be scenic [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I will let you judge,good week/bad week?I thought Norway was all about catching big fish but to a man we all enjoyed our week and can't wait to get back.Anyone up for 2010 ?

2. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Husoy (Norway) 4th-11th July

excellent report mate, a truly great read
    love the pictures, looks like you had a brilliant time
    Im becomming convinced that noway secretly test growth hormones in their fjords...............look at the size of those coalfish, and if thats a scorpionfish hanging off a pirk in the bottom few pictures than its the biggest ive ever seen, :surprise:
    well done on what looks like an epic trip

3. Patterdale

Patterdale New Member

Fantastic Fishing and photos Shadrup

Well done.

I'd love to give over there a go

Cheers Doug

4. jerzy

jerzy New Member

you where always jammy when it come to fishing , jealous of the pictures, glad you all had a good time.. p.s hurry up and get your boat in the water so i can show you how its done .

5. bucko

bucko New Member

Nice work Andy. Some cracking fish.
    Out of interest what's farmed/kept in the pens in the first pic? salmon?

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Excellent report and pics Andy :cool: Looks like a beautiful place and the fishing is obviously fantastic, well done to you all.

7. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Fantastic stuff looks a fabulous week great photos as well.

8. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

what a fantastic week you all had ,and a bit of rescue sevice as well,the fishing look,s brilliant,and those lovely haddock,m m m m m :hungry: wouldn,t mind one of those in the oven,did you organise the trip yourself or was it a package deal,and do you take your own gear or do you hire it ,i would be up for some of that if i ever get the chance ,you had a good array of specie,s there and a nice ugly angler fish to end on ,well done again lads great story and well put together :cool: HARRY

9. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Yes Ian they were salmon and from what I understood from our host they were just finishing off for the season having harvested and vac packed the stuff.Almost all of the local fleet was laid up too and on vacation due to no cod quota left.Only a couple of smaller boats were working longlines for redfish.One thing the people in the fishery offices near where we were found amusing was that we put nearly all our fish back apart from a few that didn't make it.

10. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Brilliant report and pictures Shadrap, the fishing there looks amazing, with scenery to boot, well done lads

11. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Harry I booked through Din Tur but organised the flights myself,they sorted us with car hire as there are no transfers to Senja (there are a couple of locations on there) but you could probably hire one yourself a bit cheaper.As a ballpark figure it cost £650 each (excl fuel) for the week which included a 40 kilo luggage allowance,booked seats on the flight,car hire,boat and accommodation.I think it cost us £60 each for food/drink and we took our own tackle (All our 12 rods in 1 tube was £10 each way).If you want anymore info drop me a PM.

12. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

well done Andy, looks like you all had a fantastic time and some nice fish thrown in.

tightlines Mate

Dan

13. bigfat

bigfat New Member

very jealous,well done chaps

14. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Fantastic pictures...Looks like you had a terrific time and plenty of stunning looking fish...Love the picture of the bright red cod....

15. d.say

d.say Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

nice one andy ,shame you had to put specimans like that back -no descent chippies their to sell em to -did yer not get a fish supper yerself , have printed a few of the best photos off for you -see you at work if you are in this week.

16. GJW

GJW Rockling

What more can i say, what a fantastic report Andy, been looking forward to this report since you first left for Norway, i must say the scenery is something else and them fish.. :surprise: well who could possibly complain at them, and to spend a week in such lovelly surroundings and with good fishing with great company it has to be fishing heaven at its best... :yes: :cool:

Did you find us any good shore spots??? :wink: I could be tempted in 2010... :whistle:

17. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

what a holiday!!!!! sheer luxury......great photos....excellent read......now i am jealous as f##k :laugh: :laugh: lol

ps the photo with the fog bound mountain or island looks like something out of the land that time forget!!

18. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Wow ! Now that's good fishing.

I'm planning to head over there with the Kayak in the future. A few fish half the size of the ones you caught and I'll be happy.

Well done !

Neil.

19. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

How did I miss this post ? You certainly are a jet setter Andy. Looks like you all had a great time despite the fishfinder and weather problems. The fishing looks out of this world amte and I feel privelidged that you have shared your holiday snaps and stories with us - thankyou.

20. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Thanks for all the comments guys,all I can say it was a team effort and required quite a bit of homework before we travelled.I read many stories of groups going to Norway and coming back disappointed and was determined it wasn't going to happen to us.Never one to keep fishy secrets here's the mark where all our 20lb+ cod came from but keep it quiet :wink: :wink: Its followed by a couple of shots of the "midnight sun"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    HOMEWARD BOUND :sad: