1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sea Fishing At Sandsend Cliffs-Help & Advice Appreciated Please (now with pics)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by CAB78, Sep 15, 2013.

1. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Sea Fishing At Sandsend Cliffs - Help And Advice Appreciated Please

Fair point that mike, if u r happy/had no issues u can't fault it ::)
    Your rite i don't have any experience with akios reels,having been a penn fan for a number of years & also had /have the abu 6500's that have stood me in good stead.My comment about the poor build qlty is purely based on the experience of my pals,i know 2 lads who have the scora's & they r acomplished anglers & say they r not happy with them,due to the poor build.Same with the newer multis,only heard good reports bout them.never heard bout the cresta's tho m8,must be a better/more reliable model.
    Like i say we can only go by our experiences & that of other like minded anglers.regards bigsi.
    Ps sorry for any confusion :-[

2. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just a huge and sincere 'thank you' to all those guys who persuaded me that 60lb snoods were the way forward, as I realised during my fishing session yesterday that is definitely the way to play it.
    I have learnt so much from this site, and I really cannot thank the more experienced guys enough for info like that. You know who you are, starting with Baramundi Bob.
    Before that thread, I fished 37lb main, through 60lb shock to 30lb snoods, thinking that, if I got snagged, at least I would not lose main. This thread changed all that.
    I can see already that it is going to make the world of difference on my harder marks.
    Yesterday I went out for a long session, to put this knowledge into practise before the season got fully under way, and so treated it experimentally.
    Being calm and flat, I hit the Brigg and, with this info., hit the end (a place that sometimes seriously antagonises, even if it does usually have fish), and hit Burniston (not for cod, but to kill time, test the theory more and maybe grab an unlucky bass).
    Loaded 9000 with 66lb braid, 60lb shock, 50lb snoods (yes, still not the 60lb, but getting there) with 20lb rottons. From now, for heavy ground and short to medium cast spots, this will be my set up.
    What a difference, and what a fast learning process.
    And had a racking session in Crab Hole on midnight tide.
    Thank you.

3. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I'll second that Lipslicker - some great advice from this forum, not just in this topic but on others I've asked for help on too.
    Thanks again

4. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Brilliant!!

5. CAB78

Since the forecast was good and a relatively low tide today I decided upon a quick recce visit to the cliffs - a few pics below which may be helpful to others. If I have gotten any of the marks wrong, please let me know....

View of the ground over The Ranges
    [​IMG]

view over ground at The Ranges (Sewer Hole)
    [​IMG]

High Cliff
    [​IMG]

Southern End of The Rabbit Holes with ground in front
    [​IMG]

The Rabbit Holes

[​IMG]

The Rabbit Holes with ground in front
    [​IMG]

The Rabbit Holes with ground in front

[​IMG]

Ground in front of the southern end of The Top of the World

[​IMG]

The Top of the World looking north to Bernies Ledge

[​IMG]

The Top of the World looking north to the ground in front of Bernies Ledge

[​IMG]

The Top of the World looking south
    [​IMG]

Ground in front of The Top of the World
    [​IMG]

6. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Mate - that is brilliant!!! :)

A massive thanks for taking the trouble to do this recce and post the the low tide pics on the site for the benefit of all.

This is what everyone wants to see - Invaluable info on the ground that you are fishing into and might give others who have never fished at Sandsend cliffs the confidence to have a go this winter.

Top man!

BP

7. steven watt

steven watt seafishing more

thanks for the pics, me and jase was going to have a walk along next week might save my fuel cash now, as we only ever fished the rabbit hole, thanks steve

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/sandsend-cliffs

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11163.0

9. Baramundi Bob

Shows you how much sand has piled up round the sewer pipe this year.

[​IMG]

Normally looks like this

[​IMG]

10. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Sea Fishing At Sandsend Cliffs-Help & Advice Appreciated Please (now with pics)

Speaking of sand build up have you notived on the scar side of the east pier..... bloody beach forming ! Few time I been along and noticed holiday makers sunbathing ect

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

11. CAB78

I took a couple of panoramic shots also but these were too wide to upload / view. If anyone is interested send me a PM with your email address and I will send you them.

Since this is a new mark I'm learning I am going to print the photos off, put them in a file and add some info from the site to them regarding previous catch reports, tide states and wind etc, if I can get hold of any archive weather and tide info. I will add to them also from my visits / reports. Sort of making my own little guide, as mentioned on a previous thread, but minus the 35+ years experience some of you guys have. Got to start somewhere though ey...... :D

12. bobby

bobby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

1 major fact to take into consideration when cliff fishing is the wind!!!! any side wind or head wind then due to the amount of line out of the water you will be blown into a snag or your gear will be at the base of the cliff in seconds.

13. Baramundi Bob

Sound advice. Seems to be able to get away with a north west wind on the whitby facing cliffs such as rabbits and high cliff as it comes from over your shoulder.

14. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

These pictures are excellent and give me an idea for some 'stickies'.
    Can the forum collate all pictures on marks, and put together?
    That would help us all enormously.
    If you could, it would be awesome, and much, much appreciated.
    Cheers,