1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sea Fishing At Sandsend Cliffs-Help & Advice Appreciated Please (now with pics)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by CAB78, Sep 15, 2013.

1. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Re: Sea Fishing At Sandsend Cliffs - Help And Advice Appreciated Please

I have been thinking about a problem that has occurred with me when handballing a good fish up the cliffs its bad enough with mono but with braid it can be a nightmare if theres longish grass / low bushes or similar snags if you are on your own and cant get the line back onto the reel so it ends up round your feet or worse ,

I was thinking about clipping a sinker onto the loose line that has been pulled up , this would need to be done just after you have started lifting chuck the lead over the side of the cliff so that as you keep on lifting line the slack line goes down the cliff when the fish is landed , reel the line up then unclip the sinker , I hope you haven't nodded off at this point , but I think it will have a sporting chance of working , the more sheer the cliff the better of course ----- OR is it another of my mad cap ideas ?

2. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Good and dare I say old Alan...always thinking.

3. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

Not a mad idea at all Alan in fact it is something that has me thinking a lot and makes a lot of sense esp with braid.
    A problem that has me a little stumped if anyone fancies curing me of is understanding the way wind and pressure effects the tide.
    I went to fish a mark the other eve which should of been about perfect except for swell to find no water in the gulley which resulted in a change of attack but still resulted in fish so not a total disaster.
    To those who have the knowledge in what way does wind direction/pressure effect the amount the tide floods/ebbs??

4. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

high pressure pushes down on the sea so it will ebb quickly and flood slowly, any wind off the sea will push more water towards land increasing flood and slowing ebb, quite logical when you think about it, i notice it when fishing on the boat too

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

If theres 2 of you, One kneels on the rod and the other walks backwards with the line in hand, fish comes straight up and then line is wound back on reel.

6. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

Cheers rich
    i understand that logic but I think i should of worded it better.
    is there a way to know how much effect the wind and pressure will have on the sea height or is it an experience thing. I realise the easy answer will be more wind or more pressure equals more effect. Is there a way of calculating the effects or is it a"experience guage" by that I mean a 30 mph W wind will effect the ebb by x and the flood by x in a high pressure weather situation and by y and y in a low pressure.

7. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

High pressure best for ebbs. Not sure about other areas but I,ve found that a good SE wind coupled with high pressure or a dying NW, again with high pressure produce the best ebbs. For flood a westerly or easterly if there's a sea on.
    As a rule of thumb, the winds that give the best ebbs usually produce the poorest floods, and vice-versa.
    All that said, there are other factors involved and you never really know, for sure, despite what is written in the tide book, what you're going to get.

8. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

But if you are on your own ?

9. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

rotten bottoms for me as i imagine are for most is weaker link to the lead so that is what you loose and not the hooklink which could mean the loss of a fish of a lifetime,i know what i would rarther loose.
    you can always put another lead on but you might wait years for that lump of a fish.

frank.

10. robq

robq Rockling

I rest the rod butt on the clifftop or rodrest and use my glove on my non reel hand to pull/feed the line onto the reel so really just winding up the slack with my reel hand. I am usually on braid and fixed spool or alvey and it works ok for fish over 5lb that put a lot of strain on a reels gears.

Regarding hook snoods its 60lb minimum for me on rock or cliff. My main outfit is 50lb braid mainline, 100lb braid leader with a 5ft length of 60lb mono to my 3ft rig. I rarely lose a leader when fishing evn boulder /Kelp. It usually goes somewhere on the rig or straightens the hook out.

Years ago I used to tie rigs with lighter hooklengths based on the same theories as others, but it cost me a few good fish before I upped it. My worries about losing loads of mainline were totally unfounded !

As Glenn says, that will only happen if the line has been damaged, so knackered anyway

11. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

The main advantage with braid is the strength whilst having a low diameter, that maintains the abilty for fishing at range, strong/thick mono is ok if your fishing short or scaur fishing, and you will be able to pull out of most snags, however if you want to fish at range with mono you have to go lighter, this in turn will cause leader and line losses, this is the risk versus reward situation, I won't go fishing without 2 spools of spare line (1000m+) and 4 or 5 spooled reels, don't be put off fishing with .40mm mono if needs must, I fish with this diameter in some rough ground (Staintondale/Burniston) - my rigs don't change on any mark 80/60 but I may change on hook choice

12. Baramundi Bob

Perfectly put.

13. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to comment and help me and others out, it's appreciated.

Seems more people prefer to use a fixed spool off the cliff tops - is this the norm? If so, which type? I always thought the Penn 535 was a canny option also and not badly priced?

14. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

I can't help you on f/s choice, however there are quite a few threads on here about them, one quite recentley as I recall, make sure you research because there are plenty of useless ones out there

The 535 is a great cliff reel, you could also try the saltist 30 or 40 models, the latter very good whinching reel

15. Baramundi Bob

Never thought I would be in a minority with a multiplier. Now I know how Dave Medd feels.

16. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

Many thanks for the information ray i am sure it will help in my choices to fish in future ????

17. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

as far as fixed spool reels go the penn battle takes some beating its an awesome winching machine, never heard a bad thing said about it other than it has no back wind.

18. Baramundi Bob

I would second that, the only slight neg Ive heard is it wont cast as far as some because it hasnt got a tapered spool. But then I remember that Lawsey bought a Reel then other week with a tapered spool that would cast well but he said it would never wind a fish in. So the Battle seems to be the one. Bit less distance but amazing cranking power.

19. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

People use fxd spools because they r using braid,braid on a multi beds in and basically u run the risk of snapping off with birdnests.some people use braid on the multis but most opt to use a fxd spool.The retreive is also very good on the fxd spools/no need to thumb like on a multi,just wind & keep winding(gr8 cranking too).Regards fxd spool the penn battles r hardcore as r the shimino 10000's.Keep away from the new akios fxd spools tho,like a kids toy :'(built poorly/cheaply.The penn 535's,diawa saltist's,sloshe's r all reliable reels & can be used with confidence,very pop multis for fishing the ruff stuff.
    Hope this info is of sum help,cheers bigsi.

20. mick48

mick48 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

bigsi I read not so long ago you said you had no experience with an akios reels I have the cresta ak 100 it it used by a lot of people that fish in Norway. the cresta is a more stronger then the scora its a great reel for cliffs and even boat fishing it has a gear ratio of 4;1;1; and a 30kg max drag I have had no problems at all with it its a stronger reel then a lot. your quote September 14th .I personally don't know the akios reels but i know plenty of people rave about e'm & never heard anything bad about the newer versions.