1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sea Fishing At Sandsend Cliffs-Help & Advice Appreciated Please (now with pics)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by CAB78, Sep 15, 2013.

1. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Re: Sea Fishing At Sandsend Cliffs - Help And Advice Appreciated Please

As Glenn says don't skimp on your snood, 50/60 or even higher depending on where your fishing, you can have the best rod/reel/line/waders/baitflask etc etc in the world but your snood is right at the business end taking all that the North Sea can throw at it - keep it simple

2. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Which is why I suggested 50 t0 80 hook lengths and not just for cliff marks. Like Glenn said your snood takes a hell of a battering at times and if your lifting a good fish up them cliffs or even dragging it through the kelp from below,you want it as strong as you can get away with. But each to their own I guess??

3. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks again for the great info everyone and I can see both sides to the coin regarding snood strength. However, as said above, it is this which is going to take the brunt of abrasion etc. I dont mind loosing the rig at all but wouldnt fancy loosing nearly a spool of mainline, are you saying the weak link (apart from rotten bottom) would be the knot between mainline and rig body and not main line?

Am I right in thinking the following is recommended then...

Min 40lb mainline straight through (no shock leader?)
    60lb rig body
    40-60lb snood
    Rotten bottom link (say 15-20lb?)

4. ste muir

ste muir New Member

That's pretty much my standard set up for all my rock fishing the exception being I use 100 lb rig body. And don't forget strong hooks.This might open up another debate but I prefer strong rigid hooks such as mustad Vikings as opposed to the more bendy hooks.

5. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yes, it is not the money on swivels etc., it is the faffing about.
    Can totally understand 60lb snoods used with 100lb braid.
    Mind you, as I say, even then I would worry how the hell I would break out if snagged. I recall being on Ben Storey's on Filey and seriously struggling just to snap off my 30lb when hooked in kelp. In fact, been in a few situations when not easy.
    Now that I am using 66lb braid for kelp marks I will stretch to 40lb though.
    All interesting stuff.

6. lipslicker

What is the point of a 60lb rig body if not using a shock leader?

7. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Quite simple, more abrasive resistant, the rig body is whats getting dragged through the scaurs.

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I would say the chances of loosing a full spool of line are once or twice in a lifetime. Usually it breaks at the knot where you attach your rig as the knot is always the weakest link. If it snaps higher up the mainline that tells you you had a fault in your line, its been round rocks or something else and was ready to be changed anyhow. If it snaps well above the knot I would also check the eyes on your rod to see if any are chipped as you shouldnt be snapping line away from the knot.

9. Baramundi Bob

Plain and simple - Abrasion. Its in contact with the bottom that means rocks, limpets, crustaceans, barnacles and lots of sharp things. Try 30lb for a couple of casts and see how long it lasts and then you will have your answer. The main line above your rig body is not subjected to the same degree of abuse as the rig body and the snood.

10. lipslicker

Great thread. Great info..
    Plenty of food for my thought at least.
    Cheers to all.

11. Baramundi Bob

It is indeed, theres a lot of good info here from some very knowledgeable people.

12. lipslicker

I know some guys use FS with 100lb braid straight through to rigs.
    Do you guys never have problems snapping out when using 60lb plus, like when on rock ledges, or confined space, when you cannot march back with full body weight?
    Or do you only use such snood strengths with, say, 30-40lb main lines?
    Cheers to all replies.

13. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

you dont need to move far to snap out with braid due to the zero stretch, so no Ive never had a problem. As Glenn says, 99 times out of 100 it will snap at the join with the rig, and i use 60lb braid with 70lb rig

its a nightmare snapping out in confined spaces with mono, one of the many reasons i love braid

14. Baramundi Bob

I always feel I have more chance of easing out a snagged fish with Mono, the stretch seems to keep the tension on the fish. Just personal preference/observation.

15. lipslicker

Good point.
    Though 60lb's is still some force. Think I will have to eat a few pies!
    :)

16. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

yeah I think you are probably right there Glenn, that tension will be held on for all the time you are pulling which with mono will be a lot longer time than with braid, thus I assume more chance of the pressure easing the fish out

17. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Do you have many problems with braid, such as it binding in when winching fish up, casting issues? I was thinking of keeping it on my 7500 but was bit wary, especially with level wind on. Not sure what distances you guys fish at either?

Thanks again everyone, its a useful thread this and gave me some great pointers.

18. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I use a fixed spool mate so don't have any issues like that. I think you are more likely to have issues on a multi, and especially with a level wind as it winds on in a standard even way. the lads that do use braid on a multi use them without level winds, and when reeling in they move the line across the spool quite quickly so it is angled on the spool more if you know what I mean? that helps prevent it bedding in. hope that helps

19. BlackSheep

BlackSheep Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Don't suppose one of you guys could post a pic of your simple rigs could you?

Assuming they're simple and not clipped up, do you have any problems with tangling during casting? Or does the heavy mono stop that???

...just curious...

20. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Some good tips/pointers flying around 4 u cab78,u need a strong snood coz that & your hook is the main pce of terminal tackle that has got the fish on the end lol.Your hook would open up anyway allowing u to salvage your gear,the hook would give be 4 a 60lb snood would part imo.Like bob says it's your snood that takes the strain from the underwater kelp/snags resulting in abrasion probs.I use black 50lb amnesia 4 my snoods,now this gear is hardcore & it knots superbly.A strong reliable mono in 35lb/40lb straight thru,if it's stupidly ruff,use the the simpelist rig u can get away with,it's no venue 4 xmas tree rigs up there.Distance like anywhere depends on the venue(recce on big tides,suss out the features).when u get that pig wiv fins on
    don't stop winding till your wrestling wiv it on dry land !!.Good luck,bigsi ;D