1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sea Fishing At Sandsend Cliffs-Help & Advice Appreciated Please (now with pics)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by CAB78, Sep 15, 2013.

1. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I'm hoping to fish the cliffs at Sandsend for the first time this season. I'm not local to this area but have done a fair bit of research on the forum and got some good info already.

I just thought I'd run a few things past the local boys first before I venture out, if ok. The plan is to have a good daylight recce first to familiarise myself also.

Right then, kit list.....

1.Rod - beefy rod, zziplex full tournament

2. Reel - (not sure). Got a 525 mag2 with 18lb spooled and my trusty old Abu 7500C with 60lb braid on for boat. I think I'm going to go with the Abu 7500C and respool with 35lb mono?. Only thing wasn't sure about was the level wind and restricting casting, but I'm guessing no need to whack a lead out here and empty the spool?

3. Rigs - pennel pulley. a rotten bottom as standard? Was thinking of trying top of the world. Also, what breaking strain snood would you recommend?

4. Leads - 5oz or 6oz grippers

5. Gear - tripod, rucksack and headlamp with spare batterys ;D

6. Parking - does everyone park in the main car park and walk up the steps. Is it safe to park there during night. (I've had more things pinched off my Hilux than you can imagine!).

7. Bait - right then.... Frozen peeler (struggling to get live at mo), fresh lug and rag... White worm worth a chuck?

Any advice or guidance on any of the above would be great or if you think I've missed anything.

Thanks again in advance, it's appreciated
    Col

Ps nearly hitting the 50 comments mark so think there's more info on the site too ;)

2. Jmeddy

Jmeddy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Sandsend Virgin

Nice article on sands end cliffs on this site . I would up your 18lb line to at least 30 mate.

3. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Got the right idea have a good few hours in the day get used to what's around each of the marks off the cliffs. Have a look on a low then you have an idea what yours fishing onto.
    Want a decent snood if you get a good fish on you need to handball it up. And as for the car park I never had any issues parking there.
    Bait sounds ok but early season could be worth trying mackerel worked in the past.

4. fishface1

fishface1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

spare headlamp mate

5. CAB78

Thanks for the info everyone

Just another daft question....do you think it would be ok to keep the 60lb braid (Whiplash) on the 7500 and use that? Didn't know if the braid would bed in too much, especially when bringing fish up the side. Line laying would be ok with the level wind on but didnt know if this would affect casting too much? Anyone fished like this before?

Thanks again

6. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Spare underpants in case you get too close to the edge.

7. CAB78

:D ha ha you're not wrong, I'll most likely be sh!tting myself especially on my own

8. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Re: Sandsend Cliffs

No need to crap yourself mate , youre safer up there than quite a few places at sea level , with falling debris, cut of points , rogue waves , green
    slimy rocks , climb downs and ups , holes in the rocky beach to step into its a long list , when you are off the tops you have one important thing to consider , if you treat the situation with the respect it deserves you wont have a problem , I have fished off tops for 48 years and never had an
    awkward moment , I would say 30 lb mono would be the absolute minimum 40 lb would be a good starting point , we very often use 50 lb if you
    are handballing a good fish up you would be glad of the heavier line , as regards braid on a multiplier if you use a wider weave on your line when you are reeling in you shouldn't have any problems

9. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Got to echo big cliff,he knows the script that boy does(don't know him pers but apparently the guys a living legend !!)seriously tho,respect your surroundings & you will be fine.would'nt use braid on the multi,2much room 4 error,wind knots/tangles,bedding in issues.35lb/40lb straight thru & strong snoods/hooks(them 5lbers take sum pulling up :eek:.
    Stay safe & good luck :)

10. CAB78

Thanks again for the info, much appreciated - was hoping Big Cliff would spot this post and comment ;D
    Was umming and arring about the braid, last thing you want is a nightmare when you're up there and have only used it on the boat before.

What sort of distance do you generally fish at - short lob or full bifter chuck or suck it and see? (Suppose depends on the mark and i will see from a low water recce)

What strength snood would you recommend - 35lb?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again

11. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Re: Sea Fishing At Sandsend Cliffs - Help And Advice Appreciated Please

Beef up your snood mate to 50 to 80

12. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

you need a heavier snood strength, i use 60lb for my hook lengths. for the cliffs keep it simple, i tie a hook length with a loop in the end and a length for my weight with a loop in the end, and just clip em on, that way you can bait another hook ready for winding in and just swap em, it increases your water time giving you more chance of catching

13. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

To be honest, not sure that 50-80lb snood is the best suggestion, unless you are using braid with higher BS.
    As a rule, I ensure my snoods are weaker than my main line. That way, if you get snagged you are not loosing line, shock leader and whole rigs.
    After all, that is the reason we use 'rotton bottoms', isn't it.
    I would not use 60lb snoods unless using 100lb braid main line. Even then, I would be concerned how I would break myself out if I snagged, without a cart horse!
    :)

14. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I would go very heavy on the snood. To go lighter than the mainline is a bad decision. You've got a fish with teeth (feel the cuts on your hand when you try unhook them) spinning round on the line if its deeply hooked. Your pulling it through kelp, over ledges, over rocks covered in barnicles and limpets. The line that takes all the hammer is the snood and I've seen too many good fish lost through people trying to cut tackle and line loss. I would go sixty pound on snoods for local cod fishing. Also fish a decent rotten bottom. Ninety percent of the time you will always snap at the knot if snagged. I've also snapped the snood many times even at sixty pounds. I attribute this to abrasion and low stretch of such a short piece of line. If your using mono for mainline use a Bimini twist to a strong leader and you'll hardly ever loose gear.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk 2

15. lipslicker

16. lipslicker

What about a slightly weaker link in your snood, say a few inches of 30lb at the swivel, bimini twisted to 60lb plus at hook end?

17. lipslicker

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/pulley-rig

This is essentially my set up, though I incorporate a rotton bottom 's', which works as bait clip too.

18. Baramundi Bob

Why ?

19. lipslicker

Yes, bit of a hassle, i know, but would offer protection against teeth and barnacles that you wish, whilst also ensuring you don't lose whole rig to mainline if snagged proper. Essentially a rotton bottom snood.
    I know if I used a 60lb plus snood I would spend my whole evening larking about making shock leaders, etc..
    I am pretty sure I would properly struggle to break a 60lb plus if snagged.

20. Baramundi Bob

More knots more swivels equals more things to go wrong. Im not understanding of your fear of loosing a rig if you get snagged. Its a few pennies. Keep it simple and keep it strong.

How would you feel with a fish of a lifetime hooked up and then it goes slack, to then reel in and find your week snood line snapped or your extra knots parted all because you feared loosing a lead or a hook or a few feet of mainline.

Ive seen it happen to a few anglers, and only after they did it did they change their ways.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to even think that way. Youll be stood on the rocks in tears, but youll be 50p better off.