1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sea Fishing At Saltwick Bay

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by MandolinBanjo, Sep 30, 2013.

1. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

What a bloody great place to spend some time fishing, thanks to baramumundi bob for putting this place on my radar, many thanks again:). I had a couple of short sessions over last weekend with little to show for it but it was both exciting at times and thought provoking too. The tide was awful when I looked at the tide charts but I really fancied getting out and having a go since we were staying in robin hoods bay for a couple of nights. Fishing off the rocks to the left of the beach was pretty snaggy but looked like fishy :). Am I right in thinking that a long way out to the left would be the furthest point of the north batts? It was barely uncovered due to a low tide of about 2.5 but I could see waves breaking, cracking sun set!
    The far left which I imagine is saltwick nab looked like a place I'd like to try on my next trip, it seemed that you could easily spend a day moving around the bay at various stages of tide. On the right hand side of the beach I fished from just before high to an hour and half after, I had a rockling and 3 hook ups after good bites but got snagged on the way in, by the time I'd unsnagged the fish had gone. I need to check the right hand side out on a lower tide, it certainly seemed to be where the fish were on this occasion. All in all not much to write about regarding catches but the two short trips really got me thinking and I can't wait for the next opportunity to get back out there and experiment a little more. Thanks again for the info barramundi bob :)

2. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Saltwick bay

Yeah to left side is north batts and its a good spot off end of the nab few loverly lil spots all the way around further along back to whitby u got rail hole and createrblock spent many a hour ad a kid fishing in and around them holes strangely it was glenn (Baramundi Bob) and a few other blokes who showed me and a few other young lads how to get along ......

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

3. MandolinBanjo

The nab looked ace actually pretty much sea stacks on both edges of the bay, great at sunset. Is it easy enough to walk along the nab from the cliffs to the left out onto the end point? It looked really smooth so wasn't sure you could get up on it. The extent of fishing marks along the Whitby coastline is nothing short of incredible. You could easily spend a lifetime learning to fish there:)

4. MandolinBanjo

Thanks for the info, the OS maps have never seemed so interesting:)

5. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

Saltwick is one of my favourite places ;)

Unfortunately, as I get older - and I'm 55 tomorrow (good grief - where's my life gone!) I find it harder to climb the steps back up to the top. I can still do it but it's hard work now!
    It's still a magical place and even though I've not had any catches to brag about I love the place - you can find somewhere to fish at any state of the tide and it's unusual to find more than another angler or two there.

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Many Have ;D

It would be hard to help you much further unless you had very specific questions.

I can think of literally dozens of marks within that very small area. saltwick beach is good on occasions on both flood and ebb tides.

The sides of the hole is nice when you can get there and under varying conditions.

The batts to both sides are nice. South Batts is probably best of the 2 in daylight due to being heavier kelpy ground, but North batts also comes good in the dark or when water is very coloured.

Not far from there is king rock which is the only place on the coast i know where you cast towards the cliffs.

Youve got saltwick nab which can be amazing and youve got all those marks Perry mentions along to rail hole and Crete block. By and large the area is great up till christmas, especially the clearer scar areas.

Just pick a single mark and fish it inside out. Watch, follow, observe and learn from others and shout up with specific questions. Then one day if you get to know the area, dont do what so many others do and claim it as their own and curse anyone like me who shares the knowledge.

7. Baramundi Bob

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/fishing-at-saltwick-bay

8. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Top advice baramundi,sounds like dwn here on the holderness coast,where top anglers/experienced anglers have taken noddies/beginners under their wings & have shared tips & a wealth of knowledge only for the noddy to start to tell them wot to do they've only been fishing 5 mins u no the type don't u,anyways keep up the good work.
    Regards bigsi ;)

9. MandolinBanjo

Blinding info, thanks again. One thing that I have been thinking was how come you decided on mentioning this place to me when I asked for a suggestion? Was it due to particular conditions? Or maybe the less obvious tide to fish on?

10. MandolinBanjo

There are a few steps :) I don't have to be carrying much to find walking back up from the beach at robin hoods bay overwhelming:)

11. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Steps keep you fit, I am 61 in 22 days, but always try my best to keep the old legs and ticker going, ladders, cliff tops, rock marks, just feel I have got to try them all. Plus I still carry far too much gear,but am trying to cut it down a bit,just so I can walk the extra half mile.
    15 stone and 6ft, but still try to get along, I know one day it will seem too much. Got to keep It up though, until one day I will be limited to fishing out the boot of the car or off Piers .

I suppose it helps living in a house with 39 steep steps between the kitchen and the bedroom, like living on a hill really, tried selling it, but nobody wants it !

I wonder why . ???

Roger.

12. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Saltwick spent many many hours fishing down there from 13 years old had some tremdous catches down there myself and also i have seen other people get big fish down there my best was an 18lb and 20 lb cod in the 70ss plus numerous doubles over the years fantastic ground with thick kelp scaurs and even sand in places a haven for the cod fishermen and it is a fairly easy spot to get to (dont tell wacka i told you so). :-X

paul.

13. Baramundi Bob

Lol, yeah I know the type alright. Surrounded by the feckers.

14. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Does the beach at Saltwick Bay fish OK in a heavy easterly/south easterly, casting into the gulley?
    Never fished that spot, and feel like I have got a list as long as my arm of places to try that way, but good to know options for changing prevailings.
    So many marks, so short a life.

15. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

Thanks Roger - you've brightened my day!
    I don't want to be "too old" to do anything but sometimes it just gets to me - especially following a fit young Gamekeeper like Slug up that hill at Saltwick. He's at the top while I'm having a breather half way ;)

16. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The trick is to not take everything but the kitchen sink, as I used to do.
    Despite being only 42 and fairly trim, though could be fitter, some of those climbs back were proper lung busting.
    Highlight of my fishing life was discovering the new headlights, after traipsing up verticals with miners lamps, etc..
    Now I literally just take my rod, bait, rigs and some shock. And my leads I carry in one of those 'fanny packs' on my belt. Sometimes I even leave spare reel in my car.
    Being prepared for absolutely every eventuality was weighed up against mobility and pleasure, and lost.

17. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

18. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Allways fish the nearest to the rocks on the beach on southesterly and the far end on northwesterly never bothered much chucking between the stones but it does throw fish out but you often get weed and muck swilling in and out of there one thing to rememebr when fishing that beach dont leave it to soon and go onto the boulders and cast in gulley when it starts to white out big mistake the fish are still there coming off the scaurs on the right hand side plus you still have good movement when it can get a little to calm in gulley cod love white water .

paul.

19. Groyne

Groyne Guest

You're only a Bairn, admittedly I'm only a couple of years older, but as others have said, take it steady and only take what you need and you'll be good for another few years yet. :)

I remember them bulldozing the path down Saltwick in the sixties, but we (kids) used to still take the direct route, straight down the cliff, I wish I still could.

Remember, use it or lose it.

20. Baramundi Bob

Sometimes the opposite can be true Paul. When its extremely heavy on south east, fishing the far end of the beach can give shelter and the fish seem to go for the calmer area. Obviously I don't need to yell you that as I learnt most of what I know from you. When its very heavy try find the shelter and when its a light swell try find try find the rougher area.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk 2