1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sea Angling Lines - Another Braid v Mono Thread !!!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by robq, Sep 18, 2013.

1. robq

robq Rockling

I know this topic has been discussed many times ! HOWEVER :)

more and more anglers are trying it and bulding experience so I feel its worth a revisit and debate and give it its own thread rather thaan hijack the sandsend cliff thread.

I firmly believe that there is a place for mono and braid in everyones approach for different situations.

I only use mono in very rough, weedy seas or white water shallow scar fishing ( talking purely rock, cliff here not beach )

I like braid for tide, distance and cliff fishing for most of the known advantages such as thinnner stonger line that allows longer casts and less resistance to tide and wind.

What I really like though is the direct feel I have when I get a fish on, with mono its easy to wind a fish deep into kelp to the point it wont ever come out whereas with braid you can stop winding sooner and feel when the fish is swimming out.

I just wonder what other lads opinions are about situations where 1 approach will offer an advantage over the other, espeially when it comes to getting fish out :)

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: another braid v mono thread !

I would like to use both. I think My winter shore fishing may suffer if I go totally braid because all Ive ive known is how to fish mono and Ive learnt where to cast etc etc using that method.

But when we have been going to Scotland Ive been seeing the advantages of braid and a bit more distance.

I would like to use both but dont know if its a wise move for me.

3. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Re: another braid v mono thread !

Think I've talked about this with you Rob, I'm totally opposite, braid to me is so harsh I've no idea when a fish becomes fast, however with mono I feel it quite quickly and know when to ease off, I don't really know what I do to get a fish moving but it's probably a combination of slight pressure and a bit od rod knodding, but I always feel in control with mono

You are correct with cliff fishing with braid, but for me only one, Brail, as other cliffs I fish I can get enough mono on for the distance, Brail is just at that hieght where I need thinner line

Anyway as ever each to their own, golden rule always keep an open mind, and don't judge unless you have the experience as we all have different preferences etc

4. robq

robq Rockling

Absolutely Iain :) we all have different findings and feelings about braid.

Its just nice to see how others are getting on with it.

I like the rapid retrieve of the fixed spool too and not having to worry about line lay while skipping down the rocks trying to keep pressure on a fish ;D then crack off next cast because of an untidy lumped line lay while rushing to get back into the shoal !

I must say my experiences of mono with fish on are different to yours, a gradual increaase in pressure that I think is the fish riving an coming through weed, followed by it all going solid :( I rarely get them moving in that situation, whereas braid I usually do as I stop winding before that point

Maybe its my approach and retrieve? I have often been told I am too heaavy handed and bully fish too much :-\

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

My slant on the braid v mono is again some situations scream out braid, such as tops of high cliffs so you have a direct indication and also places with limited room to back up to bust off your lead.

We ve talked about this over and over, and having had the pleasure to fish alongside you mate for a good few years now and watching our results along the way, the main thing I've noticed is that I've not seen us catch anymore fish over the majority of marks by using braid, but on some it really makes a difference. I think quality of bait as opposed to line used has made the biggest difference ! I really do believe that both of us would have had more fish in the bag at times by not using braid.

I don t like the fast retrieve of a fixed spool, in some situations. For example one turn of the handle retrieves a lot of line, so yes you feel when you hit a snag, but in the main there is no mercy, because by the time you feel that snag, it is way to late. Where as the slower retrieve of the multi and mono means you can tease fish through snags. Remember you watching me carefully tease two plump fish through the kelp at Thornwick before I went to braid ?

So for me in general braid has meant that your rod tip is busy on braid but the fish bag hasn't had anymore fish in it. As I ve said braid for me for te reasons given but I m going back to mono for most of my fishing , mainly because I find braid an expensive , often difficult to manage way of fishing and I prefer to fish low reel multiplier.

I know from experiments that I can hit bigger distances with a palm sized multiplier tan I can fixed spool, but that is just my experiences.

So I suppose I feel that a lot of the experimenting with braid has cost us fish as well as a lot of money !
    But I ll keep the braid outfit available for when I feel it suits my chosen fishing situation

6. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Comes down to the situation and location for me. I must admit, the buzz of playing a fish on braid it's great you feel everything.

If they made a fixed spool reel with the same cracking power as a multi and a coned spool with good line lay I'd have one setup

7. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

im a very recent convert to braid and fixed spool and has made a massive improvement when fishing heavy ground

braid

for instance when I get a bite I strike and the distance I move the tip is the distance my lead moves
    so this gives me multiple strikes at a fish if I miss the first time whithout a retreave which is very hard to do with mono

also me lead losses have been halved on the same reason when retrieving,a good pull on the rod lifts the lead directly of the bottom
    and then a quick few turns of the reel and shes up and away

bite detection is second to none

also good distance casting in tight akward spots spots

great of cliffs too
    mono

I carry a penn 525 mag (the original one)
    and is loaded with 18lb line and 70lb leader,ithis comes out when fishing mixed and not to heavy ground
    and when I need to pendulum with plenty of room and smash a lead out as far as I can like at black hole end of the brig

ive not tried braid in strong seas and would think its a struggle so got a slosh 30 with 35lb line on just incase

so those are my 3 reels I tend to take with me if not sure where im gunna end up

but I am a massive convert to braid and this will be my main setup from now on
    also I use a 70lb leader with braid and had no issues at all with this set up ;D
    I check the leader every other cast to check for fray and change it when needed 8)

8. robq

robq Rockling

Some good points Dave 8) our whole fishing skills have improved a lot over the last 6 years or so definitely :) its often difficult to determine which successes were down to what though especially with the crap numbers of fish around !

Braid has often been an expensive way of fishing in the past at ::) especially at £20 + for a 300 yd spool fill :eek: that can be trashed in an instance !

However the 1000yd chinese spools at the same price offer 4 spool fills for less than a a fiver each ! thats a lot cheaper than daiwa sensor ;)

I know you have had an in out of love with braid compared to me, it will b interesting to see how certain situations go this season with braid v mono 1 on 1 :)

9. Baramundi Bob

So how do you find the Chinese braid ?? Ok ??

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Inconsistent is the best way I can sum the mass of Chinese braids available. Find one that is good and if you can get a good supply. I ve had some that are on par with power pro and others fit only for tying up your raspberry canes ! ;)

11. Baramundi Bob

So false economy then unless you get a good one and you can get the same everytime.

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Exactly mate, be an interesting year. :) The one thing I can say with absolute certainty is if I had to use just one outfit for my rock fishing it would be a mono loaded reel, probably a 535, so I could fish cliffs to scars.

13. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Yes Glenn......I found one called Maxx POWER PRO , but the supplier no long on ebay, that was great stuff. Then a few Spectra braids that were rubbish. I m using one now on my fixed spool outfit that is really nice so I ve got 2000m to keep me going.....when I use it that is ;)

14. robq

robq Rockling

It depends on the seller Glenn, some are good some bad.

The spectra stuff is ok I have found

I think uk buyers need to downgrade the breaking strain though as the Chinese stuff is thicker then the mainbrands.

40lb for shore and 50lb for bemmo is fine

15. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Best braid on the market IMO is power pro.

Whiplash isn't worth looking at giving false breaking strains

16. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

17. Baramundi Bob

Who can afford to use power pro over rocks in Winter ? Id have to sell my butt to afford that.

18. robq

robq Rockling

I have had some power pro on my 10000 spools for over 2 season's :eek: so if you are careful where and how you use it, its not too expenxive !

However 1 bad session can soon wipe that out

19. Baramundi Bob

lol, dont speak too soon Rob. Touch wood and all that.

20. robq

robq Rockling

I will touch Daves head on Sunday morning before we kick off LOL !!