1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sea Angling In South West Scotland - Another lovely Mull trip (Bass and Pollack)

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by GJW, Jul 30, 2011.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Read about Mull Of Galloway Sea Angling Here.
    Read All The Forum Topics On The Mull Of Galloway Here.
    Read About Sea Fishing In Scotland Here

[​IMG]

Well back from another trip to the Mull of Galloway. Had a great time fishing for mostly bass as the winds and tides were not great for our usual pollack fishing spots but all in all a very enjoyable time was had and we even managed to find a few fish too...

We decided to start by fishing baits (Peeler crab and Lugworm) on two hook rigs ans managed to locate the bass mostly school bass with the odd better fish to around 4lb..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We decided to change tactics and try the lures to see if we could tempt some bigger bass.

We explored some new likely looking bass spots and got some good results.

I was well pleased when this 5lb+ bass took my lure.

[​IMG]

Andy soon followed losing two good fish then landing this lovely 6lb 14oz bass

[​IMG]

A new PB. Well done Andy.... :yes: :cool:

Fishing was steady with bass falling to the lures with the odd better fish amongst them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are not big fish eaters so returned all but two of the bass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lee seemed to find the better fish once again landing fish of 5lb 13oz and 6lb after dark on lure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We couldn't go to the Mull without having a go for the Pollack so when the wind dropped we took a chance on the Pollack marks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We caught plenty of pollack with Lee getting the best at 5lb.

All in all a cracking trip with a great bunch of lads, not a great deal of pictures because its difficult trying to fish and take pictures of others fish especially when bassing when you can be 100yrds or so apart. But tried my best to capture most of the action.

Back up in a few weeks on the bigger tides so hoping the weather is kind and give us more time to fish the Pollack marks and hopefully a bit more bassing..

Think Big Cliff has a few more pic's and some video clips to post.

Tightlines

Gary

2. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Another lovely Mull trip (Bass and Pollack)

Hello Gary,
    first of all well done lads there's some nice fish there for you all. Another great report Gary and great photos as usual. I am hoping to get over there with my tent for the weekend but I should have been there by now. This year is just flying bye........fingers crossed I will get over before the end of august.
    Thanks again for posting the report :yes:

Regards Ian

3. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Once more a great report Gary , top class pics some lovelly weather [ I know the wind was a pain in the arse on the first three days ]
    but all in all it made us look at things differently and some really good fish were taken , congratulations to Andy on his PB Bass a cracking fish , well done Martin on his double shot of Bass , he takes after his old fella [ Its on exclusive club :wink:
    :yes: :laugh:, Gary had the best day with the Bass taking 15 fish , Lee was once more right in among the fish , and john
    came up with some nice fish , considering I cocked the tides up we had a pretty good week , and a thicker book

4. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

and another lovely report Gary,you really are all talented fish catchers,well done

5. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Another quality trip to the best part of Scotland, :wink: all those years of work certainly pay of ,
    Alan you must have had senior moment with your tide book mate , you will have to pass the reins on to Martin or Garry :laugh:,

you have wet my appetite for my next trip there , Garry , don,t fret about the photo,s mate its hard work as we all know ,

i will do a session just on the camera when we go :yes: and enjoy watching the fish come in,
    see you all later ,

Harry. :cool:

6. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Absolute quality mate. Joe and I are chomping at the bit, two weeks seems far too long at the moment!

Can't wait to get up there, hopefully we'll have a few fish as nice as those ones :yes:

7. brocky

brocky Hot Rod !!!

another great report an a quality week with the lads, some superb fish were caught and some other monsters on but sadly didn't want to show. i cant wait for 2 weeks time to get among the fish once again, just like to say thanks to alan and gary for putting me and the boys on the fish. And not forgetting andy, john and martin for a great weeks fishing and a great laugh.

leee

8. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Totally inspirational , so many bass and what a good size too, must admit I'm not sure I could bait fish for them but chucking plugs around up to and after dark really floats my boat, want to get to the Mull this year but if it doesn't happen it's most definately the 1st date in the diary for next year. will grill you for marks if that's ok lads :cheesy:

Ken

9. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Great report Gaz, some cracking fish and big smiles...........well done bud.........

10. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Brilliant report as per gary, well done

11. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking fishing lads, totally awesome!!

Looks a great place to fish and spend a few days. Plenty of fish and some good mates, cant beat it !!

Ben

12. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Excellent stuff lads, reminds of what a great time I had last year up there with you guys. Really is nice fishing up there. Well done to everyone, showing us how it's done again :cool: :cool:

13. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

top report and pics as usual Gary :yes:

14. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Alan I think the tides made us think outside the box and may in fact have contributed to the improved bass fishing plus as you say a thicker book.

The Redcar Bass Club certainly came up with the goods,faced with the "minor" issues of tides and weather we pooled our knowledge and the results are there for all to see.

Gary you will be ok as master angler Brocky has the location of my new big fish mark,he was even using astronomy to get his positioning spot on.

Thanks for a great week,excellent fishing in beautiful surroundings with a group of top anglers and all round spot on guys.

P.S Don't forget the hill's have eyes so night time,stealth mode is needed.

6lb 14oz what a beauty :yes:

15. congerball

congerball Blenny

Stunning report Gary. You lads look like you've had a fantastic time. Great photos.

16. Welsh wizard

Welsh wizard if you don't know you don't need to know

Like everybody else has said well done Gary and the rest of the Redcar bass club nice one andy the pb

17. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Great report and top fishing lads well done to all

18. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

nice meeting up again glad u had a good week
    stairhaven looks the bizz next time up were going bassing never done it before

19. GJW

GJW Rockling

Would definitely agree Andy, it forced us to change things a little and vary our attack, something we probably would never have done if it wasn't forced upon us with the tide situation. One thing for certain is we all came away with a little more knowledge we probably wouldn't have had if we had gone on the right set of tides.

20. GJW

GJW Rockling

Oh forget to mention Andy caught a good mullet whilst plugging but it managed to leap from his grasp before i had chance to take a pic. Mullet is a species I want to target next time I go up. Anyone got any tips?

Gary