1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sea Angler Magazine - Alan Yates, Angling Licence And Advertising Debate.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Captain Underpants, Dec 30, 2010.

1. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

Re: Sea Angler magazine

I stopped buying it years ago when it became the advertisement for everything Penn. Only bought the odd copy since if I'm looking for new gear. Same articles just different adverts. I think it's had it's day now with the internet and forums like this you can get up to date impartial information on any aspect of our sport when you like. I think it's niche now is to point the new beginners in the right direction before they get to know local lads who can give the practical advice.

2. Paul Fenech

Paul Fenech New Member

I think aiming a personal attack on an individual is rather cowardly...
    Alan Yates - a plonker??? I think not!

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I think its fair comment Paul. He makes silly comments about a sea angling licence without giving a thought to the effects it would have on local communities like ours in Whitby. The Whitby Charter Skippers and Tackle shop owners fought long and hard to have the licence idea overturned, and Alan still thinks its a good idea. Plonker is putting it mildly, Id have said much worse.

http://www.wcsa.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/whitby-skippers-celebrate/

If Alan wants to do his usual bit through the magazine of complaining about nameless people on forums having a go at him. My names Glenn Kilpatrick, and I'm sure all the other lads will happily put real names to their screen names.

4. Paul Fenech

Paul Fenech New Member

Baramundi Bob,
    That maybe - I too am against a sea angling licence....but a personal attack on an individual is cowardly.
    Sea Angler's editor Mel Russ has also let it known that he too is dead against the idea - but being an inteligent and diplomatic guy that he is, he is prepared to offer both sides of the argument through Sea Angler.
    The Sea Angler "bashing" that occurs in forums like these always start with inaccurate information.
    "I won't buy Sea Angler 'cos they have Alan Yates wanting a licence....blah blah blah..."
    That's Alan's opinion, not ours (Sea Angler).
    As for advertising, well what can I say? Have a look in your local paper tonight and compare advertising / copy pages...
    Sitting behind a keyboard and bashing a magazine or an individual's credentials is easy and weak!
    Alan Yates is probably the best shore angler this nation has ever had - ummppphhh - that sounds like an advert.
    Simple fact is, you can't please everybody!
    I'm off to bash the government for introducing a 20% VAT to us....or I could slag off my local garage for adding a penny to a litre of diesel....

5. Baramundi Bob

We all live by the decisions we make Paul. Sea Angler employ Alan and so will be associated with him. Alan chose to publically announce his support of a sea angling licence. Its inevitable that people will link Sea Angler with Alan as he is on a high percentage of the pages. I still buy sea angler and quite enjoy it but I am put off it by Alan's presence in there given his stance on the licence. But that's just me, I'm sure others love him. It would be a boring old world if we all thought the same. As for the personal remarks, Im sure he's got broad shoulders. I get called worse on a daily basis, but that's life and as long as its not the people I class as close friends saying it, I dont care.

6. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cant agree more than with robq.
    the forum is better than any info out of a mag ,especially sea anglers which is well out of date before the punters get to read it ,catching cod at dim or spurn ,if you rang them with the facts it would be at best a month before it got into the mag and everyone knows that the fishing goes up and down with each tide.
    i remember a few years ago going to spurn with my lad to dig for worm for the big match on sunday ,put a rod in the car to have a fish if i got plenty of bait ,well i got stacks so got on to the seaward side of spurn and had a fish or should say 24 cod in two hours ,spoke to lads walking the beaches to find where was fishing for the next day and it was same all over.
    next day on match,50yds from where i fished sat ,1 bite ,did get a prize with it though but what a change from the day before.

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I ve bought Sea Angler for years and the magazine has evolved through many different stages to what it is today.
    The difficulty has to be keeping the experienced and knowledgeable anglers happy as well as catering for the newcomers to the sport. I think there is a balance in the present format.
    Then there are the many different forms of actual shore angling, rock, beaches, piers, estuaries etc, etc. That has to mean to the long term reader somethings are repeated from time to time. But then articles like Ray and Andy's on Ravenscar and then Mick Chadwicks on Hayburn and The Iron Springs article made great reading with lots of info in both writing and pictures.

I like to think that there is always something that I learn from the magazine and and usually a lot more that interests . All monthly mags, be it carp fishing to motorbikes repeat their articles over time after all there is only so much that can be written before inevitable something is repeated.

I have to agree though with Paul that the name calling isn't really on, the results over the years on the match scene speak for themselves for Mr Yates, he may have his own views on the licence subject which I also strongly disagree with, but that doesn't in itself mean he doesn't have a wealth of experience and knowledge of sea angling. Perhaps the letters page of the magazine where Alan Yates would have right to respond is the better place to comment directly at the individual.

A lot of what is written helps the anglers build on their knowledge so they stop chasing the fish reports on forums which are nearly always a tide too late anyway and bgin to work things out for themselves. Just as this forum and others do with the wealth of information stored in the archives if you look for it. Both are different forms of media with both having pro's and con's.

I enjoy Sea Angler and really enjoy the different forms of fishing it now covers, maybe I m in the minority on here in saying that but each to their own.

8. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

paul - i think most sea anglers would recognise that alan yates is a top angler, but he is definitely in a tiny minority of sea anglers who think the sea angling licence is a good idea - i'm sure he is used to adverse comments with viewpoints like that and it's water off a ducks back- after all he's a big boy now and can defend himself

9. Baramundi Bob

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

Another lurker lets himself be known ...... Grow up ....

11. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

once again i will put my two penneth inn, Mell russ is the only one to see the truth behind the licence scheme,

as for Kieth Arthur, sticking his freshwater oar inn , he can shove it whare the sun dont shine,
    it is far more easy to patrol the rivers and fisheries than covering difficult shore areas,
    the two branches are as different as chalk and sheese, and as for restocking the sea with fish ,

WHO THE HELL DOES ALAN YATES THINK HE IS ,BLOODY GOD ALLMIGHTY :angry: the bloody idiot , and my name is Harry cook.

12. Re: Sea Angler magazine

paul i really think your been the 1 who is cowardly to say your magazine is never wrong and every 1 is perfect is cowardly if thats your only argument, then i will have to say its cowardly the way u and your fellow sea angler employee`s say everything is brilliant gear and worth the money, well im afraid to say its not all brilliant and some of its rubbish, as a magazine u attack the people who keep u and your magazine in a job for stating an opinion then sea anglers days are numberd.

13. bucko

bucko New Member

Maybe, like Jellyworm I am on my own here but I would be sad to see the angling glossies go.

Forums do offer a more candid, up to date and intricate view of the sport but there's still a place for magazines.
    As long as people buy them then long should they continue- at the end of the day they provide peoples jobs and I don't mean the contributors- the design staff, the printers, the distribution firms and so on.
    I reckon one or two tackle firms have done alright out of well placed seasonal advertising in said mag too.

However, as with much of the press a 'controversial character' with views that aren't in favour with the public create discussion about the publication and increase sales and interest- despite its relevance and realism.
    In past days people would write a 'letter to the editor' and maybe thats what needed if the unrealistic idea of a sea license continues to be bandied about .

14. NSB

NSB New Member

I agree, even though there not always up to date there still a good read around the ad's.

15. Paul Fenech

Paul Fenech New Member

WOW...some incredible accusations there Mr Underpants! I ATTACK people and companies that keep me and Sea Angler in a job...lost me on that one....:)
    I notice you're a "forum helper of the month" winner. Nice accolade, you must be so proud!
    Anyway, as has been said, why not write a letter to us with any gripes on issues, especially the Alan Yates & sea angling licence? It's much better than hiding in a forum...I'm sure my good mate Alan Yates will give you his reasons behind his thinking.
    I could tear Underpant's post to shreds...but I'll decline this time...
    Tight Lines and a happy New Year to you all.
    Paul

16. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

tsf now thats a magazine ha ha chill out boys

17. NSB

NSB New Member

Theres alot of people on here if you read back on other posts that feel strongly against the sea angling licence, and they will more than likely disagree with you that they are ''hiding in a forum'' as im sure there are plenty of people who wouldnt be worried to voice there opinions face to face with Alan and to the rest of the angling community.

But hey ho everyones entitled to an opinion.

Nick

18. makaman

makaman Guest

mr french theres only so many times sea angler can print what cod baits 2 use stick 2 fishing have a beer and chill out ps alan yates is agreat angler but he might want 2 lisen 2 some 1 other than his self ever now and then

19. Baramundi Bob

20. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Calm down lads :laugh:

The magazine's have a tough job really as there is only a percentage of the magazine that is relevant to the individual. Because of this some editions are more interesting than others, but not everyone is a cod angler. 3 year ago I wouldn't have read any of the bass features but now I read them all. Other times I flick over the ad pages not giving them a 2nd glance untill I intend buying some tackle and sometimes give them more attention than the articles.

As for Alan Yates, he's allowed his opinion even though hardly anyone agrees with it, re-fishing licence. Certainly not me or Mel Russ for that matter. People are allowed to respond to his views but personal attacks are a bit below the belt. There are many examples of difference of opinions in this world, religion, politics etc just because there's might differ from yours dosn't make them a plonker!

Iv'e had my mush in SA a few times but I,m not a flag bearer for it. Do I like reading it, yes I do! Just like Robson Green who gets a lot of stick the mag is viewed through critical eyes and people have a habit of hanging on to the worst bits.