1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sea Angler Magazine - Alan Yates, Angling Licence And Advertising Debate.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Captain Underpants, Dec 30, 2010.

1. is it me or has sea angler magazine gone right down hill ?

every time u buy an issue its packed with adverts and bass fishing pages, also everytime u read it is there not 1 peice of equipment be it rod, reel ,clothing, infact anything they dont recommend or say is brilliant, i no they have to make money there a business, but they never have a bad word to say about any product they have an article on,maybe im speaking for myself but id like them to have a view of there own and not some made up journalist rubbish that everything is brilliant and u carnt do without it.

been an avid reader for a lot of years but wont be renewing my subscription its a load of tosh now.

2. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

Re: Sea Angler magazine

You need to do a search for Sea Angler or Dangler as some call it. There have been lots of posts about this subject over a number of years.
    Your not alone in your thinking mate, believe me.
    :wink:

3. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

bought sea angler for years but wont even let the wife buy it for me for nowt now,
    its just like paying for a fishing catalogue ,full of adds nearly every page ,i know they put adds in to make money buts its over 85% adds so what are we paying for,
    alan yates getting all the latest gear for nothing thats my veiw so i wont buy it again ,if enough stop paying they might realise and put fishing articles in it again but dont hold your breath.
    frank.

4. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

Personally I think there is only so much can be written about making rigs, what methods to use, places to visit etc etc.
    The only new 'info' can be about reels & rods, lures etc.

We all know times they are a changing and most of these mags are written about 6 weeks in advanvce of publication so fishing reports can't be up to date, most of it is guessed at.
    My mate has a subscription and got the latest Jan edition on the 19th of Dec so when was that actually published with the 'latest' info?
    The place for real info is the likes of this site and others depending where you normally fish IMHO.

Just ask and you will be rewarded :laugh:
    Happy New Year one and all.

5. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Save your money captain and buy another harrison rod its about time mell russ found another job him and yates are both Bankers wink wink tightlines Alain

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I cant comment on Mell Russ as I know very little about him, and must admit he has produced a good magazine in the past. The fact Alan Yates is in there is enough reason not to buy it. I must admit I quite like Sea Angler and do read it from time to time, but Alan Yates supports a Sea Angling Licence, which would bring hardship to the Charter Skippers and Tackle shops of my home town, all of whom are my friends. So from my point of view I dont want to read anything he has to say about fishing because he's quite clearly absolutely bonkers.

One thing I would advise you to get hold of instead is Boat Fishing Monthly. I dont often read it myself but Young Dan reads it cover to cover every month and he has passed on many useful tips for our kayak fishing outings, plus I like Steve Coppollos contributions. Steve speaks out against the Angling Trust, Bass, SACN etc, and whats more the magazines editor has the balls to let Steve say his piece. So thats full marks to Boat Fishing Monthly for publishing a real anglers viewpoint rather than fearing upsetting those who want to rule over us. Most of the Conservation articles you see in Sea Angler are either a belated sit on the fence editorial by Mel or a pro licence article by Alan Yates.

7. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

i buy (get) B F M every month and have done for the last few years bloody good read tightlines Alain

8. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I subscribe to sea angler have subscription bought for me should i say i must say i am most p***ed off about a whole section of it being given over to bass fishing.Don't get me wrong i love my bass fishing its all i do in the summer more or less but i don't want to read about bass in the mag month in month out.I also get BFM every month & total sea fishing & i don't reckon BFM is a patch on the old boat angler of years ago before it was Incorporated into sea angler & changed for the worse although it is an enjoyable read most of the time as is TSF.But i find the numerous digital mags & forums much more interesting & things change daily there

9. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

We advertizing in the mag but belive me its begrudeged we get little or no editiotial whatsoever its like they are frightened to publish what we get on the boats here as it might dampen the south many pictures have been sent in and not a sniff but they dont blink they deffernetly have this grudge against this part of the world in boat angling it has led to some boats pulling out from advertizing unfortunatly the majority of editorial is old is now done from behind the desk with very little out on the ground where the real action is.

paul.

10. mr lee

mr lee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Funny you say that Paul, I was in touch with Mel a few weeks back about our RNLI trip to Norway and he just wasn't interested in anymore Norway features. Why? Because he has 4 on file already to take him into 2012. So the features you are reading (or would if you bought it...) are potentially 2 years old before they even hit the shelves. At least he had the courtesy to reply mind even if his email was littered with spelling errors, unlike Total sea fishing who didn't even bother replying to the Email.

11. Baramundi Bob

Dont forget to keep us informed on your Norway trip mate.

12. mr lee

mr lee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I will do Glenn. Once we get closer I'll want some decent forum stickers for the truck. :cheesy:

Holding off pushing it too much over christmas.

13. Barnsley Chop

Barnsley Chop New Member

So why are you still advertising with them Phil

14. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

yeh they keep using the same picture of the same old git :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

you know i love you ray :yes:

15. bassman

bassman Administrator

Stopped getting it years ago, same old thing every time lol

16. NorthWind

NorthWind New Member

It is always going to be difficult to cater to everyones interests given the huge scope sea fishing presents, across such a varied coastline as ours.
    It seems the mag is foremost a beginners guide (with the same basic info repeated every year) .
    Some interesting stuff can crop up here and there, a few suggestions of places to visit or some new tactic to try.
    But front page headlines try and capture us with ways to catch big cod (yeah tell me) and reviews on the latest gear.
    But the overall focus appears more like a poorly concealed marketing exercise on behalf of the major players in the fishing tackle industry.
    This is often frustratingly apparent in their so called tackle reviews where it often seem very 'dumbed down' reports of how this rod is great or this reel is a quiet performer :laugh:
    Well that sort of write up speaks for itself :no:
    When i decided to buy a new digital camera there were no end of reviews each giving definite technical specs, performance related info and very importantly comparisons with similar products -by publications and online sites that have gained an excellent reputation for their honest and reliable reviews that help a person make an informed judgement.
    I know that there are differences between digital cameras and fishing gear (my penn 535 takes crap pictures) but the crucial factor is in being able to give comparisons between the different items which some unprepared to do.
    I can only imagine that the mag is afraid of offending one of its advertisers/promoters by being honest.
    Fishing rods are made to perform in different ways, carp anglers will understand test curves etc. and fly fishers the specific action of the rods they buy.
    It relates to how they actually perform so is totally relevent.
    These are some of the things that define the product in a useful way rather than a 'I would buy one'!
    These are technical details that can be measured, compared and illustrated using diagrams and are of real use.
    I agree that the best way to tell how a rod performs is to try it and lots more like it, but most don't have that extensive option.
    Apparently at sea angler they do, (Alan 'Foxy' Yeats and Paul 'Fling-it') have some genuine expertise.
    So no excuses then.

Perhaps the mag is happy to alienate most of the dedicated anglers, by this dumbing down, and aim to attract potential readers who are new to the sport.

Oh dear where will it all end! :laugh:

Sorry if I have gone off on a bit of a rant here :snore:

Guess we just got to take it or leave it.

Just goes to show what comercial preasures abound in our modern world of media, and in comparison what a valuable resource we have here on this site

17. Baramundi Bob

I aim to get our reviews section rejuvenated in the new year, so if people think some of the gear is crap, we want to know about it.

18. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I like many anglers ,have in the past bought the mag,BUT it doesnt take long to work out that each month is recycled year after year, i have bought the odd copay a year just to see what the new gear is doing atc,etc,

but i do have a gripe about it as well,
    when i caught my lovely Bass of 13lb 1 oz i sent in a report and gave quite a bit of info , i allso sent photographs as well and asked for it to be entered into catch and release comp ,and another comp ,Cant quite remember what it was now ,

anyway it was over looked and i was realy gutted not to win something for my efforts,

it does seem to be southern orientated though, even though there are some of the best anglers in the country north of watford gap, :gum:

19. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

Watford ain't on the coast is it Harry? :confused:

20. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Its certainly gone down hill in my opinion , I have bought it for around 40 years or so , to much Alan Yates , Bass ,Bass for me , in some
    respects it has to go back to grass roots for me