1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scottish Mackerel Season Starts

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 27, 2007.

1. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i agree with a lot your saying glen but in your words if a school of mackerel can pass through a mcz in minutes then surely the mcz,s are not huge and we could give some of these areas back to the wildlife as a safe haven away from angling and commercial pressure .
    course fish have a season when they get a rest ,game such as birds ,deer all have a season when they cant be taken.
    something has to be done and it has to start somewhere so i hope that some of these areas get the go ahead ,in the 20 years or so i,ve been sea fishing i,ve seen a massive drop in the numbers of cod caught from the shore [except for lobbers].
    dont think i will see it back to how it was even 10 years ago in my lifetime but heres hopeing that changes will be for the good.

frank.

2. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I am gutted they I have not caught one in years. Once up Scotland the water was boiling and I caught a sprat. This summer will be different I hope

3. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Its all just to depressing for me , total madness

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I think you tied yourself in a bit of a knot there Frank. Firstly you talk about Angling pressure then you say you can barely catch a fish, can you give me some examples of this angling pressure that is impacting on fish stocks ?. If you read this site, the majority of you struggle to catch 20 fish from Sept To January in our 50 cod challenge, and only the odd one or 2 of you can catch 50 in that time span, by and large this is down to poor ability on the parts of many of you.

If your struggling to average two fish a week in prime season then what pressure are you putting the sea under. Even when the sea was stuffed with fish in the 70's, many of you would not have caught your fair chare because you dont have the ability.

There are fewer fish because they were taken out illegally in massive numbers over a 20 year period. I still maintain an mcz will do nothing for fish stocks. It will do a lot for jobs at DEFRA and NEIFCA though.