1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scottish Mackerel Season Starts

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 27, 2007.

1. The Shetland registered Altaire which was involved in a £4 million pound black fish scandel 2 years ago has made its first landing of the new mackerel season. The Altaire (The largest UK owned pelagic vessel) landed 1900 tonnes of mackerel, reputed to be the biggest ever landing of mackerel in the UK for human consumption.

[​IMG]

I quickly put 1900 tonnes into a tonnes to pounds converter and it comes out at 4,188,782 pounds. For examples sake if each fish weighed 1 pound that would equate to over 4 million mackerel on one boat.

Also worth a mention is the scale of the illegal fish landings by Irish boats over a 5 year period.

quote from : www.fishupdate.com

88,184,905 that's 88 million pounds. Again at a pound a fish its 88 million and that's just what was taken illegally.

So next time someone tells me to practice catch and release with this species please do not be offended when I lodge one in your rectal area ;)

2. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

ouch :wounded:

3. cassshantia

cassshantia part timer but enjoy every minute

if they start now glen when do they turn up around here?
    is there a rule of thumb or just take them when they come(feed wise and weather wise)

4. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

usually the last 2 weeks in may gibbo.I had my 1st in the last week of may last year.

5. cassshantia

cassshantia part timer but enjoy every minute

long time no txt you been busy on shut down ? :surprise:

6. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

yes mate.just started my 16 off today :cheesy:

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Dan the pollock is the mystic mackerel man. When he sees feed out of his bedroom window, the mackerel have arrived.

8. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

when i was a kid my dad used to take me to the heaugh et hartlepool around the first week of july , :wink: we had fish all through the school hol's until september,aye happy days :happy: :happy: :happy: i still use that as a rule of thumb ,there used to be hundred,s on there in those days now your lucky if you see a dozen :no:

9. Baramundi Bob

More of the same :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/north-east-fishing-news/altaire-lands-2000-tonnes-of-mackerel-in-norway

10. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Wow. That amount of fish is just beyond belief.

11. cleeclive

cleeclive Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

These guys are all multi-millionaires and licenced to run a truly fraudulent business. They land huge catches into norway that do not get a mention in their log-books bank the money there and build new ships with it to catch yet more black fish. I do not think that the odd fine really hurts these guys too much at all, mind you It might hurt their pride.

Cleeclive

12. Baramundi Bob

If memory serves me correct Clive the 2 owners of this vessel were done for a 4.5 million pound black fish haul into Denmark. They were prosecuted but after fines they still came out in profit which is unbelievable. To make it worse they couldn't seize any assets from them as on paper they owned nothing with all the assets being in family members names including a large and expensive collection of antique motorbikes..

A few months after I had a MFA representative at the Scarborough angling meeting, tell me that they are very successful at dealing with illegal fishing. Obviously the term successful has a rather subjective meaning for some.

13. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Reading these threads regarding commercial fishing has left my mouth wide-open, completely corrupt! Quite an education, thanks for this insite

14. Jmeddy

Jmeddy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Greedy ba....rds . Soul destroying to say the least

15. blackmouth

blackmouth Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

anyone have any idea how many cows, sheep or chicken are killed each year- still we continue- fish have been getting caught for a wee while now and the skippers have bills to pay and will want to go next year and the year after etc etc to catch more -think before you type.

16. Baramundi Bob

There is no way possible you can compare farmers and fishermen. Farmers look after their land, they rotate their crops, they fertilise. They care for their animals and bread to sell. If you want some examples on how the commercial fishing sector care for thier environment I can give you an endless list of reading matter showing most dont give a flying £uck.

Few to start you off :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/why-purse-seining-is-obscene

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/whitby-boat-skippers-prosecuted-for-illegal-fishing

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/richard-brewer-whitby-trawler-skipper-fined-for-illegal-fishing

17. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

To be honest I think there has been a huge shift towards consumers of meats and poultry having a conscience regarding what they buy and from where it came and how it lived etc it seems to me the fishing industry is something that is poorly understood, many different industries have to evolve and adapt, its inevitable that commercial fishing will too. Fish stocks and the environment can't take the hammering that it currently endures.

18. michael76

michael76 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The BestEST

Absolutely true it would make sense to take a leaf out of the sustainable farming in the UK and europe,rather than doing the opposite #unsustainable..

19. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Glen ,
    do you think this is sustainable ,
    thats one big net of fish for one trip and i,m sure they will be straight back out to do it all again.
    i read the article on the black mackerel and herring caught by this boat and others ,
    i would have thought with such blatent breaking of the law the least they should have got was their licences to fish taken away ,
    it was fish worth millions of pounds in a highly organised scam by the skippers and the processors.
    god help the mackerel shoals now with this pressure on them.

frank.

20. Baramundi Bob

I dont worry too much about Mackerel because they have the ability to regenerate in massive numbers in only a few years. The quota system would work if enforced properly and you could have big boats taking big numbers of fish without any problem at all. The scientists offering the quota advice are well aware that this could be a very big sustainable industry

Having said that, when the quota system is not enforced (and it wasnt for 15 years +), and you have a free for all and a situation where breaking the rules still allows people to come away with profit even after prosecution then you need to worry.

No marine conservation zone is going to mend that situation. Their needs to be a shift in power and penalties a court can hand down. Mackerel are transient and cover thousands of miles a year in search of food and to reproduce. They will pass through a MCZ in a matter of minutes.

I have always maintained that the way forward is to come down heavy on anyone caught breaking the law. Enforce the quota limits vigorously, a lifetime ban from fishing would be the ultimate deterrent.

How mad a situation, that a kayak angler taking a single mackerel from a MCZ may be prosecuted whilst the skipper of the altaire can break the law to the value of millions of pounds and come out in profit even after being prosecuted. And people think all is going to be rosey when we get 31 marine conservation zones. I sometimes wonder if people commenting actually have the brains they were born with.