1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scotland, Skate, kayaking the Corryvreckan, Sea Eagles, an Amazing Week (pics)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Apr 17, 2011.

1. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Just back from the now infamous Sound of Jura having spent a wonderful week with good friends George, Dave, Barb, Stephen, Fiona..... and even Rupert and Willybendit made an appearance, a truelly memorable week.....

I'm not going to write a great long story as the photos say it all :cheesy: but I'll break it down into paragraphs, apologies to some as its not all fishing but some damn good fishy moment were had :wink: :cheesy:

Day 1

Up to Scotland and the wonderful digs on Crinan harbour, a beautiful house straight off the slip, George a real credit to you for organising that one. We even had time for a bit of sight seeing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A view from the living room window

[​IMG]

Straight out for the skate fishing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A good fish for George but lost at the side with leader in hand.

[​IMG]

Day 2, an expedition trip organised and planned by our good friend Dave, circumnavigating Shuna and a visit to the tide race and playspot know as the Grey Dogs. On the journey was myself, Fi, Dave and his good friend Colin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are we going the right way? Yes we are...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A brill paddle in some challenging waters...and impeccable planning by Dave, thank you mate. And a pair of golden eagles flying above to boot.

The next day was windy so we had a simple paddle up Loch Sween, lots of wildlife, otters, sea urchins, starfish, a real chill out, lovely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have more photos on Fi's camera, will try and upload these later.

It has been a burning desire to visit the Corryvreckan, now this is a piece of water that deserves total respect, have a nosey here if your interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Corryvreckan

or here, Douglas Wilcox's fantastic site http://seakayakphoto.blogspot.com/search?q=corryvreckan

There was a weather window, I spent half the night making sure we got the tides just right to enter the Corry at slack and to be pushed back out by the start of the ebb, a couple of bum clenching moments but it worked and we pushed through the notorious piece of water...job done.

Across the sound and onto Jura for lunch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Into the Corryvreckan...

[​IMG]

Could this be the 1st fishing SOT on this piece of water?? Well done George..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ebb seemed to start almost immediately, huge uplifts were gargling up from the bottom, the whirlpool was just across the way....we didn't hang about, out we were spat and back into the Sound.....

While on one of our paddles we were very fortunate to see a nesting pair of Sea Eagles or White Tailed Eagles as they are also know....a wonderful sight, we managed to snap a few photos between us but they dont really do the experience justice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well anyway.....back to the fishing, the last full day of our trip so it had to be done, lets go find the skate...

George is the 1st to hook one and Fi gave assistance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A fun sized one for George...

[​IMG]

Fi wasn't so sure about that tail...

[​IMG]

George then hooks a big girl and we land a nice fish...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new girl on the block still hadn't seen whisper of a fish, she wasn't so sure if she wanted to hook one anyway and was quite happy laying back in the yak day dreaming...

[​IMG]

Then BANG.....her rod arched over and the tip was driven deep under the water..Fi doesnt scream much but I think they heared her back in Crinan Harbour, and the filth that came out of her mouth in the following 45 minutes is unprintable....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But with shear determination she won that fish to the surface, a big fish, a bloody great big male fish, well done girl, way to go, she played it alone and she lifted it 410 ft off the bottom alone, I simply supported her kayak.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A truelly amazing week.....thank you to all involved

2. andym

andym Rockling

Re: Scotland, Skate, kayaking the Corryvreckan, Sea Eagles, an Amazing Week

Awesome mate!!!!!!!

3. makaman

makaman Guest

what great pics now that is living

4. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Nie 1 Ken, looks an amazing place fella........well done to fi on landing that little beauty............

5. loz

loz Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Crackin report and pics Ken

6. robq

robq Rockling

great pics and story ken as always :cool:

Well done Fi on your 1st skate !! hell of an experience :yes:

7. ste muir

ste muir New Member

What a good report,great photos it really looks a spectacular place.

8. spud

spud New Member

:cheesy:

9. raymo

raymo New Member

great pic's ken,,,nice to see spud still getting out,,,,well done to all.....

10. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello Ken,
    fantastic report and photos, what a cracking trip....well done everyone.

Regards Ian

11. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

looks fantastic ken, thanks for sharing :yes:

12. newdave

newdave Guest

Unfortunately I was only able to be with them for a couple of days as I was on my way to Aberdeen for work, however they were truly memorable. Many thanks to Spud & Babs for providing us with superb accommodation & good company. with such a short time to spend i had to decide on priority's & with such a great forcast for Sunday it had to be one of the classic sea kayak trips. some great photos from Ken & Fiona but here are a few of mine plus a bit of video.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    & this was due to tiredness & in no way related to the 5 bottles of Lager & 1/2 a bottle of Gin :wink:
    [​IMG]

13. carpyken

carpyken New Member

You bad man :laugh: :laugh: The video is great, gives a true indication of the tide running through Grey Dogs :cheesy:

14. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

What a fantastic excursion. Very well done to all involved and thanks for sharing the experience. Cracking pics and video as well . Awesome. Congrats to Fi on the Skate.

15. deecee

deecee Blenny

Superb ! Looks like you all had a fantastic time. Thanks for sharing

16. rupert

rupert Blenny

Ken

Many thanks for having us to stay over on the Sunday night. You fed and watered us very well and it was great to finally put some forum names to faces!

I don't know - some guys just can't take the pace. I think Al was cidered out, rather than ginned out like you. :laugh: :laugh:

[​IMG]

17. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Looks like a really good laugh lads, well done on the Skate

18. spud

spud New Member

Ken pretty much said it all i would just like to thank Ken,Fi,Stephen,Dave,Alain and Rupert for making it a week to remember.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turn the sound up ;D
    movie 6

[​IMG]

[​IMG]