1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scarborough South Bay Kayak Fishing (Report And Pictures)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by mike_t, Jan 14, 2014.

1. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Kayak Fishing Home Page

Jackson Kayak Fishing team Topics

With a break in the weather I had planned to have a yakking session somewhere, Runswick was my first thought then I seen Ian (TangleFoot) was going out from Scarborough South Bay and invited me to join him, I thought be nice to have a change of scenery and arranged meeting times, an early start.

I got up to the alarm at 0500 put some food together and a flask and went to pick my yak up, I was doing well with time untill I noticed I neded fuel for car.

I still made it in good time and arrived in the dark. Ian was already there and Hoggy pulled up soon after and we were soon at the waters edge ready to go.

[​IMG]

All the gear set and in its place, two rods ready to go just a lead to clip on and bait up. I had peeler crab, cart, squid, lug and mackerel. More than enough and plenty of choice

So time to jump in the Cuda for the first trip of the year and go in search of some cod.

[​IMG]

We paddled just over 1.5mile and found a nice area of rough ground and a nice gully, we were all within talking distance and depths varied a lot under each one of us.

Anchoring up, baiting the rods, one just a couple of big peeler on a 6/0 and the other rod on squid and cart on a pennel, circle hook and a manta.
    We did not have to wait long and Ian was into the first fish of the day, a small codling.

Within a minute one of my rods bounced over and I was pulling up a codling myself, a fish about 2lb just as I unhooked it my other rod bounced over and a smaller fish came in, not worth keeping so slipped it back.

Keeper

[​IMG]

One I returned
    [​IMG]

We were all fairly close together and all getting into fish,

Ian
    [​IMG]

Hoggy
    [​IMG]

I got both my rods lobbed back towards where I had them before and settled back in my chair and waited for the next bite, sure enough not long after my rod thumped over and the fish in the end was putting up a good scrap, I got it in without too much fuss and she was a better fish

[​IMG]

We had a few more fish but bites started to slow and a move was on the cards, we spread out a bit more, I seen Hoggy get straight I to the fish again, I had to wait a bit longer but sure enought the bites came, more codling but again not worth keeping so slipped them back.

Few fish I caught
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was getting very cold at this point and desided to up anchor and paddle over see how the lads were doing and have a paddle back towards the first spot.

They were both getting bites and fish but I need to warm up. I set off back and kept going, warming up but called it a day.

It was the longest paddle I have done on the new Yak, my biggest issue was me, being very unfit, too much food at Xmas, but the Cuda handled well and again very comftable

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I only kept three Cod, I had more which were of size but returned them to fight another day. Next time a few more layers and better socks, thanks for reading,

(Happy, but Cold) Mike
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jase

jase Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Scarborough South Bay- Yakking

Good report mate, well done on getting out for a few fish in the cold weather (ROLL ON THE SUMMER)

3. len29c

len29c Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Scarborough South Bay- Yakking

Well done Mike for getting out and getting a few fish. Good report and making me think I must get myself out soon too

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Well done on getting out there and having a go. Looking forward to a bit of uptiding this spring. I get the feeling it could be very good.

5. mike_t

Cheers for the replies, there was a lot of fish about yesterday, if I could have warmed up I could have caught a lot more. The other lads had about 30lb of cod not counting the fish they returned

6. cuzza

cuzza Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fascinating this kayak fishing thing ....i have a good knowledge of the sea and think there are some excellent spot around Redcar that i would love to drop a line in to ....think a bit ov research and talks with experience yakker is coming up, ::)

7. hilsey

hilsey Blenny

Good report and well done on the fish!
    We're you just off cornelian area?

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

9. mike_t

We were mate yea, moved about a bit but in that area mostly.

10. hilsey

hilsey Blenny

Ok thought it looked like that. Plenty of ground to go at there

11. cuzza

cuzza Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

thanks glenn :)