1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satwick Nab - Does It Still Get Fished ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by big cliff, Nov 23, 2014.

1. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Many years ago a mark that used to produce some good catches was off the cliff top on Saltwick Nab , even during the summer , there was cod , coleys , flats etc to be caught , and during the winter cod into double figures were caught there
    did it all go bad ? or is it a mark thats overlooked now ?

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: Does It Still Get Fished ?

One of my very favourite marks. The abundance of billets this years hasnt helped though. They seem to be on your bait the moment it hits the water.

Likes a nice coloured up northerly.

3. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Great question Alan many a time i have looked at that and thought is it worth / possible to fishing from there.

4. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Yes its very possible to fish it , and years ago it was a prolific mark

5. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

:) you will need to book a place now.... 26 guests viewing... all the lurkers who come on to find out where the fish are being caught... don't actually contribute to the forum.... One of these days I might put a spoof cod haul on and see if all the lurkers turn up... like saltburn pier ;D NOT that anybody has ever done that in the past ....have they???

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

It's actually a mark i thought About fishing last week , although I changed me mind fished low water and blanked ha

7. Davo

Davo Rockling

One of my favourite marks for years now, but i havn't fished it for a year or two. Al is right about it fishing well in the summer. Had some good fish off there, especially in August.

8. Ricard00

Ricard00 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I don't contribute but then again I am totally green and am trying to garner as much info as possible so that I have a chance of catching next time I'm out!

9. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

You know lads theres still places out there that haven't or as near as hell to it --- never been fished , just get the wide angle lens on

10. Baramundi Bob

Im finding what Im reading to be very confusing, I would never claim to be an expert but some of the advice and opinion is going right against what I know to be true of the mark. Im wondering if people are confusing the nab with somewhere else ?? Perhaps Saltwick beach or the sisters ?? With the exception of 2 people, I would say in the past 20 years Ive fished it as much if not more than anyone I know.

Davo, when you say it fishes well into summer, what species are you talking about ?? The ground at the Nab is clean slate and only a few feet deep, you dont get many codling running up there in the middle of summer, if any. Having fished it inside out for many years I would say its a winter mark, best fished in Nov and Dec on very very overcast days or absolute darkness with colour an almost necessity. Id even opt for other marks if a full moon was out. When the water is clear you are plagued with Billets

Summer its full of flounders and the occasional billet. Ive tried a lot for bass on bait but been largely unsuccesful. Ive had bass in the area but never off the nab itself.

11. zorro

zorro Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Glen. I'm a bit confused as well. Are we talking about fishing on the nab itself or what I know to be the tea garden? Or am i way off the mark?

12. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I don't mean beginners or learners at all it's the non posters who come and visit, take what they want( information for themselves) and then go, They don't care if a forum gets sucked dry because no body posts they just move on to the next one. take a look at http://www.clevelandseaangler.co.uk/ one.
    If we didn't have people asking question ( such as yourself :)) It wouldn't be as good a forum as it is

13. Dav

Dav Rockling

oops I meant staithes . ;D

14. Ricard00

Ricard00 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I appreciate that. Forums like this are an invaluable resource and if people stop replying and sharing their knowledge (within reason) then the forum dies off which would be a shame.

15. Davo

Davo Rockling

Codling Glenn and fresh runners at that. Not coloured fish. It fishes or itt did during block tides. The times I fished the mark was only when our lass wanted to go to the caravan, so I would give it a go. Most prob fished it 4 or 5 times and it fished really well. The first time I fished it in the summer there was only a small ground swell on, and the sea had been flat for a week. I did notice though, that on at least 2 occasions the harbour was chocka with spratts.

16. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Used to more or less live there saltwick nab was one of favourite marks had many double figure cod there remember one night in club match waiting to go onto whitby scaure fishing the gut which was the spot where you got down onto whitby scaure ,
    The tide was still to far in to get onto the scaure so i had a couple of chucks before i went onto rayle hole first cast a 16lb cod then a 8lber what a start to the match but as a lot of places the colour nowadays aint there like it was as soon the sewer pipe on whitby scaure got turned off the colour went and catches dropped get a good northerly and thick colour and it still fishes had some massive bags from there on small tides flooding fishing near the wreck on the end of the nab the wreck is called the charles and is laid more or less against the nab it stands about 4ft high whats left of it being down some night just as its flooding the wreck would be half covered 2or 3ft of water and it would be a fish a chuck and its just flat scaure but as with many good marks the tangle beds arent far away .

paul.

17. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The ground at the Nab is clean slate

casting towards east pier , used to fish it over 30yrs ago if its the same nab.

like it was as soon the sewer pipe on whitby scaure got turned off,

your right this has contributed to the area in general ,

feb time used to produce for us, info from long liners doing well inside this & saltwick area

I think S I'hanson ? once did an article on this area with a 16lb cod in seadangler

18. Baramundi Bob

Although very much the same place I would call the Whitby Side Of Saltwick Nab - The Nab (Ie casting towards the piers), And the inside fishing onto The North Batts as The Tea Gardens, so called because it actually was once a tea garden (Ill see if I can find some photographs).

The two marks are very similar except that the Tea Gardens side is around 5 -10ft shallower and fished a lot less often. The late Arthur Mcarthy was one angler who consistently fished The Tea Garden's side and I often saw him with a decent bass or 2 from that side. Despite years of fishing the nab side I dont ever recall seeing a bass caught although I did once here of 1.

19. DK

DK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

There was an article on Coast on Sunday regarding a hospital ship running aground in this area. It showed the Nab and the remains of the wreck in the area, an interesting article about the Whitby lifeboat. Worth a watch.

20. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

It was the rohilla 100 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk