1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

saltburn pier

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by scaleback, Dec 10, 2013.

1. scaleback

scaleback Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i know the pier is shut at the moment ,but is there any truth that some people are saying that a number of the legs have shifted

2. busmar1

busmar1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

didny know the pier was shut do we know for how long

3. bobby

bobby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Rumour has it theres alot of damage to the pier and looking at the state of the car park and railings its got to be true.

4. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

It'll be interesting to see how Redcar and Cleveland council deal with this

5. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hopefully better than S.B.C deal with whitbys problems

6. andym

andym Rockling

Hope they don't rebuild it vertically

7. Jordy

Jordy New Member

.....or give it the old Redcar pier treatment and just let it fall to bits and don't replace it. :eek: :(

8. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

if your relying on dunnings cronies you will be disappointed
    they will get outside firm in to monitor re redcar beacons birds
    least the big seas washed the bird c--p off
    seriously hope all is well with structural survey

9. CARAMAN

CARAMAN Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hya I rang redcar & cleveland council yesterday afternoon. The answer I got back after going through

3 departments, was that it will be open on FRIDAY, but didn't mention which one. No mention of damage

or inspection ???. Could this be a smoke screen we wil have to wait & seeeeeeeeeee

Cheers Caraman.

10. snap off!

snap off! Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Howdo, my mate climbed over and fished it early in the week, he said the only damage is to the amusements

11. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Unless your mate is a structural engineer this might be sending out the wrong message.

If the gate is locked, it's locked for a reason.

Not worth risking your own safety or anyone else's safety.

If anyone had an accident on there like a railing giving way, where you you stand legally. That is if you survived.

BP

12. snap off!

Howdo, ok then there was no visual damage e.g boards up, railing hanging off

13. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Maybe the gate being locked is just a precaution until someone has inspected it properly before giving it the all clear.

Safety comes first nowadays and local councils are just $hit scared of being sued for any little thing.

BP

14. snap off!

Howdo, hopefully that is the reason there are still shut, just need inspecting, I could be that the pier is ok put the amusements are damaged?

15. Boro5707

Boro5707 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Least the council bother with saltburn pier. Look at state of whitby east and Blyth piers up here. Cambois has fallen apart and the other one, the boards (railway sleepers) lift in big seas. Was on there one night and 2 other lads fishing, one starts lifting the boards and telling the other that one needs doing. Starts hammering nails in. Think was the same night a lad was using rabbit as bait. Strange place that Blyth is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. snap off!

Howdo, now dont missunderstand me here, but with all the damge caused last week withe the weather the pairwont be top of the list to open, there will be more important things like homes etc to come first, or thats wat I think

17. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The pier is funded by the lottery trust not the council

18. CARAMAN

CARAMAN Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hya all been down Saltburn pier this afternoon as tide was turning.Having read the possible damage

been done to the pier I made straight for under the amuesment decking to see what damaged had

been caused. There was at least ( 6 ) very heavy main timber beams ( 12'' x 8'') either missing or very badly

fractured aswell smaller beam the same size disloged. There was all so a number of ( 6'' x 3'') timbers fixed to

the underside of the main beams up against the stone wall to rebuff the sea when crashing into the wall &

hitting the floor of the arcade these were totaly brocken off & gone for drift wood. There were workmen

starting to corden off area's were the sea wall & cast iron railing had been smashed away.I asked had he

heard any thing reguarding been reopened his comments were there is a hole in the arcade floor, you can

see the front entrance is buldgeing out over, & there is suppost to be a inspection / meeting tommorow.

Will the council take the risk with all that damage to the arcade & let the pier be open to fish in the near future

I think not. The workman said the pier entrance to the arcade damage letting in the mountainas seas.He

said he didn't think any legs had moved. I couldn't see along the pier to make out if any damage had been

done further along. I am not a civil engineer just been in the construction industry all my life & just my thougths.

Cheers lads Caraman

PS took loads of photo's but don't know how to download or pass on sorry.

19. snap off!

Howdo, that sounds like alot of damage my mate must of had his eyes shut as he said everything lookek om with peir,

20. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Is it still closed?