1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salt water fly fishing the Yorkshire coast

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by ptn, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ptn

ptn Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello

Has anyone any experience of Fly fishing the Whitby area for Bass (or anything else that swims I like the idea of Seatrout/ Salmon! as recently described)?

I am planning a family holiday in August staying at Robin Hoods Bay and will be casting a line in hope. I have had some success in the south west but with little time am hoping for a pointer or two as to areas, tactics etc in what will be a new location.

"Saltwater Flyfishing" by Paul Morgan includes an ancient(1895) account of implausible success from Filey Brig is it still worth a chuck or would I be better exploring Robin Hoods Bay itself armed with a little bit of fish sense?

Any help or guidance would be gratefully received.

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

Its just getting the weather to do it mate. There's pollock, billet to be caught over rock and kelp marks, as well as bass, but i would target them towards darkness for best sport. Mackerel, come close in during this time as well, and bass on the soft, and not just behind the waves either. Cast parallell, in between each wave, is what i've been told by a good saltwater flyfisher.

3. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

I'm hoping to do a bit myself once summer arrives :laugh:
    I know a guy who sold all his beach fishing gear to but new fly tackle for salt water and he regularly catches bass only a few yards from the beaches - but you do need to be out at dawn or dusk to have a good chance of a fish.
    If I was staying at Robin Hoods Bay myself I would concentrate my efforts there as the bay is big and has lots of different marks at different stages of the tide. Concentrate on the times most suitable for fishing and spend the middle of the day with your family - it's a great part of the country for a holiday!

4. champion

champion Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

There aren't that many people on the east coast who saltwater fly fish, so advice from those who might be prepared to give it is very thin on the ground.
    As one of the very few I have done a fair bit myself so hopefully I can share some of my experience.
    The area that you are thinking of targeting at Robin Hoods Bay would be my first choice as I have had some good sport there on the fly for bass & coalies in recent times. I've seen a few sea trout there as well but not been lucky enough to connect with one yet.
    The best time I would say is early morning just after low water when the tide is starting to flood on a fairly calm sea.
    For location I would opt for walking to the far end of the long finger of rock that extends out to sea immediately in front of the landing slope at the bottom of the village itself. You can check this out on Google Earth. This goes out quite some distance so be very aware of the incoming tide and basically make your way back into shore as the tide floods. The bass will come into the channels either side on the flooding tide looking for sandeels. You then basically have 2 options for casting a line depending on which direction the wind is coming as you can cast either into right channel or into the left channel. In my experience the right hand channel is best but I have caught on both sides.
    Opt for a floating line with a leader of about 9ft. I usually go for a 3ft, 10lb fluorocarbon tippet on the end for stealth.
    For fly choice I have had good results on small Clouser Minnows, go for white and blue or white & pink (they seem to work best for me).
    However I have recently discovered something new whilst on holiday this year in Abersoch which was recommended to me by Michael Thornbury at Abersoch Angling (www.abersochangling.co.uk) 01758712646. These are basically small rubber sandeels similar to sidewinders. They are small enough and light enough to cast on a fly line. (see photo).
    [​IMG]
    I used them on a couple of sessions at the top end of Abersoch beach with great success catching bass and a few mackerel. These have a very lifelike swim action and the bass just love them. They are as cheap as chips, about 50p each so stock up.
    I used them 3 weeks ago from the end of the main rock finger at Robin Hoods bay and had 2 good bass around 3lb in a 2 hour session. Basically to fish them, just cast out as far as you can, let them sink and retrieve with a long medium pace pull. When the bass take, they hit them pretty hard so have a few spare as the soft rubber does tend to get shredded up a bit. You should also get plenty of coalies on them as well at this time of year and there are plenty of them about at Robin Hoods Bay. I have also used these reservoir trout fishing on Rutland Water and they are brilliant!
    Can't really tell you much more as that's about it. Just give it a go and stick at it - if the fish are there and the conditions favorable, then you will definitely catch on the small rubber sand eels. Like someone else said early morning and late evenings are the best times.

Good luck and tight lines.

5. ptn

Thats brilliant thank you all for your encouragment and advice. Being an expatriate Yorkshireman, I know Robin Hoods Bay well and was hoping you'd confirm my suspicions that it would be worth a crack. Really looking forward to giving it a go now. Just hope that the weather plays ball.

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

If i had the botle to give fly fishing a good go in the sea , one of the3 places i would try first is kettleness....

7. ptn

Not having a pop and appreciate the steer to Kettleness ( I've seen the Photos etc on the web site and it looks fun, if possible I will give it a go) but why should Saltwater flyfishing require more "bottle" than any other method of fishing? I enjoy bait fishing, plugging, flyfishing etc it's all a buzz and "there is no such thing as the unsporting method, just unsporting Anglers" Lets face it as far as Joe public are concerned Anglers are a strange breed of waistrails, so I may as well be proper odd.

Give it a go. I can't cast miles and don't do fancy gear. I've only caught 7 Bass on fly none of them big but I've loved every minute of trying and will go on flogging the ocean into a foam in pursuit of that wild buzzing pleasure that only Anglers like you understand. Thanks for the advice, if you see a numptie struggling with a fly rod in Mid August come on over and have a go. P.s what are the other 2 places?

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

When i said if i had the bottle , i was getting at me , i just wouldnt have any confidence i dont think , ive actualy tried it once but didnt have any joy , Dont get me wrong im sure its a killer method at certain times and places and I cant fault you for giving it a good go like .
    That 3 was actually a spelling mistake , :embarrass:...but there are plenty more places i would give a go with the fly like the south gare wading in between the rocky islands , maybe cowbar, staithes nab, port mulgrave , runswick and iwould defo be trying hummersea , Im sure they all have potential , its just having the bottle to give it a good go for me

9. mww

mww Rockling

I think you've a couple of things in your favour, you've got some experience of SWFF/ Fly Casting, & being located at RHB, which is a "known" bassy area - all you need now is to match the 2 & a bit of luck & you should be ok

As has been stated, RHB is quite a big area, so a low water recce is pretty much essential - the water can be pretty murky down there, especially after heavy rain &/or a decent sea, so to maximise your chance try & find water that's at least reasonably clear.

If you've caught a few bass already, you'll maybe have an idea of the sort of ground to look for - I'm by no means an expert on SWFF or bass fishing, but guess the usual advice of look for gullies & areas of rougher ground apply...

Just be really careful of getting cut off out on the scaur ends & particularly around the numerous little headland "cutoffs" that occur the length of the bay.

Be interested to know how you get on...

Mart

10. TangleJock

TangleJock Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Ptn,

I'm not in the Whitby area myself so cannot give any advice. Just wanted to say that I have over recent weeks found myself "lashing the sea into a foam" up here in Scotland. I have not yet caught sight of any bass, which is what I am really after, but I have seen an amazing number of good sea trout. Not landed one yet, but I had a good fish on a few nights ago, followed by two hard takes and instant releases, it was electrifying! I'm going to carry on with this fluff chucking in the sea, I know that one day it will happen.

Also, Champion, you mention these rubber sand eels but the picture is not displaying on my screen, could you re-post the image. I had a look at the link in your post but could not see the eels on this site. These eels may be good for the sea trout, I had my pulls on a sand eel imitation fly. Would appreciate any information on the manufacturer's name etc.

Good Luck on the bass fly sessions.

Tight lines,

David

11. ptn

Once again thanks for the invaluable advice. Just back from a short session on my local river, 4 Chub up to 2lb all on a grey wulff chest deep in a jungle of willow with only wagtails and kingfishers for company.

Bass not far from my mind though. Tanglejock, keep going and have faith, am sure you will catch and believe me Bass on fly are a buzz, such a sense of achievement seemingly against the odds. Can't help but believe that mww's belief in the importance of luck is right, once you've landed a fish or two belief/confidence/knowledge increases and you'll be away. Good luck.

I too like the idea of the rubber sand Eels though confess to having taken all my fly Bass on Poppers or Cats. Popper fishing is as good as it gets, exciting visible follows and powerful swirling takes. Is this type of surface action more likely in calmer, clearer, warmer southern waters? I suspect not given the number of Bass caught on Plugs reported on the forum.

With regards the dangers are waders the way forward or do they engender a false sense of security? I had a close call in dorset last year which I'm sure wouldn't have occured had I not been "Rubbered up". It's just too easy too get caught up in the moment if your too insulated from whats going on around you particularly when flyfishing which is inevitably more limited in range.

I will let you know for good or ill how I get on but know I will enjoy every minute of it, what's not to enjoy?

Thanks again
    Ed

12. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

going to give it a go myself as soon as we get some decent conditions