1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salmon/ Seatrout Season

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bulltrout, Nov 9, 2013.

1. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well was just wondering what type of season everyone had , Mine was pretty quiet really more because I didn't put a lot of effort in, my season started back in March on the river Tay plenty of springer's were around and getting caught but they seemed to evade me on that trip loads of Kelts about though and some very well mended ones. My next salmon fishing excursion wasn't un till may and the River Tay was the destination again Newtyle beat this resulted in a couple of days of losing fish and big fish at that but was nice to connect if nothing else.For the next couple of months I seemed to concentrate on trying to get out kayak fishing whenever I could with the odd trip down the River Esk in between but was pretty none eventful apart from brown trout. August I was heading north River Tay Newtyle beat again, a couple of warm days fishing resulted in one Grilse on fly one seatrout on fly and one salmon lost, that's the monkey off my back for that beat now and after learning a lot about the beat I cant wait till next season to get back up there and get a springer fingers crossed. the last couple of months of the season I had the odd trip down the river Esk that all in all resulted in 4 seatrout, caught 2 from a place where I have been trying for years but I think ive cracked it now will know more next season hopefully, also lost a lot of salmon at sleights one evening that also resulted in a snapped rod my trusty good old ugly stick finally gave in after playing so many fish over the years and being repaired a few times but that's what can happen when a salmons foul hooked in a swollen river, not foul hooked on purpose its what happens at sleights a lot fish become foulhooked (no skill required) because of the amount that can build up there when the rivers in spate especially at the bottom of the fish pass which by the way I was not fishing ( don't want to get in trouble with the beats ghillie / bailiff ) Also ive been sniped at in the past because of allegedly foul hooked fish all I can say is glass houses and stones spring to mind sorry but a lot to do with the river Esk and some of the anglers winds me up. that's me over n out tight lines for next season

2. bucko

bucko New Member

Not the best- but not the worst of seasons either.
    All sea trout for me- despite a couple of tussles with some salmon (sometimes in fast water you have no chance).
    The quality of the fish (and I don't mean size) I caught was superb though- real 'classic' looking fish.

3. Teesdale

Teesdale Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Its hard to believe that fishing is allowed in this place, theres a lot of Salmon come out of there side ways, and very few of them go back, very surprised the EFA have't had anything to say about it.
    Bet there's being more Salmon come of this little beat than ever came of the tide way, such a shame when you consider all the work that's being done to restore the runs of fish on the Esk.

4. bucko

bucko New Member

Forgot to mention the rarest incident this season- EA were out checking licences in the last week of the season.
    And the police were checking them in September!

5. trout and salmon

trout and salmon a silver salmon would be nice

Had 9 salmon this year could not find a sea trout think all nets at sea, harbour and tidal stretch must have got them all lol

6. bulltrout

Yeh i heard you and a few others had a good day at sleights with the salmon ;)

7. trout and salmon

trout and salmon a silver salmon would be nice

9 over the season not 1 day mate

8. faulkus

faulkus Blenny

I had a good sea trout season. The low water suited night fishing and my water on the Wear has some excellent holding pools.
    Quiet for salmon though. Apart from 2 at night I didnt have much success. Although I didnt fish for them much as with the good sea fishing I turned my attention to cod fairly early this year.
    Still havent managed to break the magic double figure barrier for sea trout - had a couple of near misses this year though.

9. bulltrout

Nice one Faulkus I used to fish the Wear pretty regular a few years ago what club you in, I was in BAAC and also Felling fly fishing club.

10. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

a lad i work with had an ok season on the eden and had afew fish up on the tay. he was up the times you were up mate. his name is robbie from carlisle.

mick