1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salmon Season 2012

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by skunkhead, Feb 7, 2012.

1. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Didn't realise a clay pigeon was classed as game.

2. bucko

bucko New Member

I'm just trying to get to grips with the point that anglers should be allowed to take a Tees springer when there's a "Slaughter" going on in the estuary. :whistle:

I wonder how many people who actually fish the Tees think its an outrage they can't tap one of what is a pretty poor Spring run on the head..........

Actually, I wonder how many real Tees rods want someone to appoint themselves as a spokesperson for them and the issues surrounding their future fishing. :tired:

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

:laugh: @ Matty

Good point Bucko. Funny isn't it, complains for ages about the Salmon slaugther at the barrage then complains that he can't kill what few do make it through :confused: it's a funny old world we live in.

4. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

im sorry lads but after all the moneies i paid out its catch & cosh for me :surprise: :laugh:

5. andym

andym Rockling

You take a clay pigeon for the pot!

Any good recipes lol

6. bucko

bucko New Member

I don't think anyone on here has any gripe with taking fish for eating Peter.
    Its just the constant steering of any topic into Tees Barrage/Seal territory thats the issue.

Anyway, instead of Lochbois constantly turning this forum into a Tees Barrage forum- i think I may have found the perfect outlet for all his 'slaughter' sightings where they could be turned into meaningful data......

Taken from Stockton Angling's website:
    "INCA (Industry Nature Conservation Association) could do with some help in carrying out seal monitoring surveys at the barrage this year. INCA have been carrying out observations of seals in the Tees for the last ten years or so which gives an increasingly robust picture of the status of the population. Up until last year the work was carried out by INCA but their funding has now been reduced by the Environment Agency and British Waterways and they are concentrating their efforts at Teesmouth.

These observations will provide continuity of data and keep track of seal population growth and the level of fish predation. This is particularly important this year as it is the first year that the canoe slalom fish passes and counters will be working in conjunction with the existing fish pass which now has had the trap removed. If there is still significant predation once these things are operational then it will give us the foundation to point out that the passes are still inadequate and that more work needs to be done.

Members interested in doing some of the observations around the barrage should contact Ben Lamb the Tees Rivers Trust Manager. Ben's email address is benlamb@teesriverstrust.org and his telephone number: 01833 690756"

7. Davo

Davo Rockling

Oh no, this will mean we going to get "millions" of seals in the river now. :laugh:

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Yep, what he said :yes:

9. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Regarding the Tees now being cleaner, with more migratory fish & seals etc, before the tees barage was built, did the first couple of years of "cleaner" river lead to an increase in fish overtime & if correct, more seals from the ss area move from the mud flats to gorge up river?

The reason ive asked is that when we used to connect up the lpg tankers etc, at the west byng/arthur taylor/qe2 jettys the "slems" overflow from both wilton & corus ran into the tees & no life could exist around this area !

We used to see literally tons of sprats in summer, come to the surface when they hit the "slems" outflow after the macky etc had driven them up river from the gare. sea gulls just sat there & ate that many they couldnt take off.

Iknow the odd fish may get through on a good spring /heavy rain torrent "freshening "/diluting the toxins etc, but now when all is starting to get better, do the lads that fish the tees blame the barrage for spoiling the run upstream (bit obvious) or is the cleaning of the tees a victim of its own success, ie: more fish = more food= more seals ?

10. Davo

Davo Rockling

The barrage hasn't made the river cleaner or increased the runs of fish. Water management has made the river cleaner and the runs of fish have always been really good, even before the clean water act of the early 80's. All the barrage has done regarding water quality is to stop water either good or bad going past it upriver. The EA and BW have always used the barrage as a tool to fool people to think otherwise and that the barrage has increased fish population and cleaner water. Only fools believe them. The EA have done some sterling work in on the spawning redds upstream, but i'm not sure how much of that work has impacted on returning fish to repeat the cycle? Even if the barrage did contribute to cleaner water, you could argue, however, that cleaner water benefits the fish that are hanging below the barrage, but if the barrage wasnt there, then the fish wouldn't have to benefit, because they would have already gone upstream to spawn. Just like they used to in the so called "dead years" of the river. Remove the barrage, and you will have an improved recruitment , but no water course etc. I suppose its trying to get the best balance for everyone.

11. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Only fools believe them,
    quite right , quite relevant, just taking a rest from learning "what a fool believes" by the doobies when i posted! ive got blisters on my fingers!

12. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Bucko. I am a member of Bishop Auckland Angling club.
    They have water on the Tees i have never ever fished for a salmon since 2002 on their Eggleston water. "Fact".
    To all i do ish for salmon and sea-trout on the river Wear.
    Last week i was watching a seal eating a nice spring fish in Billingam beck which is a tributery of the Tees.
    I also have the fishing on Burnfoot Beck which is a spawning ground for Tees fish in Teesdale. I enjoyed watching the Redds this Autumn ,but i dont fish it.
    The law states all fish bleeding have got to be returned even if they are dying.Why cant we take a dying fish?

13. bucko

bucko New Member

Report what you see to INCA.
    Let them put it into meaningful data to determine if the passes are working.
    Its much more productive than writing it on forums where people may choose to believe it or not.
    Get some photo's too to back up your claims.
    Until then- its just hearsay, rumour and speculation to many who read it.

You said to me a while ago you won't fish Tees for fear of looking a hypocrite.

14. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

By heck , i have never seen so many handbags swinging since i last past river island and next ,
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: my t1ts off

15. bucko

bucko New Member

Enjoy it Harry- sounds like those ribs need some tickling fella!

But, at the end of the day the barrage has virtually naff all to do with the interests of freshwater anglers who post on here.
    Those that ACTUALLY fish the Tees do it happily and I wish them well- as well as hoping those doing meaningful research on seal predation/downstream migration/lack of fish on redds come up with some solutions for the future of this magnificent piece of water.

In the meantime I'm off down Billingham Beck to try and winkle out a fish from its 'famous' Spring run!

16. bucko

bucko New Member

Oh, and sorry to Skunkhead who posted this thread in good faith. :embarrass:

I was going to have a go either on Tees or in Northumberland but from experience I find that snowmelt and salmon fishing don't go well together so it could be early March before I wet a line for migratories.

17. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Bucko ,Will you be fishing the tidal water on Billingham Beck or do you have permission to fish the private water.
    Work is being carried out on the water i fish and i have been clearing the pools out the last few weeks.
    The otter prints are eas to spot in the snow, but i havnt seen one yet.
    Somebody said the otters are feeding on th rainbow trout that come from West Lake .
    Have you caught any fish lately from the Billingham Beck? .
    If you have the E/A will be pleased to hear from you. It helps them with their studies on the Beck.
    I will be fishing the Beck from March 22 mainly for the big brown trout .
    I have been fishing the beck since my school days and its a shame that the other farmers didnt clear some of the trees out to help the flow.
    Worm is the bait i use.

18. Dav

Dav Rockling

Havent wet a line as yet , but going for a mooch on the tees on sunday i think , probably more of a recce . Ive heard stories about billingham beck and actually walked it around billingham a few times and stockton , altho i never seen a sausage .
    i also heard that there was someone who had been catching seatrout in the beck south of billingham last season altho i wouldnt have a clue were exactly and how you actually get onto that section that runs beside the a19 as for the tees i will be over the moon if i see a salmon above the barrage yet below darlo .
    Out of curiosity has anybody actually managed to get hold of one below darlo . ?

19. bucko

bucko New Member

I was joking about fishing Billingham Beck. Unless John Hall took me harling on his boat with Jeremy Clarkson as boatman.
    If I was to go out it would be somewhere with a real chance of a fish- not somewhere where they are generally the stuff of 'tall tales' and certainly somewhere a bit more scenic.
    Incidentally- I have just been looking at some stats from the seal monitoring.
    Sightings of feeding seals at Billingham Beck were recorded and in September 2010 only 1 sighting was recorded in 30 visits and October saw 1 sighting in 31 visits. I would say that gives an indication that very few fish run it.

20. Dav

Dav Rockling

:laugh: :laugh:.
    yeah it would be hard to think salmon do run it , You might get the odd fish nosing up it when the beck is running high yet the tees wasnt but i reckon theyd struggle come midsummer in the beck plus theyd more than liley be salmon bred in the tees there anyway and arnt they meant to retunr to there own redds generally ? , as for seatrout well if there is browns in there , i supose odds on you might get the odd seatrout run up it to ?
    Like you say ian there is plenty nicer spots on other rivers , but it would be nice to think they go up .