1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salmon / sea trout

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by faulkus, May 1, 2014.

1. faulkus

faulkus Blenny

We're into May now which for me means it's just a few weeks until my nights will be spent chasing sea trout.
    My fishing time will be split between the Wear (Durham) and the Ribble in Lancashire.

Anyone else be fishing for salmon/sea trout? What are your plans?

2. gogodorr2007

gogodorr2007 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Your presentation but useful.

3. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello Faulkus,
    I'm hoping to fish for sea trout on the wear this year myself. I've just this year joined CDAC and I've spent a few evenings and mornings looking around down the river to try and suss it out as it's pretty new to me.

Regards Ian

4. Dav

Dav Rockling

Hi , i had a few hours last tuesday night after a trout on the wear , seen a few fish movel but never contacted any unfortunatly .Was speaking to a couple pof lads who had already had a couple of fishso far this season one was 10lb and the other 7lb ..
    Ian are cdac taking memebrs, i did try to get back on there a couple of years ago but they werent taking then .? i used to love it around cocken farm proper out the way down there .
    Goodluck in your forays ian . if i can give you any advise stick to silver tubes with black and maybe abit of yellow or red in them . most of my fish have come to them combinations , obvioulsy other styles and colours work but not for me . ;D

5. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello Dav, I've had my name on ch-le-st list and got accepted for this season. I have a Chester-le-st address too.
    Thanks for the advice mate......I hope that I've something to report soon.
    Cheers Ian

6. faulkus

faulkus Blenny

Great to hear there's a few of us fishing the Wear - be good to share updates and reports.
    I managed a fish of around 6lb on my first visit this year - back in late May. Since then holidays and high water levels have kept me away apart from 1 blank last week.
    I'm heading over to fish it tonight although it still looks high with maybe some colour - not ideal. But it's due to rain again tomorrow so that'll put it out again until next week.
    Could really do with some dry settled conditions.
    I echo Dav's wise words about fly choice. I now tend to use black/silver tubes on point and dropper, usually with a sink tip line.
    Will report back on how I get on tonight.

7. faulkus

faulkus Blenny

Had a reall good night - caught a brace at 7lb and 4lb. River was still carrying some colour but no rain forecast so should clear and fish really well into the weekend. There seem to be plenty of fish in the system.

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

Have had any more success faulkus . How you getting on with it Ian ?
    Ive only been out a handful of times this season and luckily enough managed to get hold of one seatrout around 3lb on the fly around 4 weeks ago . defos worth 5 on the spinner imo...il upload a piccie

9. faulkus

faulkus Blenny

With snow on the ground in many places it's hard to believe that I'll be night fishing for sea trout again in 7 or 8 weeks.
    Can't wait - feels a long time since I was last at it.

Dav, Ian - will you be after them again this year?